Drum shoes

drummingman

Gold Member
I'm looking for some good shoes for playing drums in. I've played in Chuck's for years but I'm now looking for something with more padding on the inner sole.

I tried the DB drum shoes and did not like them. The instep of the shoe was too high.

Does Vic Firth still make thier drum shoes?

I have a wide foot with a high instep, so it's hard for me to find shoes that feel great.

i just use flat soled shoes, some adidas/nikes or boxfresh plimsole type things
as long as they have flat soles its cool
my feet are size 15 US so its hard to find stuff

Have you tried playing barefoot (or w/ socks)?

Pros:
No need for shoes, no need to bother _which_ shoes to buy. Any technique will work equally well. Minimum friction with certain "special" techniques like swiveling. (And there is quite some difference in playing feel, depending on the socks used! Some have more friction than others.)

Cons:
Less punch/volume. More strain on the ankles. Small likeliness to maybe catch a splinter from a stick. Getting cold feet during the winter.

I was going barefoot until recently I started playing at least sometimes with shoes - I'm using Dreaks drumming shoes. They are ok but when I started practicing singles w/ swiveling I noticed they have too much grip - which is good for some stuff and bad for other. Next time I'm in for buying drumming shoes I'll check that parameter, too. Now I'm going some 30% with footwear, but mostly playing w/ socks.

if you are playing at home/recording then sure barefeet is fine (it actually provides a lot of traction on the pedals as long as you keep your feet dry), but live... be far too sweaty

PS: There's already a (big) thread o drum shoes... somewhere here on DRUMMERWORLD.

I thought this thread was more specific to the OP's feet.

well this is the new drum shoes thread. don't worry, people duplicate threads about which double kick pedal to buy all the time, i'm sure we can duplicate the drum shoes thread and get away with it.

I still play in Chucks. But low tops. I played in high tops for quite a while, but now that I've made the switch to the lows, I don't see myself ever playing in a different shoe. For my specific purposes and technique, this is the perfect drumming shoe.

-Kyle

Barefoot for now. When I was younger I used my wrestling shoes but cut them down... I'm looking for some thin soled shoes. Thanks for the Asics info.

New Balance makes wide shoes. Maybe they have a nice light running shoe that will work for you. Just a thought. I use flip flops myself.

What I use for about two years now is somekind of water shoes that I found at walmart for 10$. It's like playing with only socks on but with a rubber grip for a better control of the pedal.

I drum barefoot, in socks, or with a variety of shoes. I find thick socks are probably the best for speed and control, but I prefer using shoes once I am comfortable enough with a technique, it makes you get better at your technique and doesn't require you to walk around gigs taking off your shoes. I find any shoes that aren't too heavy, leave your ankle open, and have a relatively flat sole will do, why waste money on extra shoes spend it on gear that makes noise, then your technique wont require you to have specific shoes with you all the time.

I drum barefoot, in socks, or with a variety of shoes. I find thick socks are probably the best for speed and control, but I prefer using shoes once I am comfortable enough with a technique, it makes you get better at your technique and doesn't require you to walk around gigs taking off your shoes. I find any shoes that aren't too heavy, leave your ankle open, and have a relatively flat sole will do, why waste money on extra shoes spend it on gear that makes noise, then your technique wont require you to have specific shoes with you all the time.
because your everyday shoes get wet or muddy when raining and in winter you have a lot of salt on your shoes. why introduce the extra dirt, salt and moisture to the pedal?

I am using this pair of Nike 6.0's that are bright green on the bottom with matching bright green laces. They are the mavrk low 6.0 definately hard to find. Im thinking about getting Puma speedcats next, because I heard they are supposed to be really good.

If Sheila E can drum in heels, so can you.

Double_Pink_Stiletto.jpg

Or you can just wear what is comfortable for you.

I think that running shoes may be the most general best fit for any drummer.

Back