Neil Peart

the skin man said:
I'm not saying he doesn't do stuff that other rock drummers don't do, because obviously he does far more than the average rock drummer and obviously he is creative in a way that makes a lot of musical sense. But I think Dave Weckl is a far better rock drummer than Neil Peart from what I've seen. If we could go back in time and stick Dave Weckl in Rush would the drumming have been as good? Who knows? But that's a very hypothetical question.

I didn't know that Dave Weckl was a rock drummer.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw

WHY PAY 30,000!! Man if I had that money, I'd buy 3 kits (Yamaha Maple Custom, Yamaha Birch Custom, Yamaha Beech Custom :D) and buy a shite load of cymbals. WOAH WAIT A MINUTE! I just saw that he's throwin in a free pair of sticks....that's a damn good deal...gimme a break!

Its a collectors edition....these things sell for that much. Its all about status, people will want to be part of it

As mentioned only 30 will be made and I guess not many of them will actually be played. That is a travesty in my eyes. If you pay that amount for a kit then you should at least get some pleasure out of it. Its not as if its going to seriously de-value the kit if you play it.

rendezvous_drummer said:
WHY PAY 30,000!! Man if I had that money, I'd buy 3 kits (Yamaha Maple Custom, Yamaha Birch Custom, Yamaha Beech Custom :D) and buy a shite load of cymbals. WOAH WAIT A MINUTE! I just saw that he's throwin in a free pair of sticks....that's a damn good deal...gimme a break!

Yea, but there's only gonna be 30 of these kits in the world. Anybody can buy those Yamahas! Not so with these comemmorative DW's! Oh, I take it that you are a Yamaha
fan, huh? I personally prefer drums that are manufactured by the companies who "exclusively" make drums and drum accessories. DW, Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, to name a few. Yamaha makes ALL kinds of equipment. ie...stereos, speakers, keyboards, and other "non" percussive stuff. Not saying that Yamahas' line of percussion is "bad", I just
prefer the companies that concentrate "just" on drums, drum accessories and percussion equipment. Peace!

well, dib da, after you buy that 30g set,come back with a product review for us,will ya?all i can tell you is DW makes great drums, i've played a gretsch set i really liked at a drum store, but ended up buying a brand new 1993 yamaha maple custom,6 piece set, (which i still have after unloading my pearl set) and all i can say after playing many different venues with different musicians is, they've commented numerous times how good those drums sound. i love em'! and i got em' on sale for $2800 (minus cymbals.)

and with that let us remember -

• that many posts were deleted from this thread because guys were bashing neil.
  • that neil is a great guy
  • that he may read this thread
  • that he is an incredible drummer and is quite capable of pulling some surprises out of his hat if he ever felt the need to prove himself - which he does not.
let's then celebrate him rather than compare him to other drummers in an unflattering or unfavourable way.

NO MORE BASHING NEIL PLEASE.

J

mikeybbdrummin said:
Does anyone want to guess what the Rush/DW 30th anniversary commerative drum kit is going to be priced at? There is going to be only 30. Full acoustic kit and cymbals. I will guess first at $25,000.00. Next guess?[/QUO
neils drum tech told me$ 80,000 for the hole kit

Ah you went to the Neil Peart kit tour. That includes things like the cymbals and the electronics set up, adding a significant amount to the value. The actual shells and hardware are worth the $30,000.

I just want to add that "Test For Echo" is my favorite Rush song, because of Neil's playing in it. Lot's of great stuff in that song.

If I had a couple of hundred G's lyin' around, i'd definately drop 30k on a NP 1 of 30 commerative kit!! that would be like , let say, in the sixty's you had bought a Buddy Rich - 1 of 30 duplicate kit. and still had it today, I'm sure it would be worth twice what you pay'd for it then.thats like the kit Tama made for MikePortnoy, for The cygnus & the seamonster show. I'm sure some one, somewhere would pay twice what thats worth. I know I would.And further more, who's to say that NP kit, with that custom finish, & brass hardware is'nt worth 30G's.DW thinks it is!

I think that kit actually has gold plated hardware. He used to do brass, but for the 30th anniversary kit they plated the hardware in gold. I'm assuming the 30 commemorative kits will also be gold plated. If so, I wonder just how much gold plated hardware contributes to the $30k price tag.

I found a site www.kirschdrums.com that says he has had a lot of requests for that red tama artstar kit that Neil played. They say they have pretty much duplicated the color. So, getting a clone of the TAMA would likely cost around $3500. (minus gong drum)

I have a feeling many non-drummers (collectors) bought the anniversary kit as an investment.

Only 2 reasons to purchase this kit:

1) Investment
2) Rush cover band (with A TON of money floating around!)

Synthetik said:
I found a site www.kirschdrums.com that says he has had a lot of requests for that red tama artstar kit that Neil played. They say they have pretty much duplicated the color. So, getting a clone of the TAMA would likely cost around $3500. (minus gong drum)

I have a feeling many non-drummers (collectors) bought the anniversary kit as an investment.

Not to nitpick, but Neil played a Tama Superstar during the early 80's, before he switched to Ludwig... then DW. In 1980, the Superstar was the top-end kit and there was no Artstar yet.

Yah Of course! A drummer of that age and experiance is sure to have played every drum kit available. Being sponsered must be nice though. I have the yamaha maple custom, and thats an amazing kit in my standards. Plus its only 2-5 grand. With the money you save, you can buy tickets to see Rush in their next tour!

Ian Ballard said:
Not to nitpick, but Neil played a Tama Superstar during the early 80's, before he switched to Ludwig... then DW. In 1980, the Superstar was the top-end kit and there was no Artstar yet.

He did briefly played (or at least advertised playing) an Artstar, at the end of his relationship with Tama.

shuffle said:
He did briefly played (or at least advertised playing) an Artstar, at the end of his relationship with Tama.

Hmmm, I never saw nor heard of such an add. I'd like to see it.

Back