Yamaha Club Custom History

wildbill

Platinum Member
Anyone know anything about it. These have Club Custom badges, but they don't have the swirl paint, so I assume there must have been an earlier line before?
Also, it looks like it has the plate that someone here makes to cover the mounting bracket holes - ha ha.

EDIT: found them in the Yamaha archives. Substituting a link for the pic:

http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/drums/club_custom/?mode=model

Last edited:
Those are the older Club Customs. I had a set in red with like a spider web black lacing. I believe they are birch/mahogany Great drums, and getting rare. Wish I still had mine.

Are there any model or serial numbers on the name plates?

Don't know - it's just a pic I lifted off a site that has them for sale.

OK. The age is not so important. The condition is. I would not buy any drums without a physical inspection. I just purchased a set of Yamaha Stage Customs. I noticed that some of the tension rod washers had some rust. I then got the seller to reduce the price by $50.00. I did not notice that one of the bass drum hoops was not a correct hoop. So it cost me an extra $45.00 to replace the hoop. Oh well...........

Notice in your picture the bracket used to mount the toms on the bass drum is covered by a plate.

So I guess the tom mounts are not included?

As previously stated, these are the older mid-level Club Customs from awhile back. The shells are birch/mahogany ( luan) with the longer high tension lug similar to the Recording Custom. These were nice drums, but Yamaha provided these in some questionable finishes and in my opinion hurt their sales.

The new Club Customs are made from Kapur and are absolutely marvellous sounding drums. They sound very similar to Gretsch USA Custom drums. If you don't believe me check out the youtube video where they are compared. I own a set of the recent Club Customs in black swirl lacquer and they have replaced my Legacy Classic as my main gigging kit. They ARE that good !

Correct, these have no relation to the newer club customs. Yamaha recycled the name as they are known to do. The interiors are stained like they did with the RC's. Although the lugs are stretch lugs, they are not the same lugs as RC's. They are the same lugs that were used on Stage Customs for a time. I bet they sound similar to the older Tour Customs, due to the same shell composition - nice and warm. I saw these on the GC site some time ago. If they are still for sale, they've been up for quite a while. The kick plate is one of those plates made by SoCalMike, member here who was selling them for a while. I don't know the price, but if you are thinking of buying them, I would say $500 give or take.

If they do sound similar to older tour customs, I'd get them. I've got 88 model tour customs. I also have, an 09 birch custom absolute kit. I can't hardly hear any difference in sound, between the two. I bought the tour customs new. They have always sounded top notch to me. They are Philippine mahogany with birch as the outside and inside plys.

Back