What is the least number of stands I could get away with

lhrocker

Not including the hi-hats, if I had 8 crash/ride/china and one splash, what could be the least number of cymbal stands that I could used to get by? I guess this would mean using multi-clamps and stackers in place of stands. The cymbal sizes are 14, 15, 16, 16, 17, 18, 16 china and 8" crash.

I currently fly 3 crashes, 2 splashes, a ride, and 2 chinas, plus four toms. All of this fits on three stands (minus the hi-hat and snare).

From left to right: one boom stand plus a clamped boom holder and a clamped splash holder handles a 19" crash, a 14" china and an 8" splash. A double tom stand holds my 2 rack toms and a splash. I fly a crash off the top mount of my bass drum. An 18" crash, a 20" ride, and a 20" china, plus the 14" tom, hang on a third stand on my right (using a short rack tube and some multi-clamps). The 16" tom is a floor tom.

I have seen some dudes using a stand for each cymbal in their set, but... why?

Also: I don't use any double-braced stands in this set-up at all... and I have no stability issues worth mentioning.

Not including the hi-hats, if I had 8 crash/ride/china and one splash, what could be the least number of cymbal stands that I could used to get by? I guess this would mean using multi-clamps and stackers in place of stands. The cymbal sizes are 14, 15, 16, 16, 17, 18, 16 china and 8" crash.

It would actually depend on how you want your kit set up. Depending where you have your drums positioned, you might get two or three cymbals on a stand using clamps and cymbal arms. For this kit I'm using three cymbal stands and a bass drum cymbal arm for the ride. All the cymbals are in a pretty good arc configuration, about 170 degrees, so that's why the three stands are needed. I really don't care for stackers, but I might be able to loose one stand if I used them.

DSC_0717.jpg

Dennis

I currently fly 3 crashes, 2 splashes, a ride, and 2 chinas, plus four toms. All of this fits on three stands (minus the hi-hat and snare).

Normally I would tell you rather similar to the above. I have mounted a variety of instruments on other instruments on other instruments for many years. However, I picked up a very slightly used 3 sided Gibraltar curved rack about 2 weeks ago. I don't know if I will ever have a need for an archetypal cymbal/tom stand again. I went into GC to purchase a Tama Double Tom Stand. I ended up with this for a very similar price with twice the amount of clamps and memory locks as compared to when sold new. I could see how Yamaha's Hex or Pearl's rectangular rack would be easier to position without memory locks, but this thing is awesome. I am now a lover of fine racks. Bazing! I find it easier to position drums and cymbals without the legs getting in the way (windy outdoor concerts, festivals and venues be damned!), and it clears floor space. I also like to wrap my mic cables around the tubes. It tidies up a bit. Before this I would lug an 80-120 pound flight case full of stands, clamps and accessories around. I know this sounds crazy, but I always wanted to have anything I might require to right a backline kit. Tillers don’t weigh much; bases and tubes sure do. Rack it and rack it now. I gig 4-5 days/nights of the week. I found something that can be easily transported (in a Mazda5 which is my musicianmobile and daddy wagon) and quickly set up.

ive got 8,10,12,14, toms, 13 snare plus 19 chineese, 16 crash, 17 crash, 10 splash, 18 crash ride, 10 splash, 16 crash and 20 ride, lp block, tamborine and cow bell on 4 stands, i have a 6 roto tom attached to my hats, my 16 is a floor tom and the 14 snare has a snare stand, the stands all fit in my riser with out breaking them down, i can set up and tear down faster than some guys with a kit half the size.
263940_10150867240980001_829835000_19740231_4393696_n.jpg

Lots of great info here. I currently mount each cymbal on it's own stand and it's getting very messy. I will have to look for different mounts and multi-stands. Here are a couple of pictures of how I have my cymbals today. I would like to add probably another A Custom and a 16" China.

DSC04205.jpg

DSC04206.jpg

If i were you i would definetley get a rack. Whether it be a yamaha hex rack, gibraltar curved, or pearl icon.

I would also recommend Gibraltar Stealth racks, but if your going to keep adding on i would just go with a traditional rack, and then sell your cymbal stands.

I've entertained the thought of going to a rack, but being that I'm putting this kit in mu studio for my son and that it will probably never move, that may be overkill. Still in the back of my mind, but buying a couple of multi-clamps may be a cheaper solution since I can pull all the tops off my current stands.

If i were you i would definetley get a rack. Whether it be a yamaha hex rack, gibraltar curved, or pearl icon.

I would also recommend Gibraltar Stealth racks, but if your going to keep adding on i would just go with a traditional rack, and then sell your cymbal stands.

I have no problem with using a 20" ride, 18" china and 19" crash all on ONE stand.

I've done it that way for years and years.

So I think two or three stands would easily hold all your cymbals.

Ah. At least you're putting it in a permanent place! I don't mind all the multi-clamping going on, but when you gig alot, I've seen guys just take forever getting their cymbals back in the right places. I only have three cymbals and a hat and use single straight stands for each one (and sometimes I only use two cymbals and the hats). When I was young I tried doing the Stewart Copeland thing and had all these multi-clamps all over the kit, set-up and tear-down became this huge ordeal and I got lazy!

Since you are not moving or gigging the kit then multi-clamp your heart out. I would suggest some DW dogbones with booms if you already have booms that will accommodate them. Look for used or look in the clearance section at GC.

I don't mind all the multi-clamping going on, but when you gig alot, I've seen guys just take forever getting their cymbals back in the right places.

Which is why when I gig, all I do is collapse the booms and legs, and lower the height on the vertical tubes. Everything stays clamped together like it is and gets put in the car that way. When I get to the gig, it's essentially the same number of stands as you... and it takes me about fifteen minutes to set up.

I have no problem with using a 20" ride, 18" china and 19" crash all on ONE stand.

I've done it that way for years and years.

So I think two or three stands would easily hold all your cymbals.

Would you happen to have a picture of that? I'd like to see how you do it as my ride is 21" and I do a 2 up 1 down kit.

Would you happen to have a picture of that? I'd like to see how you do it as my ride is 21" and I do a 2 up 1 down kit.

Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea:

wot06.jpg

Same stand, different drum set:
DW_front.jpg

It's a sound percussion heavy duty cymbal stand for the crash. Attached to it I have a 3 way Pearl multi-clamp, with two boom arms, one for the ride, and one for the china.

Back