Starting Young

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Here is a photo of my Grandson, Nicholas, and his first lesson during my family visit to Charlotte NC.

Attachments

• 47b9d822b3127cce98548e461a0400000055108AcN2jVw2YtF.jpg
    47b9d822b3127cce98548e461a0400000055108AcN2jVw2YtF.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 295
Yeah, his grip is pretty good! Keep up the good work!

Cute kid! See that face, nothing makes a kid smile more than drumming!!

Hey, GD you need to change your moniker to Dummersgrandad or something..

Enjoy your visit and my best to Dean Smith & Chapel Hill.

Wy Yung sent me a pic via his mobile phone of his star student playing his very impressive kit. I think he started at around 7 or 8. He asked me to post the pic since he doesn't have the net at home at the moment.

This is what he said in the message:
[Student's name] performed in a talent contest at his school today. Flawless professional level performances with chops and feel. And poise beyond his years. He blew the roof off and the teaches and judges insisted on an encore closing performance.
Wy's like a proud parent lol

Attachments

• wy's student on kit.jpg
    wy's student on kit.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 208
That's great! The downside is that the parents will have to go through a Wii/Xbox/Playstation phase, then wait 'til he discovers girls! ;)

Hopefully he'll latch on to drumming and go through all the hard work. There's so many things out there now for kids that don't require learning hard-earned skills, sometimes I'm amazed when I meet ex-students who've turned out all right!

I wish I could have started earlier. I'm 21 and I started when I was 19.

I'm kind of a natural at it, or it could be the fact that I'm constantly pursuing new techniques and ideas, and it's something I genuinely care about progressing in.

That's great! The downside is that the parents will have to go through a Wii/Xbox/Playstation phase, then wait 'til he discovers girls! ;)

Hopefully he'll latch on to drumming and go through all the hard work. There's so many things out there now for kids that don't require learning hard-earned skills, sometimes I'm amazed when I meet ex-students who've turned out all right!

His Dad is already getting grumpy about the kid's getting on the Playstation too much :)

Update: Wy asked me to add that the boy is 10 now and started lessons with him at 5 years old. Apparently he is still in that stage where he's disdainful of girls. The hormones obviously haven't kicked in yet ...

I started at 11, and I think that at that time it was great that I started, I think I needed something to focus on and keep me from being bored.

Wii/Xbox/Playstation phase
Before I starting taking lessons for drumkit I lived a kind of narrow-minded and bored life, an X-Box game-playing life.

I wish I would have started that young. I started at 14 and am now 18.

I think Frank Zappa started guitar when he was 17 and became one of the most amazing guitar players ever, he was self-taught. So there is still hope for musos that start in their teens.

Isn't that supposed to be testosterone?

I met the kid one time and, yeah, I think he'll have a ton of the stuff flooding his system in the next few years...

BD, eleven's an interesting age to start. A major change happens to people at that age - one minute they're just a kid and suddenly they're a force to contend with. I don't think it's an accident that tribal people used to initiate their young to adulthood at that age. It's like an awakening.

And you woke to drums :)

Wish I'd started younger and had lessons (I started at 15/16) but it's water under the bridge now. All I want to do is improve my groove and dynamics with the limited stuff I can do - to fully digest some of the things I half learned in the past. The ultimate aim I'll never achieve is a Steve Gadd feel.

hey Gruntersdad- I know you posted this a long time ago but I just noticed it- Sweet looking kid though you better sort out his posture!!!! He'll end up like Phil Collins!!! ;)

I will start with correct posture as soon as he is out of diapers. Soon I hope..

Back