Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: hi :)

yoadbarok said:
hi im new here
my name's yoad im 16 and a half years old from israel
i got my drumkit almost 2 years ago... i posted a video of myself playing on the "your playing"
forum :)
hope you'll enjoy it...

hey yoad welcome to the forum.....hope you like it.....you can learn alot here

Hello!

Hi, my name is Lucas, i'm from Mar del Plata - Argentina and i'm speak english so so/ bad =(.
Always I liked the idea of this forum. I speak from a translator, I understand some words, other one not =(.
I am a fanatic of the drum, I'm 18 years old and study seriously technically from the 17, use the traditional grip.
In these moments I study with a teacher who touches jazz merger and the truth is that it explains very well.
I am doing Famularo's books (moeller), Syncopation, Stick control and Gary Chafee.
Well, it is quite, good-bye!

Re: Introduce Yourself

real name? Lisa
age? 28
how long been playing? About 6 months!
origin of user name? I really couldnt think of anything....im sorta all over the place when i play, so storm popped into my head
top 5 drummers? Nicko McBrain, Steven Adler, Lars, John Tempesta, Tommy Lee
make of drumkit? Pearl Export
make of cymbal? Zildjian A Series
where do you practice? The "Green" Room.....we painted a feature wall in there this greeny/aqua colour....the name stuck
are you in a band/s? Nope
covers or originals? N/A
what style of music? Metal
favourite take out food? Sushi
country? Australia
one really odd fact about yourself? ummmm....i love my meat 95% raw! if its cooked i cant eat it!
how did you start drumming?
I saw Steven Adler play back in '88(i was 11) and loved a happy drummer....so i decided i wanted to be a happy drummer too....unfortunately it wasnt until last year that i got my drum kit!

real name? Billy.
age? Just 20.
how long been playing? 3, maybe 4 Years.
origin of user name? I wear size 15 runners (that's 16 in US size).
top 5 drummers? John Wright, John Bonham, Chris Dangerous, Dave Grohl, Thomas Lang.
make of drumkit? Premier: Cabria Series
make of cymbal? Sabian, Meinl, Paiste, Anvil and a Zildjian i'm not currently using.
where do you practice? At home in my attic and i spend a lot of time hitting my legs with my hands when i'm bored as well.
are you in a band/s? Just one at the moment we were all in a band called "Captain Crotch" but we just need a different singer.
covers or originals? Up until this point all originals, I have played Covers with other bands though.
what style of music? Punk/Ska/Rock/Funk/Primus
favourite take out food? Chipper or Mexican
country? I live inIreland so i might someday move somewhere where it dosen't rain all the time.
one really odd fact about yourself? I don't know... I find it very hard to sleep (and get up in the morning)
how did you start drumming? I started at first because i saw other people i knew playing instruments, I took it seriously after seeing Queens of the Stone Age play a club in Ireland.

Hi everyone
My name is Joe, i'm 16 and i live in Liverpool, England. I've been drumming since I was 10 but I still am not very good. I started drumming when my parents decided to buy me a kit after my music teacher in school said I was good. Which I wasn't but hey, I got a kit! It is a Premier kit and I still use it but I might replace it soon. As of today I use Paiste 2002 cymbals after finally getting rid of those horrible B8's i've had for 4 years! My favourite drummers(in no particular order) are Neil Peart, Phil Collins, Keith Moon, John Bonham and myself. That's about all there is to say about myself really!

real name? Johnny Getz
age? 58
how long been playing? played for 6 years then took a 30 year break, now back
origin of user name? sons nickname was grunter
top 5 drummers? Ringo, Grady Tate,
make of drumkit? TAYE
make of cymbal? Paiste
where do you practice? Family Room
are you in a band/s? no
covers or originals? no
what style of music? any
favourite take out food? pizza
country? USA Florida
one really odd fact about yourself? I was the swimming coach for one of the kids on "Charles in Charge" with Scott Baio.
how did you start drumming? Gave up keyboards and saxophone, but still play keyboards

Last edited:

hey, I'm new here, so I guess this is where I start.

real name? J.D.
age? 14
how long been playing? 3 1/2 years
origin of user name? When I play metal, I get blisters, and Slipknot song: The Blister exist.
top 5 drummers? Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart, Keith Moon, Daney Carrey, Russ Chapman (teacher)
make of drumkit? Mapex
make of cymbal? Sabian (solar)
where do you practice? My cat's room
are you in a band/s? 3 off and on projects
covers or originals? Originals
what style of music? Everything except country and techno (Mostly prog and metal)
favourite take out food? TACO BELL!!
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? I think that fat people are awesome.
how did you start drumming? A friend gave me 2 percussion drums and a cymbal. And I got sick of people saying why don't you play guitar like you brothers.

Questions?

NUTHA JASON said:
real name?
Erik Nilssen

age?

how long been playing?
almost three years

origin of user name?
Metallica is my favourite band, and guess who is the drummer..?

top 5 drummers?
Lars Ulrich
Terry Bozzio
Mike Portnoy
Ian Paice
Nicko McBrain (sp)

make of drumkit?
Tama
make of cymbal?
Zildjan

where do you practice?
At home and in "the ghetto"

are you in a band/s?
Yup! "chords of martyr"

covers or originals?
Both

what style of music?
Thrash metal\heavy metal and rock\hard rock

favourite take out food?
Chips and hotdogs

country?
uhh... Norway?

one really odd fact about yourself?
hmm.. That one needs some thinking..

I was bored one summer and I knew I had the gift of the pleasures that is rythm, so I signed up for some classes and have been playing since.

Well.. That's me.
I just have to say, before I go, that I really like the layout in this forum! It's exactly simmilar to the "AMF" - forum, so when I came here I felt like I've been here for an eternity. you deserve credit for that:D

real name?
Brent Stranathan
age?
how long been playing?
since i was 5 (Feb 1990 to be exact), so 16 years
origin of user name?
my sn, first name backwards, favorite numbers, and turned out to be the serial number on my Les Paul
favourite drummers?
John Bonham, Keith Moon, Matt Cameron, Ringo Starr, Dave Grohl, Chad Smith, Jason McGerr, Mitch Mitchell, Stewart Copeland, John Densmore, Steve Gadd, Steve Jordan, Jose Pasillias, Zach Lind, Sterling Campbell, Taylor Hawkins, Darren Jessee, Pat Wilson, Ginger Baker, Jon Theodore, Levon Helm, and anyone else I've heard.
make of drumkit?
Ludwig
make of cymbal?
Zildjian
where do you practice?
basement
are you in a band/s?
not at the moment, currently looking for some gigs
covers or originals?
i've done them both
what style of music?
rock and roll ain't noise pollution
favourite take out food?
taco bell
country?
usa
i'm good at laughing at innapropriate times
i started setting up pots and pans and pillows to play along with beatles records when i was 2 or 3

so yeah, i've been playing drums for quite a while. i also play guitar, bass, and piano. I'm a rock guy, but i have a deep appreciation for all music, from motown to dance hall reggae. i just recently left berklee college of music, where i was a music production and engineering major, to pursue playing drums professionally. that's basically it. anything else is just details.

-brent

Last edited:

Hello fellow drummers! I'm Phil from West Midlands, England. I started drumming at age 12, had a number of lessons but soon got bored and did my own thing. After being in a number of bands I stopped playing at age 18 when I moved away to University. I picked the sticks up again at 28 when I moved back to my home town and got back in a couple of bands.

Suffice to say that I am paying the price for being undisciplined in my younger years and also from taking a break from the instrument during my 20s. I'm 31 now and am back up to a reasonable standard but I'm determined to raise my game. I started having lessons again last year and am practicing as much as time alows (usually an hour each weekday and more on weekends). Am currently working on some latin beats to 'add to my sound pallet' which is cool.

Equipment wise, for practice I'm using a Yamaha DTXpress electic kit with Roland V-Drum mesh head as a snare and I have an old Tama Swingstar which I recently dragged out of retirement.

My main kit is a Yamaha Beech Custom in Candy Apple Red with a Yamaha Bamboo Custom snare, Kildjian K/Z 13" hats, K Dark Custom 15" and 16" crashes and a Paiste 20" Signature Dry Heavy Ride which is ace! I've recently added some Stagg splash cymbals and chinas which are surprisingly good for the money.

Anyway, hello again to you all and I look forward to being part of the forum!

real name?
Carl
age?
how long been playing?
18 yrs
occupation?
designer/ programmer/ laser dept manager for a metal fabricator
origin of user name?
negative attitude = side job is photography. weddings, little league, and just for fun.
favorite drummers?
tommy, shannon larkin, met bozzio and wackerman last year both are great. i was about 2 feet away from one of bozzio's kicks while he played, he's real good!
make of drumkit?
pdp shells, everything else dw
sticks used?
ahead rock, vic firth rock or 5b
make of cymbals?
paiste signature
where do you practice? drum room
are you in a band?
not anymore
covers or originals?
was both
what style of music?
heavy rock
favorite foods?
italian, mexican
country?
U.S.A.
one odd fact about yourself?
I have custody of my 10yr old son. that's kinda odd.
how did you start drumming? it looked cooler than guitar and i can't sing that well. didn't get my first real kit until i was 16 or 17
interesting facts?
i use to go see dave matthews play little clubs here in richmond long before the world knew who he was. the guys from gwar are here too, dave brockie and i have mutual friends, he's a cool dude, seen them many times just not my thing. the lamb of god guys rehearse at the slavepit studios (gwar owns that) a few miles away, haven't met them yet. some older guys might remember a band called firehouse, they were known as whiteheat here in richmond, have known a couple of those guys forever. hung out with steve (tleetech) here a couple of months ago he's a great guy, check out his thread if you haven't already.

real name? Steinar
age? 16
how long been playing? about 6 years
origin of user name? I want to dedicate my life to the drums!
top 5 drummers? Steve Gadd, Dennis Chambers, Jojo Mayer, Jeff Porcaro and Chad Smith
make of drumkit? PDP CX series 6-piece kit
make of cymbal? Zildjian K crashes, splash and hihat, Zildjian K Custom Session Ride ++
where do you practice? At home, in my room.
are you in a band/s? Well, I play in an arranged jazz trio for the moment, real fun!
covers or originals? Covers, but we arrange them ourselves
what style of music? I play everything. EVERYTHING!
favourite take out food? Kebab or Pizza
country? I live in a great house in Norway.
one really odd fact about yourself? I'm dutch
how did you start drumming? started playing the snare in a marching band at the age of ten, then moved over to the kit a half year later

Hi all, new guy here

'WOW i suck at intros' these are echoes of what is (was!) my ego talking.

Hello everyone, my name is Dave, am from the UK and currently 25.

I've been playing my Yamaha DTExpress II for around 3 years now, with long absences. Usually jamming along with bands like Tool, Dream Theater, Foo Fighters, System of a Down and many more. I love Rock and it's many variations because of the range of emotion and energy that is available.

I love to drum. I don't care if I'll ever be famous or even in a band I just love it for what it is. Me, the sticks and the kit.

Does anyone elses brain massively reward with endorphins when drumming? ;)

Do you think having a Acoustic kit would boost em?

Re: Hi all, new guy here

monkeyman said:
Does anyone elses brain massively reward with endorphins when drumming? ;)

Do you think having a Acoustic kit would boost em?

Hell yeah. Electronics are sort of like the computer game version of real drums - they are to drumming what Gran Turismo is to race driving..

I'm new here, everyone.

age? 18

how long been playing? 12 years

top 5 drummers? carter beauford, vinnie colaiuta, dave weckl, john bonham, neil peart

make of drumkit? pearl export

make of cymbal? zildjian

where do you practice? my room w/ recording equipment

are you in a band/s? not currently (discounting school affiliated bands)

covers or originals? both

what style of music? i try to play a little of everything, i prefer playing DMB-style rock

country? USA

real name?
Jorn Poulsen

age?

how long been playing?
1973-1991, 2006 - ?

origin of user name?
My name

top 5 drummers?
Jeff Pocaro
Steve Gadd
Kieth Carlock
Vinnie Colaiuta
John Blackwell

make of drumkit?
Roland TD20, 7pc Pearl GLX, Pearl brass free floating snare

make of cymbal?
Zildjian K, Paiste 2002

where do you practice?
In the maids laundry room!

are you in a band/s?
Was until 1991 in a cover band

covers or originals?
Cover.

what style of music?
Al Jarreau
Toto
Eagles
Eric Clapton
Beatles
U2

favourite take out food?'
Japanese

country?
Am from Denmark. but work in Malaysia

I am in general not odd, but I am a leftie.

Dad was busy one year so i got a drumset in stead of going on summer holiday. An orange Tama Swingstar. Ugly as hell, but sounded ok.

Rob Kuijpers (Robbie EXR) (Holland)

real name? Rob Kuijpers
age? 25
how long been playing? 13 years
origin of user name? Playing an EXR

top 5 drummers?
1. Jose Pasillas (Incubus)
2. Dominic Howard (MUSE)
3. Brian Fahey (the Paladins)
4. Paul Koehler (Silverstein)
5.Travis Barker (Blink, Plus 44, Transplants, etc.)

make of drumkit? Pearl
make of cymbal? Paiste
where do you practice? @home
are you in a band/s? yes
covers or originals? both
what style of music? Crossover/Emopunk
favourite take out food? Asian
country? Holland
one really odd fact about yourself? Lefthanded on a Right setup??

Inspired through the local Drumcorps, Didn't really wanted to be a part of the corps (stupid I know), but just wanted to hitt the drums. My dad is handy, and made me a drumkit out of an old chaireframe in combo with turned over bukkets (needet a lot, got them from a baker). That's how is started. After that just starden no lessons just listening to a lot of music (stupid I know). In the Years bought and solld a couple of kits. Quited en started again, groing up thing (you know). And know back again, since 2 years. Just bought an EXR, to get the feeling again. But having big plans ....hahaha thnx

Real name?
John Little

Age?
37..Unfortunately

How long been playing?
I start next week. Really. I've fiddled around with music for years - mostly with DJing, samplers, grooveboxes, and stuff like that but haven't picked up a traditional instrument. I scheduled weekly lessons and they start next week. My complete lack of musical ability is about to be confirmed by an expert.

Origin of user name?
It's my real name. I'm creative like that.

Top 5 drummers?
Josh Freese
Keith Moon
Ringo Starr
John Bonham
Danny Carey
and a 6th...Josh Garza of Secret Machines
I'm not a drum nerd yet so I can't name the more obscure guys. Give me a few weeks.

Make of drumkit?
None. I'm looking at a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau set though.

Make of cymbal?
None as of yet. Seems like you can't go wrong with Zildjian though.

Where do you practice?
Probably home if the neighbors don't freak.

Are you in a band/s?
Nope.

Covers or originals?
See above. Not really interested in the cover band thing though unless it was something like bad punk covers of even worse original songs. Not that it matters since I can't actually play anything at the moment.

What style of music?
I like everything with the exception of modern (post 1980 I guess) country with a couple of exceptions. Rock, punk, rap, hip-hop, blues, metal, electronica is all good.

Favourite take out food?
Chinese

Country?
USA

One really odd fact about yourself?
My only experience with drums is playing one song live in front of a about a thousand people. I was watching friends play a local club and the drummer quit before the last song, threw me his sticks, and told me to play something. I got up and banged out something horrible which the band turned into a cover of Radiohead's Creep. I think 20 people came up to me and told me I rocked. They were drunk.

How did you start drumming?
I should have started earlier but I had some other goals I needed to reach. Now that that's done I'm setting aside some time - and money - for music.

Last edited:

real name? Mike Bagley
age? 30
how long been playing? 13yrs
origin of user name? Rhythm
top 5 drummers? Peart, Herb, Mitch, Mike, Carter
make of drumkit? DW
make of cymbal? Sabain
where do you practice? Anywhere
are you in a band/s? Yes
covers or originals?Orig.
what style of music? Rock
favourite take out food? Pizza
country? Now Japan
one really odd fact about yourself? I have five ams
how did you start drumming? Alway watch the drummer when I was a kid

PLaying drums in Japan but not being japanese. Live is fun www.sushicabaretclub.com

Well, why not tell people something about myself... Since I'll be around on this forum people might wanna know a thing or two about me.
My real name is Philip, I am 20 years old at the moment. I've been playing since I was ten.
My user name was first conceived when I decided to join the Flexbeta.net forum. It's because I'm really tall, 2m or 6' 6". I look very strong, and even intimidating for some people, but I'm actually a very nice guy, I never really get violent. Except when I play drums, which brings me to my top 5 drummer list: Mike Portnoy, Virgil Donati, Michael Thomas (Bullet for my Valentine), Steve Gadd, Jukka Nevalainen (Nightwish). I own a Tama Swingstar, and for some reason I'm a big Tama fan. It doesn't really make any sense, since I also like the sound of Pearl drums, or whatever brand actually. And I really don't have a preference for a cymbal brand, I have Sabians, Stagg, Paiste, Meinl and Pearl, and I like them all, each for their specific function.
I also have a Roland TD6, which I use in my room in Enschede, the Netherlands. I live in an apartment building near the Twente University campus, and my neighbours arent tolerant... I can practise on the TD6 pretty well but I like my accoustic set more since it's more versatile, bigger and louder. I am in a Christian band, we play mostly covers, but also some of our own writing. The band style is pop/rock, my style is kinda heavy so that gives us a pretty unique sound.
My favourite take-out food is Chinese.
one really odd fact about myself? I don't know... there's too many of them.
The story behind me starting playing drums is in another topic on this forum, read it; it's pretty funny. Bottom line is I started because I wanted to help out... Now I'm a heavy drum addict.
Well, I hope that clarifies a thing or two about me. I'd like to apologise for any inconvenience that I have caused on this forum as a n00b, I'm a pretty well-respected member at flexbeta but the style at that forum is kinda different. I'm still getting used to things around here.

Well, I guess I'll be in touch!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back