Neil Peart

Well written Anne and great music citations from Rush's library. I think the rigidity that Neil has was addressed eons ago in this thread: stadium progressive rock back in the 70s and 80s on top of playing with sequencers in the 80s and 90s. The rock in rio dvd has loads of "things that can go wrong" when you deal with all that technology and every part of it is crucial to pulling off a great Rush show (they seem to be perfectionist-like). All that pressure can make one play rigid. I tend to think he looks looser when playing in his Anatomy dvd during the "exploration" parts (except for some Africanesque high tom playing). I don't know, I like him and he is and always will be my drum hero even though I'm well aware others can out-play him.

My wife picked me up the snakes and arrows live DVD yesterday. I enjoyed it immensly. I enjoyed the live versions of some of the older songs and Neil's solo is newer and fresher, though still with elements of the old solo..lol.

Anne makes the point well. Neil is an excellent drummer and has certainly influenced about 10 million more drummers then I ever will. Maybe he's not the Best drummer that ever lived but he is certainly better then I am. What he plays fits perfectly with Rush. Does he try to better himself? Probably, We all do. And I'd certainly trade places with him for a few paychecks. lol

I just read the best/worst solo's list.................. Now I need to listen to em all to see which one I really like best, Rush in Rio was excellent, and the YYZ solo was the first one I ever studied and played (Parts of anyway), I enjoyed the snakes solo... but probably have to rank RIR my fave.

Last edited:
Haha, I bet it's because Neil doesn't play jazz as much as Rush stuff. We've all got something to improve on.

Actually, I think Rush as a whole should get into more jazz & blues, or just something completely different from what they're doing now. If you listen to Vapor Trails (after remastering) and Snakes & Arrows, they're actually pretty tired albums. Your 'older stuff' does NOT count as something completely different, you sillies! (A reference to Alex Lifeson's Guitar Player interview in 2007) They did that back in the Permanent Waves-Grace Under Pressure era, when they realized they couldn't play 'just rock'. What came out of that? Strong reggae influences.

On a similar note, I believe more fans should not be blinded by their love and ignore their idol's mistakes. Rather, a true fan should be a little like a good teacher--they should be able to identify what is wrong with their idol's music and give suggestions to help them improve. There must always be a balance of Love and Reason.

I myself, am aware of these things, I made the comments so that they may aid this thread in a better direction. As I observed, just a few posts ago, it was two guys bantering and shooting across each others bow. And there were too many black and white comments "Hate him/Love him" with nothing in the middle.

I liked some material on vapor trails, S&A is still weak to me, my listening is tentative at best. The last album I really enjoyed was test for echo. I can say though, there are some hard core Rush fans that jumped off the wagon at signals. They didn't accept the change. With me I try to let an album sink in, but with S&A to this day, not much sticks with me after the fact.

Either way, the merits and perceived shortcomings need to be discussed coequally. It's not constructive for either blind praise or rabble-rousers who drop by the thread just to bash. The bashers can be the worst, as they rarely, if ever elaborate other than to say "He's not my cup of tea.".

Rush is supposed to be working on something new. I really wish it would be more raw, on the level of permanent waves. Maybe one last album where they can capture something more concrete and go out in better form, at least to me.

I never got any "soul" from Peart... and I have listed to everything he's done. The closest thing to "groove" is mystic rhythms and body electric. I also wouldn't call Rush danceable music, and yes, I agree... his playing is on the stiff and robotic side of the spectrum.

To say he plays with soul is kind of stretching the definition. I believe the people who blindly praise are unrealistic about Neils limits and his sound. I know this may shock some fans, but yes, as much as I love Neils work...he has limits.

If someone asked me would I rather play like Peart or Coliauta, I'd opt for Vinnies abilities in a second. Vinnie could play everything Peart can, and then slip over and play megadeth, and then sit in and play big band swing or deep in the pocket. Peart stops at...Peart. His jazz sounds really rigid, like he is channeling Rush into Buddy's music. Doesn't work for me.

Hmm...

that's interesting, 'cause the definition of soul is STILL not defined by any post that leans toward "negatives and "nay-saying". It's obvious that there's a disparity between what drummers we admire and which ones fall short of our impressiveness.

To compare NP with VC, is just a cop-out and unfair to BOTH. They are both "equal" in the genre that they accompany. And to even bring up what one "can do what the other can" is a bit lacking in depth of point.

Look, you like who you like. I'm not gonna dispute that. But anything that's a "bash-like" comment towards NP, really doesn't hold water for a guy that's accomplished what he has, and not warranted.

What I believe is "soul" may not be the same as what someone else feels. Which is simply a difference of opinion.

And I simply agree to disagree with your assertion.

;-)

Hmm...

that's interesting, 'cause the definition of soul is STILL not defined by any post that leans toward "negatives and "nay-saying". It's obvious that there's a disparity between what drummers we admire and which ones fall short of our impressiveness.

To compare NP with VC, is just a cop-out and unfair to BOTH. They are both "equal" in the genre that they accompany. And to even bring up what one "can do what the other can" is a bit lacking in depth of point.

Look, you like who you like. I'm not gonna dispute that. But anything that's a "bash-like" comment towards NP, really doesn't hold water for a guy that's accomplished what he has, and not warranted.

What I believe is "soul" may not be the same as what someone else feels. Which is simply a difference of opinion.

And I simply agree to disagree with your assertion.

;-)

You have reinforced my point. You reject any and all critiques of Neil, even in the slightest. If someone doesn't think Neil has much soul or groove, automatically you dismiss the opinion as if it could not possibly exist in any universe. Not to mention, since Neil is not omnipotent as a drummer (notably swing and groove) you treat anything that implies this as a bash. More to discuss.

I would be lying if I said he grooves like Stanton Moore. I would be exaggerating if I said he could swing like Art Blakey. There has to be a line of demarcation between what Neil excels at, and what he doesn't.

Meanwhile, an interview I have never seen.

Neil Peart is interviewed by John Oakley for "Burning for Buddy"
Is on youtube.

Last edited:
With all that has gone on in this thread over the past few days I feel compelled to share a story.

I was 17 years old at the time and was watching A Show of Hands. My great-aunt Bernice was walking by and saw the enormous drumset and asked, "Who is that? He sure has a lot of drums." I felt like this was a good opportunity to share my belief at the time: "That's Neil "Pert" and he is the best drummer in the world." Without hesitation she scoffed and replied, "Well I'm sure Buddy Rich would have something to say about that." I was floored as I sort of knew who BR was. At first I was thinking, "whatever, Neil would destroy that old man." But I took the high road and let her have her opinion. It was okay to accept that Neil was possibly not the best in some people's minds. I think the people who try to "slam" him are actually and honestly looking for a reason why people love him so much. What is it about Neil's drumming that is so exciting? Or it could be that people just feel like slamming a hero. It is just human nature to let someone have it when they mash your favorite things under their feet (safely behind their computer I might add). So all in all, it is okay if people have different thoughts and if they seem like they are coming to a thread that is supposed to give kudos to an individual only to "slam" them try to believe most of them are only offering a challenge that can be backed up quite well. It is hard though, you just want to reach through the screen and cut off their air supply. But remember that this is a discussion forum and if we respond with anger, no good is gained.

I myself, am aware of these things, I made the comments so that they may aid this thread in a better direction. As I observed, just a few posts ago, it was two guys bantering and shooting across each others bow. And there were too many black and white comments "Hate him/Love him" with nothing in the middle.

I liked some material on vapor trails, S&A is still weak to me, my listening is tentative at best. The last album I really enjoyed was test for echo. I can say though, there are some hard core Rush fans that jumped off the wagon at signals. They didn't accept the change. With me I try to let an album sink in, but with S&A to this day, not much sticks with me after the fact.

Either way, the merits and perceived shortcomings need to be discussed coequally. It's not constructive for either blind praise or rabble-rousers who drop by the thread just to bash. The bashers can be the worst, as they rarely, if ever elaborate other than to say "He's not my cup of tea.".

Rush is supposed to be working on something new. I really wish it would be more raw, on the level of permanent waves. Maybe one last album where they can capture something more concrete and go out in better form, at least to me.

Thanks a lot for having a developed opinion. You can't imagine what the community is like where I come from. Everybody over there has a mindless black-or-white opinion, and have a pretty messed up idea of what 'good music' is.

Hah, even my dad is black and white. (Rush love is genetic) He loves Rush, but sometimes I don't think he's fully aware of Rush's weaknesses. Alex's picking attack is messy, and Geddy admits he can't slap or pluck and he doesn't sing great live anymore, and Neil Peart... I think he relies on electronics and samplers a bit too much. They all need to go out and find something new.

(Good music is not a fact, you ninnies! It is an opinion based on your tastes and what you feel is important in music!)

The worshipers are about as bad as the babble-rousers. They're like, enemies of each other, and that's why they exist.

Heck, Neil HATES that worshiping stuff. I think he much prefers critiquing fans.

I know this was your opinion and I do respect it (as should everyone here on the best drumming website ever). What defines drumming as having soul? What is "soul" to you? I'm just asking for clarification from not only you but other members who continuously whip this type of comment out to describe Neil and others without any sort of backup. So I guess I need an education. And please read this as a friendly request, I really am asking this question politely to avoid any feuds which can safely take place over the internet. I'm sure there is a "search" function here that I can use but I want to hear about it now.
One word: Bonham.

'Soul' to me is hearing the person through the music. The technique of the playing is irrelevant. If I listen to 'Interstellar Space' by John Coltrane - I hear a lot of notes, but I also hear John Coltrane. If I listen to a lot of technically demanding drumming I don't often hear a person making a statement there, I just hear a lot of technically demanding drumming. Almost invariably I like music because I'm hearing people, not notes.
Keith Moon was the best at that. There's no denying that, from a techniqure point of view, that Neil is a lot better than Keith was...It's just...I can't explain (no pun intended)

And I don't think I've really given Rush a proper chance. Maybe later, when get un-addicted to the NWOBHM...If that ever happens :p

With all that has gone on in this thread over the past few days I feel compelled to share a story.

I was 17 years old at the time and was watching A Show of Hands. My great-aunt Bernice was walking by and saw the enormous drumset and asked, "Who is that? He sure has a lot of drums." I felt like this was a good opportunity to share my belief at the time: "That's Neil "Pert" and he is the best drummer in the world." Without hesitation she scoffed and replied, "Well I'm sure Buddy Rich would have something to say about that." I was floored as I sort of knew who BR was. At first I was thinking, "whatever, Neil would destroy that old man." But I took the high road and let her have her opinion. It was okay to accept that Neil was possibly not the best in some people's minds. I think the people who try to "slam" him are actually and honestly looking for a reason why people love him so much. What is it about Neil's drumming that is so exciting? Or it could be that people just feel like slamming a hero. It is just human nature to let someone have it when they mash your favorite things under their feet (safely behind their computer I might add). So all in all, it is okay if people have different thoughts and if they seem like they are coming to a thread that is supposed to give kudos to an individual only to "slam" them try to believe most of them are only offering a challenge that can be backed up quite well. It is hard though, you just want to reach through the screen and cut off their air supply. But remember that this is a discussion forum and if we respond with anger, no good is gained.

Touche', Zumba Zumba...Touche'. ;-)

Well spoken and so true.

Exactly my take on all this.

Posts deleted. Talk with each other, not about each other. Thanks, and have a nice day.

(illegal smilie of your choice)

Administrator DogBreath to the rescue! I was wondering when this was going to happen(illegal lol).

Anyways, I recognize Niel's limits, but also am a dedicated fanboy nonetheless.

Neil 4life!

Sorry, sorry, sarcasm is hard to convey. I was joking that I am afraid that if I start talking about Neil (or Bermuda, or Akira Jimbo) that I'll start typing in all caps and then I might have to ban myself (as Bernhard occasionally threatens to do).

Sorry, sorry, sarcasm is hard to convey. I was joking that I am afraid that if I start talking about Neil (or Bermuda, or Akira Jimbo) that I'll start typing in all caps and then I might have to ban myself (as Bernhard occasionally threatens to do).

xD Haha, you actually have a good point.

I've been a Neil fan since 1982, but I've only seen Rush 5 times (a mere smidgeon compared to some of you folks). However, as much as I love Neil and the band, I sure do miss the Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures days. To me, that was when the guys were really in their prime. Don't get me wrong...I've enjoyed many albums since then, but those semi-earlier albums were something special.

I've been a Neil fan since 1982, but I've only seen Rush 5 times (a mere smidgeon compared to some of you folks). However, as much as I love Neil and the band, I sure do miss the Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures days. To me, that was when the guys were really in their prime. Don't get me wrong...I've enjoyed many albums since then, but those semi-earlier albums were something special.

There was a grittiness to that era. Compare the sound of permanent waves of fly by night to the overdone (IMO) vapor trails. There is more edge, and more bite. I am also a huge fan of the underrated era from signals through Test for echo.

I think when all is said and done, the most slam comes from the 1st era. I was just listening to xm/sirius Rush deep cuts. They played everything from "lakeside park" to "Xanadu." The 1st era for me was the more primal in terms of both energy and visceral impact.

Back