Todd Sucherman here!

Hi Todd!
It's been a while since I wrote somethins to you so why not now.
I hope everythings ok with you!
Just saw that you guys are comming to sweden rock festival next year, and I'm so excited to see styx again!
If you're not only hanging backstage I'm sure I'll run in to you.

Guess you're right in the middle of filming your new dvd! I wish you the best of luck and I can't wait too see the new dvd when it's finished!
Will it be called Method and Mechanics 2?
Btw, Todd, what is your favourite ride to play in different styles?

Cheers from a cold sweden!

// Larta

Supermac--

Cool.

LukeSnyder--

It's really just whatever I'm feeling. Nothing more, really. It's not the answer you're looking for but it's all I've got. I suppose I have to be more attentive with the DDs. I can go on auto pilot easier with the Elims.

Larta--

Great, looking forward to that gig indeed. And yes, the new DVD will be called M&M ll, but with a bit more to the title. As far as rides, I change out all the time. With the band on the road, the Vault Precision is fantastic but I often like something a bit lighter when I'm at home.

Happy holidays to you all!
TS

Ah shoot I was on vacation and missed the clinic. :/
I guess you won't be coming back to St. Louis anytime soon... I think my drum teacher was there though. Just out of curiosity, where was the clinic?

Hi Todd!

As far as rides, I change out all the time. With the band on the road, the Vault Precision is fantastic but I often like something a bit lighter when I'm at home.
TS

So what lighter rides do you use?
I myself use a Zildjian K Constantinople 20" ride, a 21" Sabian Signature Hot Ride or my favourite ride, the 22" Sabian HHX Legacy Heavy Ride.

Could you tell me something about the dvd? some of the songs you'll play?

Larta,

I have the 20" prototype I used in the "Methods and Mechanics" dvd and I had Sabian make me a 22" of the same cymbal. I have a 22" Legacy on the small jazz kit. As far as songs from the new dvd goes, I don't want to give anything away now many months before the release! Hope you understand! But there will be a lot of songs, live clips, solos, stories, and lots of information on touring and travel.

Cheers from Tampa,
Todd

Todd,
I really enjoyed the Clinic at Mozingo... I really appreciate how "down to earth" and accessible you are. I didn't want to take up too much of your time even though I would have jumped at the opportunity to sit and ask questions for hours. (I was the guy who asked about your involvement in the songwriting)
Anyway, I just found this forum on DW and since you actually take time to read and respond, I thought I would take a moment to let you know how much I enjoyed the clinic. I bought your sticks and your DVD and I've gone to town with them.

Thanks for what you do,

Joshua Taylor

btw..what's up with no St. Louis date on the upcoming tour?? lol

cherylfoster--

Pedals are pedals when it comes down to it. It's a means to an end. Does it feel good for you? You know, are your clothes comfortable? It's all perception that's personal. I could answer you questions about weakness---but that weakness would in fact be mine and not the pedals. I hope I'm making sense and not wishing to sound elusive. Certain things work for certain people for certain musical settings. I go back and forth but for old school rock playing I prefer the Elims because they feel like what I've always used. But pedals can swap out along with snare drums and ride cymbals. It comes down to what I feel on any given day.

Hey Joshua---

Thanks for the kind words and for making it out to the clinic. I appreciate your note and hope you are digging the sticks and dvd. As for St. Louis, I'm certain we'll hit there. I don't even know what my schedule is for the summer yet (I rarely do until March/April) and that's when dates will be released. We always go through St. Louis so don't worry!

Cheers,

Todd

cherylfoster--

Pedals are pedals when it comes down to it. It's a means to an end. Does it feel good for you? You know, are your clothes comfortable? It's all perception that's personal. I could answer you questions about weakness---but that weakness would in fact be mine and not the pedals.

This such a great statement coming from a player of your level.

We ALL are guilty of blaming bad/wanting top $$$ gear - when really maybe a little more practise will make things sound betta!

hello todd, greetings from croatia!

last month i got your dvd methods & mechanics.. and modern drummer fest '08 where you had your performance. i poped out here just to say- thank you. a big, huge thank you. as i am amazed by your technique and out-of-mind musicality, i am more amazed with your words and thoughts said on that dvd. i'm only sorry that my english is not so good so i can describe you what i felt after hearing those words about music, art and musicianship.

hope to see styx (or any other band in which you are involved in) in croatia

cheers, take care :)

Linear--

<I could answer you questions about weakness--->

Of course I meant "your," but what can I say. I'm one for grammar and it makes me nuts when I see those types of mistakes coming from me. Nonetheless, thanks for your sentiments!

Marin--

Thanks for your kind words. I'm happy to hear of your enjoyment of the dvd and I appreciate you sharing your feedback with me! I hope you continue to enjoy it. "Methods and Mechanics II" will be out later this year. Thanks again for your message.

For any Texas folks---I'll be doing a clinic next month in San Antonio. Details here:
Drum Clinic at Sam Ash Music in San Antonio
Thursday, February 24th
7PM
Free admission*
Sam Ash
25 NE Loop 410 #110
San Antonio, TX.
(210) 530-9777

For any Canadian guys, I'll be playing 5 shows with Lawrence Gowan in March. Details here:
Niagara Falls, ON (March 11&12); Montreal, QC (March 16); Sherbrooke, QC (March 17); Quebec (City), QC (March 18)

Cheers!
Todd

Hi Todd!
I hope everything is great with you!
I just had some more questions.

Where do you place the sticks in your hands exactly?
Did you film the new M&M at the same place as the last one?
What kit are you using in the new M&M?

Cheers

// Larta

Larta--

<Where do you place the sticks in your hands exactly?>

Hard to answer without showing you. If you have my dvd, you can see that I normally hold them pretty far back. You might want to check out the hands/pad section on disc 1.

<Did you film the new M&M at the same place as the last one?>

I filmed a majority in my roomy soundproof studio in my backyard. We've just begun the editing process and I'm thrilled with the results visually and sonically.

<What kit are you using in the new M&M?>

My new Pearl Masterworks. 8 and 10 ply shells, bubinga inside and out, all gold hardware. They sound amazing. Hopefully this pic will post......

Thanks!
Todd

Attachments

• IMG_6800.jpg
    IMG_6800.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8,830
hmm... Well I'm not seeing the pictures. I guess you'll have to post more. ;)

-Jonathan

Hey Todd, will you be coming to Singapore for a clinic? It'd be great if that was to happen!

Hi Todd!
The kit looks amazing!
Bet they sound as good as they look!
What is the little tom you have next to the Rocket Toms? is it a 4" tom?

Cheers from Sweden!

// Larta

hello todd, i have a question which bothers me for awhile.

it's about my double stroke roll & paradiddles. problem is that they all sound the same as my single stroke roll.
i must point out that i'm not very proficient with them as i'm with singles (of course); my top metronome marking right now is about 70-75 bpm (both doubles and paradiddles).
i've thought about putting more accenting in both (especially paradiddles) but i'm confused..

thanks for your answer in advance

cheers, take care :)

Pass.of.E.R.a--

You're not seeing those pictures?

Volentry--

Well, I'd love to come there. I have to be invited though, and they'd have to fund the trip! Hopefully it'll happen one day. Thanks.

Larta--

Yeah, they sound amazing. Very inspiring drums to play and the combo of those toms, Audix mics going through a Focusrite 828 pre really gave me what I was looking for sonically. The tom in question is a 6" as are the Rocket Toms.

Marin--

Most guys (when brought up to high speed) desire little difference between doubles, singles and paradidles---but they will always sound a little different because the different sticking changes the articulation. Different articulations will always have a slightly different sound. Just keep at it, check out your hands in a mirror, and record/film yourself. Be patient. It'll kick in.

Cheers from Corpus Christi, TX

Todd

No I can see them, I was trying to make a poor attempt at humor to try to get you to post a few more.

Your kit looks phenomenal!

-Jonathan

Back