The pressure is on ☛

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
You know, honestly I think Im gonna wait on this one till they come out with a digital pressure gauge and adjustable LED brightness.

http://www.airlogic.com/

Attachments

• Picture 34.png
    Picture 34.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Picture 35.png
    Picture 35.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 730
  • Picture 36.png
    Picture 36.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 708
hhm looks interesting will there be a direct drive could possibly get more interest. dont like the footplates at all

Shocks instead of springs. Interesting. And for 230.00 seems reasonable.

I just can't imagine very many people buying these. Like the PDP B.O.A. pedal and the Gibraltar Catapult. Sometimes "too weird" is just "too weird".....

those footboards look like hell to play. What's wrong with a normal plate that actually gives you some space to place your foot on?

I don't think that air would be any better than a spring, The exception being that the drummer would have more control of pedal tension by adjusting the air press. I can't see the pedal being any faster.
The downside is that there is more parts to break. KISS! (Keep It Simple Stupid!)
The main engineering beauty of the foot pedal is that it is a simple device that takes advantage of just about all of the laws of physics to work.
I really don't feel like monitoring the press on my pedals. It's just one more dumb thing to worry about. In 35 years of playing, I have never had a pedal fail. I wouldn't want to spoil that record!

"The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain" - Chief Engineering Officer Scotty.

Here's my simple 'old-faithful' Camco from 1983...

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 630
Very cool and innovative. I would love to give these a try. I think it's great to see such experimentation and boundary pushing. Let's face it, Western plywood drums haven't changed much in 150 years and trap drums not much in 75+ years since Krupa got us started with lugs and hoops. The very first bass drum pedals are over 100 years old and were spring operated, like the ones today. The last big revolution was plastic heads in the 1950s! Looking at that record, it is easy to think drummers don't tend to embrace innovation. A breath of fresh air is welcome.

I think one downside of these might be, they wouldn't be as robust as spring pedals - you couldn't just toss them into the trap case. I have seen some pedals that use rare earth magnets instead of springs and those would be great also.

The wife and I were kind of musing about these kinds of systems the other day (we are both cyclists and I grew up in an automotive eng family - the whole spring thing has been explored in those areas), but for controlling the rebound damping (as opposed to changing spring rate)
anyone remember those softride stems..that they eventually put a little damper shock on?
sort of like that

One thing I think that site neglects to mention (or maybe oversimplifies with "all" -- you CAN actually vary the rate of a coil spring (which is really just a wound up torsion bar) by varying the spacing in the coils.
I don't think it was intentional or particularly distorting from a 'typical product' standpoint - but not completely accurate in terms of allowing for a variety of solutions...and as long as we are getting gizmo... :D

I imagine this pedal playing just like the magnetic pedal.

It might be worth a try, but I wouldn't buy anything in 2009 that looks like it's from 1979.

Quote....Let's face it, Western plywood drums haven't changed much in 150 years.

Gretsch invented ply drums in the 1920's so they are really only 80 some years old, but point well taken. I too would like to try the pedal.

If it aint broke, don't fix it

There's a reason drum gear hasn't changed much over the years.

I think there have been many subtle changes. Wood types, cross layering of wood plies, types of heads, cymbal lathing and hammering, shock resistant sticks, plastic "wood" blocks, double pedals, 2.3 mm rims, s-hoops. Many many changes but nothing drastic.

How many MPG does that thing get? The footboards look like they'd cause a serious flesh-wound if played without shoes.

Very cool and innovative. I would love to give these a try. I think it's great to see such experimentation and boundary pushing. Let's face it, Western plywood drums haven't changed much in 150 years and trap drums not much in 75+ years since Krupa got us started with lugs and hoops. The very first bass drum pedals are over 100 years old and were spring operated, like the ones today. The last big revolution was plastic heads in the 1950s! Looking at that record, it is easy to think drummers don't tend to embrace innovation. A breath of fresh air is welcome.

I think one downside of these might be, they wouldn't be as robust as spring pedals - you couldn't just toss them into the trap case. I have seen some pedals that use rare earth magnets instead of springs and those would be great also.
There was far more variation in pedal design a few decades ago, including a hydraulic pedal by Premier. There's a reason why it all simmered down to the basic design we have today.

Quote....Let's face it, Western plywood drums haven't changed much in 150 years.

Gretsch invented ply drums in the 1920's so they are really only 80 some years old, but point well taken. I too would like to try the pedal.

I researched this more and you are indeed right. Plywood was invented in the 1850s but apparently wasn't used much for drums - perhaps because drummers then were a conservative lot who didn't want to try new things much!

Weren't the first Ludwig and Leedy snares and basses made of plywood? In the 1900s and 1910s?

Back