Brann Dailor

I completely agree, I think that Dailors fills are so musical and fit the music so well that you never lose sense of the groove, if anything it really enhances it and gives the song an obvious flow, whilst still being technical and interesting.

tambian89 said:
I completely agree with Franklinj. He does overplay his parts, as they are riddled with snare fills and rolls. I listened to the album Leviathan, and heard him keep a steady beat very rarely. Dailor attempts to bring in the progressive style of drumming like other metal and alternative drummers do, like Chris Adler and Danny Carey, but I do not think he performs this style as well as others. In my opinion, he should try sticking with the bassist and keeping a more steady beat. Everything seems to be played for no more than 20 seconds before there is another snare roll; What is the reason for this? Dave Lombardo got respect for his fills and double bassing, and so did Mike Portnoy (who I find juist as skilled as Lombardo), but they also knew when a steady beat was needed. Brann Dailor seems to almost be showing off.
- Marc

I just read this through again, are you suggesting that Adler is better than Dailor!!??
personally i can't see that at all, playing a "steady beat" is fine but Dailors style is so much more interesting and really adds to the music. For me adler rinses out the old china/ride over double bass pattern a bit too much. but hey thats standard metal for you i guess.

I found it funny how in an interview with MD, Dailor said that he needed to "tone it down" for the recordings and "play grooves instead of a whole bunch of fills" when recording. I dont here either.

I am on a Brann Dailor kick right now! I started listening to Mastodon recently and I've totally become a huge fan of his style. He definitely goes overboard with the extended fills, but it still works. For instance, the song "Crusher Destroyer" is basically just one long drum fill, but it sounds awesome. His drums sound really good, too.

franklinj said:
I found it funny how in an interview with MD, Dailor said that he needed to "tone it down" for the recordings and "play grooves instead of a whole bunch of fills" when recording. I dont here either.
Wow, this really makes me want to see them live.

Mr. Bananagrabber said:
Wow, this really makes me want to see them live.

Man, I had the chance, but I heard about it the day AFTER IT HAPPENED!!!!

Argh. That pissed me off so much.

Edit: Same thing happened with CoB. Damn them lazy promoters.

Brann is by far my favorite drummer! I saw him with today is the day on the in the eyes of god tour. It was the absolute most amazing drum work I've ever seen. He does a ton of fills, but never goes off time. I think he feels the music more then any one and instead of sticking to a structured beat he just plays what he feels. He for sure has the ability to do it and I have nothing but respect for him.

sween said:
Just started using the forum (although i have been reading with interest for a few months). I love loads of the drummers that have already been mentioned in this forum. Danny Carey, Bonham, John Theodore, Dave Grohl etc.(and loads that haven't, Ian paice, Matt Cameron, Brian Downey.) But one drummer who has really caught my attention recently is Brann Dailor (Mastadon). His chops and speed are incredible but where other metal drummers sacrifice feel and groove his are unreal. His use of ghost notes is superb and though you could argue he over plays it is what makes mastadon's music so exciting. He is a crazily creative drummer. Also a lot of other metal players could learn from him that use double kick drumming only when it feels right. I have seen him twice live and the stuff he nailed to a tee blew me away.
Sorry for being long winded but he is a great inspiration. Any thoughts.

Brann Dailor is one of the most amazing drummers I have ever heard! His beats are so original. I totally agree with you.

Re: brann dailor

Limo Driver said:
That's funny, I think he's pretty tasteful. Maybe it's just because he pwns me too much for me to notice. @_@

theres no such thing as overplaying as far as im concerned

What do you guys think about Brann Dailor from Mastodon? I love how he adds tons of fills and rolls right in the middle of guitar riffs. It adds a nice feel to the music. I havn't heard any other metal drummers who have that sort of style.

Yeah, he fills alot but they come in and out all over the place and never lose their place. Thats something that really impresses me about him. He always is under control despite the chaos that seems to be going on.

brann is class....he's got his own style...yea its fill heavy buts thats just him!!

ya'll should check out the mastodon dvd thats out...ya get about 30 live tunes and boy he's fun to watch play!!!!

sween said:
Just started using the forum (although i have been reading with interest for a few months). I love loads of the drummers that have already been mentioned in this forum. Danny Carey, Bonham, John Theodore, Dave Grohl etc.(and loads that haven't, Ian paice, Matt Cameron, Brian Downey.) But one drummer who has really caught my attention recently is Brann Dailor (Mastadon). His chops and speed are incredible but where other metal drummers sacrifice feel and groove his are unreal. His use of ghost notes is superb and though you could argue he over plays it is what makes mastadon's music so exciting. He is a crazily creative drummer. Also a lot of other metal players could learn from him that use double kick drumming only when it feels right. I have seen him twice live and the stuff he nailed to a tee blew me away.
Sorry for being long winded but he is a great inspiration. Any thoughts.
Brann Dailor is one guy(apart from chris adler and danny carey)whose playing can never go out of style!!!!INSANE

I recently picked up Mastodon's new one, Blood Mountain. Anyone that's been saying that he lacks groove and feel...well, check it out, because this is Mastodon's grooviest album to date. Sure, he goes nuts in lots of parts on this one, but he's evolved with the band and has actually toned it down some. Any way you turn it, he's one of the most talented metal drummers working today.

Just recently got into Mastodon. Brann is out of this world! I certainly wouldn't call it overplaying - everything seems to fit. He's turned 'metal' drumming on it's head.

Man....all this talk about Mastodon and Branns drumming. I think I'll go put on Blood Mountain!!

Me and my band supported them for a show on December 1st 2005. They're amazing live, but Brann is ridiculously amazing. Watching him from the side of the stage was awesome, and I could see everything he was doing. It made me wanna cry.....
He's an awesome guy as well. Funny as hell. I have his autograph somewhere.....

Dean

100607633a4784814007l.jpg

100607633a4784812811l.jpg

100607633a4784819834l.jpg

100607633a4784800482l.jpg

100607633a4784820344l.jpg

the man brann, bloody amazin drummer and to look at him live he doing it so easy, its like, ah il just throw another fill her, here and here to sure why not

This is me and Brann Dailor. He's my idol...

I was first row at the show. Great stuff!

Attachments

• Brann and Me.jpg
    Brann and Me.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 4,282
Back