One Hit Wonders

Dishwalla Counting blue cars

but Marcy playground also had st Joe on the school bus
and lit had miserable which was pretty big also.

I seen a one hit wonder episode on VH1 last week.Turned it off after like the third band...because they had Ratt and Whitesnake,and Billy Idol.

Depending on how you look at it I guess,but none of them bands were even close to one hit wonders.

If you were into Hard Rock,Ratt and Whitesnake had multiple hits,and Billy Idol had like 10 didnt he?

Anyway,turned it off,after realizing they were kinda ripping on bands,that didnt have U2 like status,or at least multiple tunes on the top 40.

But as for this list....the all time one hit wonder is Don Mclean,with American Pie.

And I don't know who originally did that song that goes kinda like "I'm, to sexy for my shirt."
That song was such genius, there was no topping it. I'm glad they didn't even try for another after that (they didn't, did they?). I still laugh when I hear it!

How about "Ah! Leah!", by Donny Iris. Love the drumming on that one.

...But as for this list....the all time one hit wonder is Don Mclean,with American Pie.

Don was 2 hit wonder. He was nominated for a Grammy for "Vincent" back in the early '70s.

Helen Reddy got the Grammy that year for her one-hit: "I am Woman".

Apologies ahead of time If someone already mentioned this in the thread. Went through all the posts kindof fast and didn't see it.

What I think could be the most significant one hit wonder ever.

The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star

The first video ever shown on MTV (Back when MTV actually stood for Music Television).

Star Treking.

Not sure about anything else about the song, other than,

"its worse than that, he's dead Jim, Dead Jim, Dead Jim, Its worse that that he's Dead Jim Dead, Dead Jim, Dead".

and

There,s Clingon's on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow, etc...

a bunch of good old garage bands, i didnt read every post so these might be repeats

The Standells - Dirty Water
The Seeds - Cant seem to make you mine
The E types - Put the clock back on the wall
Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incence and Peppermints
Syndicate of sound - Hey little Girl
The Soincs even though i dont know if they got big at all but they are still really cool with strychnine, the witch, psycho, and the some

some others
The Vevlet Underground(Lou Reed) - Sweet Jane
The Troggs - Wild thing
Sam the Sham & the pharaohs - Wooly Bully
oh and one last one howabout
Focus - Hocus Pocus

After The Time ~ Der Kommiser, something like that.

Asia ~ Heat of the Moment.

Nina Hagen ~ Smack Jack.

Men At Work ~ Down under.

Warrant ~ Cherry Pie.

Pat Benatar - we belong together
Bangles - Eternal Flame
Frankie goes to hollywood- The power of love
The real thing - You to me are everything
Leo sayer - When i need you

Assuming a 'hit' is defined as chart success (Top 40 and subsequent airplay) and NOT just a number one position.....then I dispute all of these save for The Real Thing.

What about??

Frankie Goes To Hollywood: (see Crusher's previous post)
Bangles: Manic Monday, Walk Like An Egyptian, If She Knew What She Wants.
Pat Benatar: All Fired Up, Love Is a Battlefield, Hit Me with Your Best Shot, Heartbreaker
Leo Sayer: Moonlighting, You Make Me Feel Like Dancing, More Than I Can Say, Have You Ever Been In Love.

Multiple hits by each artist listed.

After The Time ~ Der Kommiser, something like that.

Asia ~ Heat of the Moment.

Nina Hagen ~ Smack Jack.

Warrant ~ Cherry Pie.

Actually Ian, Men at Work's first hit was Who Can It Be Now. They had another songs that charted: Be Good Johnny.

Land Down Under might have been their only international hit, and was definitely their biggest.

PFOG, do you remember Russell Morris's The Real Thing (I think it was produced by Molly) or Jeff St John's psychedelic version of Reach Out?

PFOG, do you remember Russell Morris's The Real Thing (I think it was produced by Molly) or Jeff St John's psychedelic version of Reach Out?

I do remember RM's The Real Thing, Pol......have seen him live a couple of times playing acoustically. He still plays it.....great stuff it is too. Indeed it was produced by Molly. His first foray into production I believe......good way to get started too!!

I do remember RM's The Real Thing, Pol......have seen him live a couple of times playing acoustically. He still plays it.....great stuff it is too. Indeed it was produced by Molly. His first foray into production I believe......good way to get started too!!

Yeah, he did a great job. So Polly guessed it was Molly haha

I was crazy about that track at the time ... was it 1970? Heard some tales about him that would curl your toes but his creative vision on that track was spot on.

Powerman 5000 - When Worlds Collide

Their song "Free" was also pretty popular. I think they also had a song as the WWE theme for a while (for the organization or for a wrestler, I don't know). So not so much One Hit as "Relatively obscure".

Warrant ~ Cherry Pie.

Men At Work did "Who Can It Be Now" and Warrant did "The Bitter Pill" and "Heaven"

I was going to say The Monkees but then I realized they did two songs people will remember... even if "I'm a Believer" is because it was covered.

So, how bout N'Sync and 98 Degrees? And any other late 90's boy band.

Back