Gavin Harrison here!

Cool. I've been there many times, but wanted to make sure it worked for anyone else wanting to check it out. Sure they could take the long way but some may not even bother wich would be a shame.

Stu_Strib said:
Also, I just moved here to the UK from the States, and I never heard of your band over there. Do you have a pretty good following Stateside, or is that something you are trying to break into more?
I have known about Porcupine Tree for about 8 months after I heard the single Shallow. I didnt know the depth of the band though till I bought the album. I love Deadwing. Killer album. Great drums, if I dont suck up myself. I love to play to The Start of Something. Great stuff. I was pretty sure I read in Modern Drummer, that you said the song was kind of written around that initial beat. Am I write, or am I thinking of something else? Anyways, its awesome to have you here at DW.

Hi Gavin! Big fan here!

I love your drumming with PT and Franco Battiato, simple to hear but not to play!

I've seen you also in tour with Claudio Baglioni (two drummers on stage, you and Elio Rivagli) - absolutely great!

PS. Cool the GHFC avatar....!!

Hi Tom,
thanks for the kind words!!

brittc89
Yes you're right that song started with that verse drum groove. I enjoy playing it too - although it's quite hard to make it feel right.

Secio
Wow, I haven't worked with Franco in a long time - but I really liked his approach to music - and he was always a real gentleman. I had a good time in France recording "L'imboscata". Playing with Elio in a two drummer situation was very interesting. Elio is a master of understatement and made it so easy to play with. We had a great time.

Cheers
Gavin

Heres my question, and its probably the simplest yet:
What is that little black piece of equipment on the left side with all the splashes/chimes? I like the idea of one peice to hold all those cymbals, but I have never seen one, nor can I seem to find one.

Hi ZDrums24,
It's a custom piece that a friend of mine made. I designed it because it was a real problem to get 5 little cymbals all close together like that using standard cymbal boom arms. It looked a mess too.
So far the new arm has held up for 15 years now!!!

I think Pearl make something similar to it with a bar and little extensions and also Sabian do something for Jack DeJohnette

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Hopefully you won't mind answering my question. I think it's so cool that you come on here and spend time chatting with us.

I was wondering firstly what you think of Chris Maitland, the previous PT drummer? I really enjoy his playing and his style. How do you approach his parts? Do you like to replicate them quite exactly, or do you prefer to add in your own touches? I always like to hear two drummers' different takes on the same song.

Cheers,

Jonny

Hi Jonny,
yes Chris is a great drummer. We have quite different styles and probably come from different musical backgrounds. Obviously I listened to his drum parts when I joined the band and tried to work out which parts were crucial to the song's composition, and which parts I could take liberties with and do my own thing. I'm a player who likes to play different every night (even if it's only subtleties that only I notice some nights). That way the parts and the fills are always evolving and mutating - including the parts that I composed for the last two PT albums. I put this down to my jazz upbringing.
I don't know what Chris's early influences were, but (from what the other band members have told me) he liked to play exactly the same parts and fills every night. Nothing wrong or right with either approach - it's just two different ways from two different drummers.

If you're very familiar with the back catalogue stuff - you'll get to hear how I approach the older songs when our live DVD is released soon.

cheers
Gavin

Greetings Gavin! I am a drummer from Moscow (Russia) and I your big admirer. PT - one of my favourite groups, in many respects due to your plaing drums. I have site www.playdrums.ru. It in Russian, and I would like ask you about small interview for your Russian fans whom in Russia much, it is especial among the Russian drummers.

P.S. Sorry fof my English!

This site is improving my life everyday! I didn`t know PT until today and i am SPEECHLESS! That is the drumming style that gets my blood flowin`. I hold you in high respect, and i`m pretty sure that your fan base is going to expand within my relatives.

I too never really play the songs exactly the same, voluntarily and because i learned playing in jam sessions and filling the seat in a lot of different bands. I tought it was something i had to fix if i ever wanted to go pro, now i know a pro that do the same in the same music style( PT at least), great!!

Hi gaspesien,
thanks for the kind words - glad you're hearing some PT.
I think my reasons for trying to play a little bit different every night is in two parts.
1. I want to evolve as a player and keep pushing myself.
2. I think I would go CRAZY if I played the same fills every night.

I suppose it's down to the fact that I'm rhythmically curious - and I have quite a restless nature.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Just checking in from the other end of the M4!

Am I right in thinking that you played with Artful Dodger a few years back? I remember seeing several live performances on TOTP and some other shows. I believe I saw the track they performed with Lifford.

Whilst that type of thing isn't something I'd usually go for, I remember being intrigued due to the interesting drumming.

Thanks.

Chris

Thanks Gavin.

That's right! You used something like a 20" or 18" bass drum, a tiny snare and even smaller hi hat!!! I remember it now, it was back in your Pearl days?

...oh, and don't forget the splashes too!

You're obviously someone who is happy to experiment and think 'outside the box' to achieve the required sound for a particular gig. How did you approach that? Did the artists have any input or was it something they left to your imagination?

I remember watching it, then promptly altering my set-up in the spare room!!! LOL

Nice one...

Gavin Harrison said:
Hi Jonny,
yes Chris is a great drummer. We have quite different styles and probably come from different musical backgrounds. Obviously I listened to his drum parts when I joined the band and tried to work out which parts were crucial to the song's composition, and which parts I could take liberties with and do my own thing. I'm a player who likes to play different every night (even if it's only subtleties that only I notice some nights). That way the parts and the fills are always evolving and mutating - including the parts that I composed for the last two PT albums. I put this down to my jazz upbringing.
I don't know what Chris's early influences were, but (from what the other band members have told me) he liked to play exactly the same parts and fills every night. Nothing wrong or right with either approach - it's just two different ways from two different drummers.

If you're very familiar with the back catalogue stuff - you'll get to hear how I approach the older songs when our live DVD is released soon.

cheers
Gavin

I would just like to say that I appreciate all the little nuances you have added to the back catalog. While Chris is no slouch, your Jazz background has really added a nice feel to these classic tunes, the ghost notes, cymbal work etc really keep the original 'intent' of the rhythm, but at the same time making them something new and exciting.

I am NOT a drummer, nor do I have any real skill in any instrument. But, the drums and the drum/bass interaction is my favorite part of music and PT is absolutely the master of this. I can only imagine that having a bassist like Colin makes your job much more fun!

Thanks for all your hard work!

ps: I just enjoy the hell out of watching your DVD, even though I don't play the drums, I just find your concepts totally facinating!

Gavin-

Hi there. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer all of these questions. It's great to read your insights.

A quick "thank you" to you and the rest of Porcupine Tree for restoring my faith in music. I think "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" are nothing less than spectacular, and I cannot wait to see what lies ahead for you guys!

Quick comment/question: The boys in *Rush* seem to have very HIGH praise for you guys lately. I've read numerous interviews with Alex Lifeson, where he mentions his appreciation for your music. And Neil Peart as well - very recently in fact (in a "Drummer" interview), he explicitly cited your drumming as being "creative" and "inspiring". I was just wondering what your opinion was/is on Rush, and if there might be some possibility of PT collaborating with them at some point. Much as I enjoy seeing you guys headline your own shows, I think a Rush/PT double bill would be a fantastic pairing. The Internet rumor mill has been rumbling for some time now................can you comment??

Thanks for your time, and especially for your incredible music/drumming.

Kevin (Buffalo, NY)

Back