What do you do with your sticks?

dkerwood

Silver Member
What do you do with your sticks?

You're playing along and suddenly a stick shatters. Or maybe it catches on the tom rim and launches into the guitar player. Or maybe you just want to switch over to mallets for the big cymbal roll coming up.

So what do you do to hold your extra sticks during practice or a gig? What about brushes/mallets or other sizes of drumsticks? If possible, show pictures!

On my old kit, I would hang my stickbag from the floor tom. Any sticks needed during the particular song would go under my butt until needed. :) No pics because on the new kit, the RIMS mount on the low tom interferes with the stickbag... I'm still working on a new system.

*bump* (and I promise not to bump it again... I just didn't want to repost)

Whenever I need to make a switch during a song, I'll hold the sticks/brushes/mallets under my arm or on the floor tom if I'm not using it. For extra sticks in case I break one (which I never do anymore, it seems), I have my stick bag on my floor tom, tied around the heads of the tension rods. I know that this doesn't help you in your situations, but it's what I do...

i usually just keep sticks on my bass drum and i have a stick holder. a friend of mine will sit on 2 sticks one on each side and when he breaks a stick picks it out from under his butt.

Whenever I need to make a switch during a song, I'll hold the sticks/brushes/mallets under my arm...

Yep this or like Steve Smith (Oh was it him ???), anyway, under one of your leg.

Anything else is in my stick holder under the hi-hat or sticks bag on my floor tom.

stick bag on the right, stick holder on the left mounted off a cymbal stand. If I need to change to mallets or another type of stick depending on the song I'll set them on the floor tom otherwise under my arm.

I have one of those Meinl percussion tables, which mounts to my rack. It works wonders. I have an extra pair of sticks there, my mallets, brushes, metronome, I picture of my girlfriend, and usually my lunch during long practice days.

I have one of those Meinl percussion tables, which mounts to my rack. It works wonders. I have an extra pair of sticks there, my mallets, brushes, metronome, I picture of my girlfriend, and usually my lunch during long practice days.

See, now THAT'S what I'm talking about! I like the idea of putting spare sticks on the kick, but when I'm playing in church (on an acoustic kit, anyway), I need sticks, mallets, brushes, rutes, and usually some aux percussion like shakers or a triangle. Sometimes I'll use them all over the course of one song (okay, not really, but it seems that fast sometimes).

I once knew a guy who bent the loop end of his retractable brushes at a right angle. He then would hang his brushes off of the floor tom's lugs, ready to be used. The same cat would sometimes hold a stick in his teeth when doing brushwork if he needed to make a quick transition.

I'm going to invent a stick holder that will snap to the top of my headphones so I always have one in reach.

I have a skinny stick bag that holds about 4 or 5 pair. I used to put it on my floor tom but I found it to be more accessible when I started putting it on my snare. I attach it to the bottom lugs of the snare. I keep it fairly loose and it does not affect the sound of the snare and it's right between my legs, if I break or lose a stick I can just reach down and keep jammin.

Cool way to keep them when your not using them.

Attachments

• drum-stick-display-rack.jpg
    drum-stick-display-rack.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 155
When I am playing, I take a few pairs out of my stick bag and put them in the floor, usually on my left or right side. I also put a few pair in my Vate Stick Holder. Basiclly, I have sticks all round me when I play.

Back