Shure Drum Mics

I like shure gear, have a shure in ear mon and some beta 58 vocal mics and sm57 instrument but I actually ended up buying the drum mic kit from audio technica for about the same money, just sounded better to my ears.

Last edited:
I lie shure gear, have a shure in ear mon and some beta 58 vocal mics and sm57 instrument but I actually ended up buying the drum mic kit from audio technica, just sounded better to my ears.

I have Shure Beta 58A, SM57 and Beta 52 bass drum mics. I also have Audio Technica Pro 25 clip ons that I use for toms and snare. Really, you can't go wrong with Shure or Audio Technica.

yeah they'll be totally fine
mics are really overrated, awful engineers mess up u87s just as much as an sm58

If they are new for $200 snag them. They are tough as can be. I bought a used set 4-5 years ago for $100 and they have been through hell and back. I used backline half the time and these with my kits the other half. So, my PG set has probably seen 900 or so gigs with me. No telling how many the original owner put on them. Depending on how often you work you might consider using the pg52 as a floor tom mic and buying a slightly better mic for your kick. I am not saying you can't use the pg52 for your kick, but it is not the easiest kick mic to work with depending on the sound you are trying to achieve.

I never used those particular microphones, but Shure as a company is hard to beat. I've been using Shure products for close to 40 years. SM7s, SM 5B, SM56, SM 57, SM 58, SM81, 545, 548, 55 ... you get the picture.

Dennis

I'm using the PG81s as my overheads because I don't have $600 to drop on used SM81s. I don't think I'll ever buy the SM81s because for me, the PGs are just fine.

Concur with previous on the PG52...not a great bass drum mic, but adequate. Maybe sell it to a bass guitarist and plop a better mic on your bass drum.

They are used, but only three times. My aunt's friend sent me an invoice of $15,000 dollars worth of sound equipment (Mostly Peavey and Shure) and told me I could have any of it for half the price. These are the times I wish I had much more money lol

Anyway, I guess I'm going to pull the trigger on this. You guys seem to have solidified what my understanding of the mics are. I'm also going to get an sm57 instrument mic. I already have the audio-technica version of the sm57, but I can pretty much get it for free and you can't have too many mics.

I'm using the PG81s as my overheads because I don't have $600 to drop on used SM81s. I don't think I'll ever buy the SM81s because for me, the PGs are just fine.

Concur with previous on the PG52...not a great bass drum mic, but adequate. Maybe sell it to a bass guitarist and plop a better mic on your bass drum.

I've never thought about using a bass drum mic for bass guitar. Does that turn out pretty good? May be what I end up doing, but I'll have to see what I can do with it first.

Look up Mike Johnston on Youtube or drumteacher76 he uses Shure PG mics on his toms and his kit sounds amazing. He uses Audix D6 on the kick and Shure SM57 on the snare. Over heads AT4040.

They are great mics for the price.

Back