cymbal stand "tops"

ploof

I'm trying to buy some tops for my cymbal stands, I've lost a few gigging over time and have never replaced them. I've managed to find cymbal felts and cymbal sleeves, but can't seem to replace the metal threaded screw tops that will hold my cymbals on their stands.

Thanks in advance!

Take the cymbal arm to a hardware store. These wingnuts are nothing exotic, just 6 or 8 mm threads. You can buy all you want for 10 cents each, or get the same thing from the manufacturer for much more, unless you are looking for some with an OEM look.

I use an entire set of Vater Slicknuts . Nothing beats 'em.

Hardware store wing nuts are too small on the grip and not ergonomically comfortable.

Slikc Nuts are great if you like to use a felt on top of your cymbal.

If you like your cymbals to have their full say, the all in one (sleeve/nut) style of wing nut is best with no felt. If you need to interrupt the cymbals voice, you can add a felt on top.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 311
Hardware store wing nuts are too small on the grip and not ergonomically comfortable.

Slikc Nuts are great if you like to use a felt on top of your cymbal.

If you like your cymbals to have their full say, the all in one (sleeve/nut) style of wing nut is best with no felt. If you need to interrupt the cymbals voice, you can add a felt on top.

Hardware store wing nuts may indeed be too small, but they have worked for many decades, when used in combination with a washer and cymbal felts. 99 percent of drummers do use felts of various thicknesses, although there are new ideas all the time. You can also pull felts apart to make them thinner.

One drawback of Slicknuts is they can pop off if you hit the cymbal really hard. You can tighten up the hex set screw to make them extremely secure but then that negates the quick-on-quick-off feature.

The all-in-one sleeve/wingnut is good if you like your cymbals to have a very large range of motion. In a set like mine, that could mean the cymbal would hit other cymbals, drums or rims. The size of the typical felt makes no noticeable difference on the sound, but an overly-tight wing nut can choke a cymbal.

Back