Mid- life career change

With the economy and every changing market places, I think career changes are to be expected more often these days than in generations past.

The internet and technology have made numerous jobs obsolete. The economy has forced many to change directions like it or not.

I realize that really isn't advice, other than I say if it's what you want to do, and it is possible to do, don't fret about doing it because you think someone else might label you a career changer.

I've been seeing stories here and there about corporate types and their families saying it just isn't worth it. So they are moving to rural areas, buying small farms and getting busy. Farming is no cakewalk either but it beats the dog eat dog corporate climate in my humble opinion.

Offshoring. Outsourcing. Downsizing. Everyone's doing it. My work's obsessed with it. I've been hoping for a redundancy but I pass on the numbers and they love numbers. I refuse to spin the figures in the negative way the top brass want - if there's mitigating circumstances they're going to see it.

It's dumb ... they almost always overdo it and end up with corporate anorexia and loss of corporate knowledge.

Man, can I ever relate. My company has gone completely apeshit with the staff reduction over the past 6 or 7 years. They don't want to hear a voice of reason, they want everyone to jump on board and speak the corporate line. It's f****** nauseating and I refuse to do it.

What a dismal trend.

I've been seeing stories here and there about corporate types and their families saying it just isn't worth it. So they are moving to rural areas, buying small farms and getting busy. Farming is no cakewalk either but it beats the dog eat dog corporate climate in my humble opinion.

In my case it's not corporate but different public settings with different lines of work. Leveraging transferable skills.

Man, can I ever relate. My company has gone completely apeshit with the staff reduction over the past 6 or 7 years. They don't want to hear a voice of reason, they want everyone to jump on board and speak the corporate line. It's f****** nauseating and I refuse to do it.

What a dismal trend.

For sure man. It was fed to us for years before it finally happened to us/me.

It's nauseating for sure. No they don't want reason, they want money.

Right on, guys. That corporate line is soulless and inevitably misleading. They always underplay their surge towards attrition and sometimes outright deny it.

Often this corporate vandalism is aimed at boosting quarterly figures, even though it's damaging to the organisation in the long term.

Then the executives use the quarterly figures as an "achievement" on their resumes (eg. boosted profits by x%) to gain an even better paying job so they can slash and burn again.

Meanwhile the people left behind start to pick up the pieces ... until the next shyster turns up to "restructure" their own little crumbling empire held together with gaffa tape and super glue.

Not a thing anyone can do about it either - might as well hope for world peace as make an impact ...

Reso, that move away from corporate life to rural areas is known as a "tree change" in Oz. Most of the sea changes have already been done with coastal properties bought out at premium prices.

.... full fledged careers but still manage to work in some professional gigs on the ocassional weekend.
11 years working for the Postal Service, and in 1990, I let that all go. The next 15 years, I worked music retail. Way less money, but way more fun. Every job, from 1973 up ... always placed me in a position that drums/band would always be #1, as far as schedule.​
My question though is about none of the above. I was wondering how many of you have made a career change late in life. Spent most of your working life in one career and made a big change thereafter.... by choice or by neccesity.
2 hip replacements in 4 months .... and I have basically a blank page to write out my new "career" path. And whatever that entails, I'm gonna have fun. My goal is to make enough to keep a roof over my head, food on the table, gas in my rides, and new heads on my drums. I've already got a drum gig lined up for June/July.​

Old dog new tricks, anyone?
Certainly. I get a band (or aggregation of musicians) together, I have 4 primary venues to pursue. My Kat opens the doors to the "biker" scene. Bikers love beer and music. My Iltis is two fold, it gets me into the "military vehicle collectors" circle, and I gets me into the VW circle (it has a 1.7 liter VW engine. And then, the "art" circle, providing "avant garde" soundscapes to art shows, gallery openings, etc. As of right now, I have absolutely no recording gear. This will change, very soon.​

I'm on the verge of taking a big plunge.
I'm sure it's well thought out, and I'm sure you'll have a "damn the torpedoes" attitude. For me, failure is not an option.​

Right on, guys. That corporate line is soulless and inevitably misleading. They always underplay their surge towards attrition and sometimes outright deny it.

Often this corporate vandalism is aimed at boosting quarterly figures, even though it's damaging to the organisation in the long term.

Then the executives use the quarterly figures as an "achievement" on their resumes (eg. boosted profits by x%) to gain an even better paying job so they can slash and burn again.

Meanwhile the people left behind start to pick up the pieces ... until the next shyster turns up to "restructure" their own little crumbling empire held together with gaffa tape and super glue.

Not a thing anyone can do about it either - might as well hope for world peace as make an impact ...

Reso, that move away from corporate life to rural areas is known as a "tree change" in Oz. Most of the sea changes have already been done with coastal properties bought out at premium prices.

It's all about keeping the shareholders happy and that means more money, more money, more money.

@Resohead- In our need to get ahead the one thing we arent conditioned to do it to count our blessings, and despite all my frustrations, angst and the midlife thing, I've got to say I have been very lucky with my career. Here's wishing you well in your transitions.

@Polly- If I could write a book called 'I knew then what I know now' it would emprically prove that no corporation really cares about its people and you are always just a number, and easily replaced or duplicated, in the end.. and the realization always comes as a surpise!

@ Harry- when I grow up I want to be like you, man... : ) I want to live with your attitude.

@ dmacc- right on! You could commit murder and justify it in the name of shareholders. History is littered with stories..

The only thing you have to fear......is fear itself! Which would be enough for me, because I fear change. They'll have to drag me out of my cubicle.

@Resohead- In our need to get ahead the one thing we arent conditioned to do it to count our blessings, and despite all my frustrations, angst and the midlife thing, I've got to say I have been very lucky with my career. Here's wishing you well in your transitions.

Thanks, aydee. I do work on being grateful but I also forget to from time to time. My issue is about making peace with life but also, and I hope I'm right, giving myself permission to take time for myself when that voice inside me says to. I told someone that sitting on my butt probably isn't productive but I really think that this time is allowing me a much needed break and I may not know why for years that it was exactly the right thing for me.

The happiest I've every been at a job was driving tractors and combines on a farm. Ridiculously tough work but I loved it. Too old to even think about doing that again.

WOW this post couldnt have come at a better time for me. I've been in the Army for 20 years. My retirement paperwork was just approved for this fall. So i have had a lot of thoughts on what to do next. I'm working on a degree, just to have something to help furture plans what ever those plans should end up. In high school I was dead set on being a rock star, do ya think I should relook that one?

The only thing you have to fear......is fear itself! Which would be enough for me, because I fear change. They'll have to drag me out of my cubicle.

Yes! If I let myself stay cooped up inside, the world can become too big and too frightening. And change is a tough one for me but I've always done what I had to do and I reckon I'll do it again. :)

WOW this post couldnt have come at a better time for me. I've been in the Army for 20 years. My retirement paperwork was just approved for this fall. So i have had a lot of thoughts on what to do next. I'm working on a degree, just to have something to help furture plans what ever those plans should end up. In high school I was dead set on being a rock star, do ya think I should relook that one?

Yes!! Rock star. Longevity (Stones, etc)

When I worked in state government, I started to realize just how many there were ex-military. Makes sense, work 10 years to be vested, in Texas, have free insurance for life and another pension to be tacked onto your military one. Plus, we had more holidays, comp time and sick time that it was a good setup for musicians or anyone. Good luck!

Child Protective Services was a state job I was considering even though their website here says don't even consider this job if you aren't a 1000% because it's tough. I think it's far beyond tough.

They asked for a 4 year degree so that shot me out of the water. I talked to a trusted mentor and she said, you grew up in that environment and it's going to trigger you and drive you nuts.

She was right but I would like to work with kids at some level that have been abused or just never got a fair shake from life. It would either heal me or kill me I'm afraid.

@Polly- If I could write a book called 'I knew then what I know now' it would empirically prove that no corporation really cares about its people and you are always just a number, and easily replaced or duplicated, in the end.. and the realization always comes as a surprise!

We're not always easily replaced or duplicated. Since I started caring for dad, my work has tried to find interim replacements - they've hired and sacked two so far. They are working feverishly to develop a system to render what I'm doing at the moment redundant but that's maybe a couple of years away from realisation.

Ironic, here I am hanging out for a redundancy and they're clinging to me like a tick while so many people are desperate to hold their jobs and being booted.

Agree about corporations. Another irony, people are so often nice as individuals but put them into large groups and they become a heartless machine. Put them in small groups (like a band) and they just go mad :)

I've wrestled bipolar disorder for 30 years and after that one-two punch, I said, f*** it. I had some money and my brother left me some money but it won't go much further.
Indeed, I know that deal. My "disorder" was, even though I wasn't a rock star, I knew how to party like one. Burned up about $150K, doing that. In hindsight, not a good investment.​
And I too, when I left the Post Office, got a lump sum. My retirement. Enough cash to keep me alive, and afloat for a year-and-a-half, while I tried to get my "stuff" together. And when I figured the "smoke had cleared, and the dust had settled", I found me a job.​

I haven't even done a resume or looked for a job and I won't for a few more months. I think that I've needed this time and my doctors haven't pushed me. Sometimes you don't want to push people like me.
Amen. In the Postal Service, so many of the "management" types loved to "push", and as it turns out, these mini-dictator types can set into motion "disasters".​

So, maybe I'll find something bearable but all I really need is a paycheck and very good insurance.
And those jobs are out there. Keep your needs/wants simple. A roof over your head. Food in your belly. A positive attitude. As they say, "Keep It Simple". (he's also a very cool guy)​
One of my main joys ... is watching a good sunset. It's a free show, and it happens every day. Another is watching the hawks soar above my house/neighborhood. There are beautiful things out there ... they go on every day. Cost nothing, and take me to a wonderful mindset. Just find the "channel" you wanna watch ... and plug in. It's "worked" for me.​
The only thing you have to fear......is fear itself!
A lot of fear is bad, but a little (just a touch) is necessary. It's what's known as our survival mechanism. Keeps us on our toes. Keeps us out of harms way, and alive. For me, fear is sometimes the voice of common sense telling me to "leave, now!"​
She was right but I would like to work with kids at some level that have been abused or just never got a fair shake from life. It would either heal me or kill me I'm afraid.
Healing would be the "option" I'd pick. But throwing yourself on the grenade, while a noble gesture, can cause one great harm. Maybe "dial back" your scope, a bit. Start off small. Go work/volunteer at a rescue mission. If you're in a current band, maybe get the whole band to come along. My experience with that, was wonderful. First you help serve food, then you perform for the people you just fed, then you hang out and talk to people.​
Another cool gig was performing for CLIMB (a local "home for the blind"). They can't see you (which, for me, might be a good thing), but they can listen. And a very appreciative audience.​
Unfortunately, there are lots of people than need help/can use a hand. Or need just a kind word. And almost everyone I know, hopes at least "someone out there cares". As they say .... Random acts of kindness ... is a good thing.​

This thread has been great to read. So much good perspective and the realization that there are a lot of good people out there like me. I did 10 years in the military out of college, then decided to chase the corporate carrot that so many of you have described...a soul-less and fruitless pursuit on my part. I turned into the angry guy that was always pushing too hard to make things happen. Somewhere in there, I bought some drums after giving it up for those 10 years. Interesting how much more I appreciate playing now than when I was a bit younger...much more like therapy! I did a career change at 40...closer to what I did in the military and away from the corporate gig. I don't make as much money but I am way happier and my wife and kids don't fear my return at the end of the work day. The job change, a good family, and a great set of drums kept me sane! Go for it! Departing my soapbox now...

Just curious, what is the unemployemnt rate in EU collectively? The US is finally somewwhat down from last year to about 8%

The unemployemnt rate in Europe collectively is 10,7% as of January 2012, with the lowest rate in Austria 4%, the Netherland 5% and Luxembourg 5,1%, the highest rate are in Spain 23,3%, Greece 19,9% and Ireland 14,8%.

Not a very great figure for Europe, I hope that the contacts I have in other countries will be able to help job wise when I move to another country again, fingers crossed. :)

Unfortunately, there are lots of people than need help/can use a hand. Or need just a kind word. And almost everyone I know, hopes at least "someone out there cares". As they say .... Random acts of kindness ... is a good thing.

Sage advice all round, Harry.

Another option is at the other end of the scale - the "boom industry" now (and in the foreseeable future) is elder care, which also includes things like shopping, chores and companionship.

Back