Trick Dominator VS. Axis Longboards

Dr. Oshawott

I've done some research over both of these pedals, but I can't decide which pedal I should get. Both seem like the best pedals for what I play (which is metal). The amount of configurations on Trick Dominators are overwhelming.

Here's a hint, find what you're interested in and personally play them, it's the only way to really know when your decision is correct.

Welcome to the forum.

Dennis

I owned a Trick Pro1V and an Axis X Longboard, I no longer own the Trick Pro 1V. I could never get to like the feel of the Pro1V the beater feels heavier as you get closer to impact on the batter head. It always felt heavy to me. It is an extremely well manufactured pedal just not for me.

The Axis X longboard was purchased new and the. Oly thing I have changed since I took it out of the ox is the beater. I swapped the stock beater for a Danmar Zoro signature square felt beater. This is a really smooth pedal with a light feel, which I prefer ( some people don't).
This pedal is used for my rehearsals and Rock gigs. i use a Sonor Perfect Balance Pedal for my jazz and Blues gigs.

I owned a Trick Pro1V and an Axis X Longboard, I no longer own the Trick Pro 1V. I could never get to like the feel of the Pro1V the beater feels heavier as you get closer to impact on the batter head. It always felt heavy to me. It is an extremely well manufactured pedal just not for me.

The Axis X longboard was purchased new and the. Oly thing I have changed since I took it out of the ox is the beater. I swapped the stock beater for a Danmar Zoro signature square felt beater. This is a really smooth pedal with a light feel, which I prefer ( some people don't).
This pedal is used for my rehearsals and Rock gigs. i use a Sonor Perfect Balance Pedal for my jazz and Blues gigs.

Funny thing about feel...Im just the opposite. Sold my Axis after about 2 weeks of fiddling with it, getting hit with the hammer on top of my feet and just thought it felt too light. The Trick is for me.

F

My money is on the Dominators (surely by definition, they'll "dominate??"), but I'd be really surprised if it went the distance. Everyone knows the Axis has a glass jaw. The "Thrilla in Manila" or "Rumble in the Jungle" this ain't. I think inside three rounds is a safer bet. But I'll be unable to watch it live so can someone please let me know who wins?

Here's a hint, find what you're interested in and personally play them, it's the only way to really know when your decision is correct.

Welcome to the forum.

Dennis

Both are incredible pedals. And you really gotta play 'em both to get your feel.
Now unfortunately I never saw either pedal on display at GC or local drum shop. Not even one, so you'd be lucky to find both. Maybe GC special order, and exchange if not happy?

So all i could base my decision on were reviews. 2 years ago, there weren't very many reviews on the Dominator. On the Axis, your typical component breakdowns, but nothing too major. I know their U joint shaft is well made, as they also make replacements that fit other double pedals. I heard there wasn't enough "punch" or it was too light. (????) I never was able to get my feet on a pair.

I eventually went with the Dominator doubles, (even over the DW9000's - I have their single). Didn't know much about the AL13 Aerospace alloy stuff, but it's engineered nicely. Internal spring adjusts with a quick turn, adjustments galore. The sweetest component is the U joint axle. Super strong, reliable - no play. I ended up swapping the beaters with my heavier DW beaters. Stock ones are too light.

i am a big fan of the Axis pedal since they went with key bolts and A21 degree, the VDL(Variable Drive Level) I have the Vector pedal. I also used to have the Trick big foot double pedal. I just could not get the feel i wanted with the compression spring system. Seemed no matter what setting i used for spring tension it just did not feel right.

9guv.jpg

Four months in and I feel like I've finally worn in my Trick Dominators and I can definitely recommend them if you're interested in a high quality longboard. My latest craze is playing Hot for Teacher with my off (left) foot. They're very convincing, I learnt heel-toe on these things.

But then again, maybe the Axis is what you need! :p

Difficult to try these pedals, unfortunately.

I think I'll be going with the Trick Dominators. From what has been posted, more people seem to prefer the Trick Dominators. But before I come to a final conclusion, I'll try my best to try out both pedals.

A wise decision! Today, I leaned into my pedal instead of being so casual and high and mighty and "oh, they must play themselves for me not to get rid of them."

Oh, verily, they are mighty and I am pleased.

Back