Girl drummers

It's just that girls are wired to create stuff differently than men: they can bear children. So they make the trivialities of life such as violence and art take a step back in their priorities.

That said, I believe they have higher potential. I've yet to hear a modern male drummer play with as much finesse, dynamic flair and rudimental control as Terry-Lynne Carrington.

Not surprised at all. There's also evidence in showing employment preferences for tall men over short men (no Bo, not in Disney) and good looking people over uglies.

Well, just to point it out that the only reason I got this gig is because you couldn't have taller people doing it. And it doesn't matter that I'm ugly - nobody sees me. But the other girls are pretty, for drummers....

But thanks for trying to make me feel better ;)

It's just that girls are wired to create stuff differently than men: they can bear children. So they make the trivialities of life such as violence and art take a step back in their priorities.

That said, I believe they have higher potential. I've yet to hear a modern male drummer play with as much finesse, dynamic flair and rudimental control as Terry-Lynne Carrington.

As much as I agree with your position about genetic predisposition speculation, I'd disagree that we can lump women together that art takes a step back. I've met examples of the contrary (perhaps I haven't met men that take art more seriously, though). Women can be just as passionate about their art (whatever that may be).

Phooey. Never liked girl drummers. Let's take an example, say, me. I routinely use my vixenlike supermodel looks to get my million-view tracks as demonstrated in my most recent vid, which didn't only get 1 million views - it got 19!!

Read 'em and weep baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qakvp6Ua0_I

Make that 20! I enjoyed that as well as the Lark Tongues in Aspic cover and will check out the others (at home since I am at work).

Thanks

So they make the trivialities of life such as violence and art take a step back in their priorities.

Bick, anecdotally I'd have to agree. I've met a lot more men who are passionate about the arts than women - no doubt a big reason why I'm hanging out with you guys online rather than female musicians (the few of us - Mary, Caz etc excepted).

You may have a point about those with more rounded priorities having the benefit of a clear third person standpoint. However, I'm hardly in a position to comment :)

As for TLC, she sure is one out of the box - but then again players like Steve Gadd and Roy Haynes can also play with that kind of dexterity and sensitivity.

Well, just to point it out that the only reason I got this gig is because you couldn't have taller people doing it. And it doesn't matter that I'm ugly - nobody sees me. But the other girls are pretty, for drummers....

But thanks for trying to make me feel better ;)

Ha! I felt that if I didn't mention you and Disney, then someone would pipe up about it. You actually have a nice face, far from ugly ... if you're fishing for compliments, consider this a bite :)

Make that 20! I enjoyed that as well as the Lark Tongues in Aspic cover and will check out the others (at home since I am at work).

Thanks Bruce. After 4 months that vid now has over 200 views - clearly due to my oestrogenic lure!

Bick, anecdotally I'd have to agree. I've met a lot more men who are passionate about the arts than women - no doubt a big reason why I'm hanging out with you guys online rather than female musicians (the few of us - Mary, Caz etc excepted).

You may have a point about those with more rounded priorities having the benefit of a clear third person standpoint. However, I'm hardly in a position to comment :)

As for TLC, she sure is one out of the box - but then again players like Steve Gadd and Roy Haynes can also play with that kind of dexterity and sensitivity.

Ha! I felt that if I didn't mention you and Disney, then someone would pipe up about it. You actually have a nice face, far from ugly ... if you're fishing for compliments, consider this a bite :)

Thanks Bruce. After 4 months that vid now has over 200 views - clearly due to my oestrogenic lure!

I am not fishing for compliments on my looks. That's not the important thing. Personally I think it's harder to be attractive - you're busy looking good as opposed to being busy playing well ;)

I am not fishing for compliments on my looks. That's not the important thing. Personally I think it's harder to be attractive - you're busy looking good as opposed to being busy playing well ;)

Playing well .is always the sexiest thing around...at least to me :). It's all about the attitude in the end

I love Emmanuelle Caplette's drumming :D
Hannah Ford and Caitlin Tomas are so pretty <3

Nia Lovelis from Cherri Bomb is a crazy pretty one, but as a drummer not so good, I think she is still learning

Meytal Cohen don't like her drumming so much, but she plays better than me L0L

But, my favourite girl drummer is Senri Kawaguchi :p

Here's some interesting read from Meytal Cohen's website:

You're probably here cause you wanna know who I am, where I come from and how is it that I am the way that I am. Well, no good answer for that one. but let's give it a try.

My name is Meytal Cohen. pretty common Israeli name that also just happens to sound like my favorite style of music. coincidence? I think not. :) so yes, I'm from Israel, I'm the youngest of 7. I have 4 sisters and 2 brothers and they are all lawyers and doctors. my dad died when I was in second grade, when a drunk driver crashed while he was standing on the sidewalk. my mom successfully raised us all by herself. I started playing drums at about 18 years old, despite the conventional, "you're making noise, you're wasting time, you're spending money, and this will never mount to anything" sorta thing. lol

At 18 years old I was drafted to the Israeli Defense Force, (it's mandatory) and I served for 2 years. a lot of you are asking about it, so I'll answer some common questions. can you shoot a gun? yes. can you kick my ass? most probably. did you like it? I did meet some of the best friends I'll ever have, but as a whole, I'm looking forward to world peace, and I love all living things.

At age 21 I moved to LA to pursue a drumming career. I attended the LA Music Academy. while in school I managed to break my back in a car accident. I broke three vertebras, and had to wear a back brace for a half a year. I returned to Israel for the healing process, and returned to LA within a year and graduated. After school, it wasn't easy, like it never really is for a musician trying to make a living at it. I did some small tours and some ridiculous gigs while I was practicing most of the time just by myself playing to my favorite tunes.

My first big youtube hit was the toxicity electric violin version, which was actually an audition tape to America's Got Talent. the show didn't think much of us but the video was a youtube hit. as a result I decided to continue uploading youtube videos, which I did. today I have over 50mil youtube views and over 275k facebook followers. I'm very lucky and blessed to have you reading this right now, I owe you big time, for caring sharing and supporting what i do. THANK YOU!

Many amazing things have happened and are planned to happen in the very near future. recordings, tours and clinics around the world. I'm also currently working on producing original music and I can't wait for you to check it out!! I'd love for you to come say hi on one of the upcoming tours or clinics, and if you can't make it, there's always twitter or facebook! :) Love you. Meytal

Was just wondering what you guys thought of all these girl drummers getting loads of views on youtube?

I have no thoughts regarding Youtube.

I do love Terri Lynne Carrington though. One of my all time favorite drummers. I like the notes more than the sex of the person playing them. Frankly, I do not care.

Lovely playing, hideously over processed drum sound though. It's an advert that's meant to feature the special sound of the heads FFS!
Somewhere in Drum Advert world is a recording or sample of this drum sound and no matter what drums, what heads, what ever, this is the sound they use. My same comment on Youtube. The drums are so overly processed I couldn't hear the heads she is selling. When will they ever learn?

Lovely playing, hideously over processed drum sound though. It's an advert that's meant to feature the special sound of the heads FFS!

they don't sound very processed to me at all

maybe some verb on the snares and a clicky kick ......but the toms are natural

but I don't hear any triggers or processing whatsoever ...just some mics in a very live room and a not so perfect mix

Last edited:
Sorry for my off topic comment Anthony, but really? You're kidding me - right? Those smaller toms especially, are EQ'd to hell & back.

She's a superb player though :) :) :)

sound like mic'd up drums in a live room to me

definitely EQd some.....but I wouldnt call it hideously over processed I dont think

Last edited:
Back