My Yamaha Recording Custom, Tobacco Sunburst

groovy

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I would start off by saying hi and posting a few pics of my pride and joy.

This is my 1996 Yamaha Recording Custom, finished in (from what I can tell) very rare Tobacco Sunburst. It is a 4 piece kit, with sizes as follows:

22" x 16" Bass
12" x 8" Ride Tom
13" x 9" Ride Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom

14" x 7" Yamaha Birch Absolute Custom snare, ebony finish

6" 8" 10" Remo Roto Toms

Cymbals:

13" Zildjian K Custom Dark Hats
20" Zildjian K Ride
20" Sabian HH Hand Hammered Jazz Ride
19" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Crash
18" Sabian AAX Dark Crash
10" Zildjian A Custom Splash
8" Zildjian A Avedis Extra Thin Splash

rc1.jpg

rc2.jpg

rc3.jpg

rc4.jpg

rc5.jpg

rc6.jpg

rc7.jpg

Hope you like it!

Tim

That is kickass Tim !! I think your kick might be 14x22. (which is a good thing, IMO) I might be wrong, but if you measure, remember it is only bearing edge to edge, not counting hoops.

I could be wrong, of course.

Thanks Artstar! You're correct it is a 14". My Birch Absolute Custom that I sold awhile ago was 16" (it was a monster at 24" x 16!) but I think I like the sound of this bass better.

Beautiful kit. I had RC's in that finish, 22x16, 13x9, 16x16. For two years, I hunted for a matching (anything), to make it a 4 piece. Finally sold it on eBay, to a cat who had a matching snare (so he wound up with a 4 piece).​
Why that finish never became more popular, is beyond me. It looks especially great, on stage, with matching guitar and bass.​

Last edited:
Well, that burst surely beats the hell out of Cherry Red. Kit looks fantastic!

Apparently there was some sort of blue finish for the RCs as well...

Now those are SWEET!. I wish Yamaha offered more finishes with the RC's. I have seen a few RC kits in natural but never a tobacco burst. Very nice.

You're the only other person I've seen with that kit. I got mine in 95' and they stopped making the color so I could never get an 18" floor that matched. Little bummed. I love the kit - Bass drum is my favorites - fat and low sounds great live or studio. And the kit is loud with tons of attack. My floor is a little rubbery, a problem I've minimized with a single ply Evans but never fully got rid of. I have used ever head known to man. Like you the Evans on brass snare and then the thin 2 ply Evans on 12/13/16. I do love it though - so easy to travel with after using a maple Ludwig that weighed 3 times as much.

So anyway - sweet. using mine in 00 w/ original snare (set up as 4 pce w/ out the 12). Also great because depending on the light it changes color, I have other shots where it lookls as bright as yours.

Attachments

• Nov 22 2000 Tony.jpg
    Nov 22 2000 Tony.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 2,058
I owned a rare finish Recording Custom kit as well. Mine was an Apple Sparkle fade lacquer kit that I purchased from a Yamaha Endorser in Toronto.

Attachments

• IMG_1246_01%5B1%5D.jpg
    IMG_1246_01%5B1%5D.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,669
  • IMG_1247_01.jpg
    IMG_1247_01.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,703
Oh Man..

I love Recording Customs..

So much.

I just totally love them.

*envy taking over me*

Haha, now really, congrats. Great kit you've got there. :) Cheers.

Back