Bass player looking to expand into drums

Selta

Hey everyone... I hate to inundate with such simple questions... I've done a search, but overall, I'm just not really sure what to do.
A short brief about me... I'm 25, been playing bass (electric mostly, some upright) for about 12 years now. I want to pick up drums for a few reasons... one, it can only help my bass playing (nothing like getting a sense for a groove by being able to make one yourself), and its appealed to me for a few years now.
I live in an apartment, and acoustic drums are simply not an option. At this time, I don't really forsee myself taking drumming to even gigging level, just something for me to practice on at home, maybe beat on here and there with my band at practice and such. If it happens that I end up loving it and change that fact, well, I wouldn't be opposed to that either.
So, what I'm looking to do is just put my foot in the door of drumming. An acquaintance is selling an Alesis DM6 that's only slightly used, so that perked up my interest, and I started looking around at reviews of it and such. A common thread I've found is that a lot of people recommend looking at the DM10 Studio kit instead. It so happens that there's sales on the DM10 at all of the major outlets making it $799. Cool. Then I "stumbled" on the DM8 Pro kit, which is $700. I like the idea that the tom pads are different sizes, just like acoustic drums. Probably a moot point for a newbie on drums, but I think having the visual aid will help me get the muscle memory down. Or not? Either way, I'll need the usual assortment of sticks, kick pedal, throne etc on top.
I'm trying to keep everything under a grand. I'd like to budget in a double-kick, though for no other reason than I see myself eventually using one. Trust me when I'd say that I'd learn solid foot technique and not just make up personal/technique shortcomings by inserting the left foot :).
So, I turn to the likes of you all to give me input and direction. I'd like to keep the kit itself under $800 if possible, and the entire gamut of gear to under $1k. I'd actually rather buy used than new, but outside of eBay I'm not certain where I can go looking for used e-drum kits.
If I missed something in my search, just let me know. I didn't see any stickies or FAQs that help me directly.
Thank you for reading and any input you can give me!

There's also a Roland TD-4KX2 on eBay for under $900, which I know a lot of people will probably say to get :)

There's also a Roland TD-4KX2 on eBay for under $900, which I know a lot of people will probably say to get :)

Given your budget, that is a great way to start.

And you can always upgrade. I started with that same kit and steadily made it into a TD-12 kit. You start upgrading pads, then cymbals (esp HH) then the stand, then the module.

The only problem is that a TD-4 module is tough to sell, but at least this is a great way to start, and you start with mesh pads.

So if I wanted to, I'd be able to add on toms/cymbals to that module? This is showing how much I don't know and I can't seem to find an answer on google easily :-/

Roland and Yamaha are generally considered the better e-drums but there are several other suppliers now. One thing for sure you get what you pay for. Cheap e-drums are a bit soul-destroying and the whole enjoyment feedback loop may not happen with cheap e-kits. I'm playing a TD12 at the moment. The TD4 suggestion is a good one.

Davo

Back