Best drumming album of all time?

i have five albums:

* The birthday concert Jaco Pastorius -Peter Erskine on drums
* Regatta de Blanc The Police-Stewart Copeland on drums
* Karizma Document-Vinnie Colaiuta on drums
* Gateway: Homecoming John Abercrombie- Jack de Johnette on drums
* Screaming Headless Torsos - Jojo Mayer

(i would have to add Jamiroquai´s "The return of the space cowboy", Steely Dan´s "Aja" Rush "moving pictures" and Miles Davis "Four and more, the complete concert)

Grace by Jeff Buckley. Nothing fast or technical, just a classic example of laying down cool grooves that complement and enhance the song.

Matt Johnson is a beast. The guy has excellent independence. Grace is definitely one of the best albums to come out of the 1990's

Well for me these are IT:

1) Trio Music / Chick Corea (Roy Haynes...)

2) Emergency / The Tony Williams Lifetime (Tony...the sound's not that good, but the drumming with the music is just mounstruos)

3) The Leprechaun by Chic Corea (Gadd...)

4) Looka-Py-Py by The Meters (Zigaboo...)

5) Ry Cooder by Ry Cooder (Richie Hayward)

6)...And Justice For All (can't deny my roots...)

Superlow said:
Matt Johnson is a beast. The guy has excellent independence. Grace is definitely one of the best albums to come out of the 1990's
What a coincidence. I have the same pic of Elvin Jones as my background desktop pic.

This has always cracked me up......people who think Neil Peart is the greatest!!

Come on people.........he's a great drummer and was probably THE biggest key to Rush and their sound (aside from Geddy's voice) ....but one of the best drummers? I've always been a big fan.....but he's never on my 'greatest list'.......

as for album/s ...........way toooooo many to mention....too many categories, etc,etc.....

but.......I can't believe that Jeff Hamilton has not been mentioned!! Any jazzers out there ?!

Pick up "The Best Things Happen" by the Jeff Hamilton Trio .........azica records....you can find it in most record stores or on amazon..........I've seen him 2x and will see him a 3rd time in September.................absolutely A_M_A_Z_I_N_G !!!!!

Little Wing said:
Grace by Jeff Buckley. Nothing fast or technical, just a classic example of laying down cool grooves that complement and enhance the song.

good god yeah! i don't think it's the greatest drumming album, but it's definately one of the greatest ever albums. the drumming on Dream Brother is phenomenal!!!

I would have to agree with "Exit Stage Left" as being a top drumming album - awesome drumming and the sound is great.

Jeff Indyke who is one of the most prolific producers of drum materials is putting together instructional stuff for the "Best drumming albums" of all time. I know Cobham will be on there and also Miles Davis, Coltrane and Gabriel's albums.

Coolio, cool..........

Now I know alot of people already said this one already I think cuz I've read through this thread before ... but I'm listening to it right now so i gotta mention it again

Steely Dan's Aja

and then I love albums like

Yes ... Roundabout, Close to the Edge, Talk

Poe ... Haunted

Any Peter Gabriel album

Any Omar Faruk Tekbilek album (Turkish music, this guys a virtuoso on like 5 instruments)

can't remember all the rest right now...

For me, 'Hold Your Horse Is' by Hella. Maybe not the most accessible sound, but Zach Hill's drum performance has such unique talent it's staggering. His style and technique in complimenting the guitar part is almost supernatural. Untouchable stuff

Mile Davis: kind of blue - the drumming fits in perfectly, the whole album is perfection
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are you experiened? Axis: Bold as Love and Electric Ladyland - Mitch's finest work on all those albums
Led Zeppelin: led zeppelin II-purely because moby dick is on that album
Dave Brubeck: Time Out - take five.....need i say more?

I dunno, for me its gotta be Zeppelin, anything up to Physical Graffiti. Bonham totally introduced a whole new dynamic to rock drumming, and is one of my biggest influences to date.

And of course, YYZ is unparalleled.

Rush went to my school, by the way (junior high & highschool) I have a copy of Alex Lifeson's shop report card. He didnt do that well. Also, one of my good friends resides 3 houses down from Geddy Lee's old house. Sorry just felt the need to brag concidering this thread had so many rush references.

Re: Top Drumming Album of "All Time"

HENRYII -"Blood, Sweat & Tears with the great Bobby Columby on drums. An entire album of some of best chops, creativity and taste on drum kit ever recorded. "

That's one of my favorite albums of all time, and it seems there are few people how know about it. Great stuff by the whole band.

Back