Favorite bass player? Only one allowed

James Jamerson, the great Motown bassist. Arguably the first "master" of the electric bass.

James Jamerson, the great Motown bassist. Arguably the first "master" of the electric bass.

I was waiting for someone to drop his name! It's been about two days. The only reason I didn't was because I decided to stick to the "only one allowed".

*cough, cough* Jack Bruce *cough, cough, cough,cough*

Actually, I was wondering if I could change my answer to Bootsy Collins. I also have a question, How good is he and why is he so good. As in what is it he does that sets him apart?

And then back to the Favorite Bass Player of all time.

Bootsy Collins is perhaps the funkiest man ever to walk the earth. If I had to pin it down, I'd say 1000% ability (to be funky, a closely guarded secret) coupled w/ 1000% confidence

Actually, I was wondering if I could change my answer to Bootsy Collins. I also have a question, How good is he and why is he so good. As in what is it he does that sets him apart?

You are totally confusing me. You make a choice and then ask us why? Shouldn't you be the one stating why you think he is the greatest?

Funk/jazz is to bass guitar what rock and metal is to lead guitar. The fancy speed demons or shredders flock to that genre. But my favorite is still Louis Johnson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEtNg_QTi8o

I don't know if you've ever given Mothership Connection from Parliament Funkadelic a good listen, but if not. Get off your ass and do so! It'll explain it all.

And James Brown's Sex Machine album; Mr. Collins is on that piece as well.

+ second one allowed.

I can't let this man behind.

Attachments

• steve-harris-iron-maiden.jpg
    steve-harris-iron-maiden.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,346
Okay It is probably Flea of the red hot chili peppers.

Actually flea and sting are both my favorite but it said only one so I pulled an eni-miny-minie-mo.

Paul McCartney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Same here. The bass lines in Something and Silly Love Songs are two of the best ever recorded in pop/rock music. Paul McCartney has countless other great bass parts, but those two I think are his best. Before there was Paul, the bassist stood out in the background. He is the one that turned the bass guitar into a "front man" instrument. It should be noted that Motown legend James Jamerson had a big influence on McCartney's playing.

Yea Paul is a really interesting bass player, very melodic, as was Jamerson. I love that style of playing, like the bass line is a whole separate song. I just got an idea for a new thread!

Jaco Pastorius, for sure. Fun Fact: Jaco was originally a drummer.

On just pure Bass playing skills, seeing played live...gotta go with Victor Wooten.
Woulda like to have seen Jaco play tho...

Back