Ridiculous things you've worn during performances?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoUqSPQQuW4

After my dad showed me this video of the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Woodstock '94, this question automatically popped into my head.

I almost had to dress up like the blue man group for marching band two years ago (that was the theme). Thank god, they decided that it wasn't a good idea.

Any good stories?

Last edited:
Haha....dozens.....

Being in an original rock band in LA, you're bound to end up wearing something ridiculous at some point to get the record labels attention.

I was playing for a latin band many years ago, a big group with percussion, horns and singers, and we had a slot at a jazz festival going on before Airto Moriera. It was outside and hot as blazes. So I wore only some gym shorts. I was in the back on stage, virtually lost behind all the rest of the band and its gear, and anyway I was young and in shape enough to be able to pull that off.

Halfway through the gig I was glad I'd done it. It was bloody hot up there, even with a fan blowing on me.

In the 90's we shared a night with a Les Girls type act (a drag act for those not in the know)....they performed during our breaks. Being young 20 somethings with one too many of life's pleasures under our belts, the bassist, singer/rhythm guitarist and myself managed to persuade the "ladies" to let us wear some of their kit. For the last two sets we were found on stage, as large as life and twice as ugly, with pink or purple wigs, fishnet stockings, tight leather skirts and gaudy makeup.......initially there was a slight pause before going back onstage where we briefly contemplated the stupidity of it all, until one of the guys duely noted that Motely Crue had been doing it for years anyway. Armed with this fresh bout of confidence we hit the stage again.....a bunch of uglier looking "birds' you've never seen! We even threw in a few bars of "Dude, Looks Like A Lady" for good measure.

I play in a Steampunk themed 3 piece so just about every show we wear Steampunk outfits. It's not very Victorian but I use gigs as an excuse to wear these babies.

black-and-white-knee_high_converse.jpg

I also rock a top hat, vest and tie which is not unusual for me at all. Lately the girls have been getting more and more creative with their outfits so I'll have to step it up a little...

It's ironic but I don't think I've seen them less animated!

.....a bunch of uglier looking "birds' you've never seen! We even threw in a few bars of "Dude, Looks Like A Lady" for good measure.

Geez PFOG, you're on a roll ... you should meet our singer to compare notes after the post about "getting together" with Bill B, and now this :) ... okay, now slooowly remove one foot at a time so you don't dislodge a tooth ...

I'm pretty dull after all that - always been more grungy than dressup. When I was in my teens I wore a t-shirt saying "Get Really Stoned" in big letters and in smaller letters underneath it said "Drink Wet Cement". Definitely qualifies as ridiculous!

...did you see what Flea wore at Woodstock 5 years later? Yeah, I've actually done that...

Oh wow... I looked up Flea at Woodstock 99, and uh... I was expecting a costume or something. I won't spoil anything, but seriously you've done that? (that's hardcore man lol)

Geez PFOG, you're on a roll ... you should meet our singer to compare notes after the post about "getting together" with Bill B, and now this :) ... okay, now slooowly remove one foot at a time so you don't dislodge a tooth ...

From memory that was Andy.....all part of my cunning plan to inherit his "concept kit".

Yes, Pol. There was much assorted scallywag behaviour in that band. Conning drag queens into letting us wear their kit is one of only a few incidents that can be talked about on a public forum.

a few years ago we had a bluesrock/psychedelic-jamband thing going on.
for one gig (it became our last) we put on those monk-robes and we walked through the audience to get to the stage. while doing that, we sang some monk-ish latin (as in the life of brian) and smashed wooden boards against our heads.
our lead singer had elfish-ears out of plastic and a zylinder, the bassist painted a black stripe over his face and i had feather in my hair.
it was such a great gig :D

a few years ago we had a bluesrock/psychedelic-jamband thing going on.
for one gig (it became our last) we put on those monk-robes and we walked through the audience to get to the stage. while doing that, we sang some monk-ish latin (as in the life of brian) and smashed wooden boards against our heads.

Ahh... That is probably the greatest thing I've heard yet. I completely forgot about that part.

Deuuuus graciaaa Requieeem... *WHAP!*

Good stuff...

Once played with a multi media group called "Freedom's Way (chorus, orchestra, winds, rhythm section, video) and I wore a white tux with white patent leather shoes and a red frilly shirt (a la Tom Jones). Somewhere there is a picture unless I find it first and burn it.

Oh, and I was a 200 lb "Kit Kat Girl" in a university production of Cabaret. Yes, in drag. I think I've burned all of those pictures, however.

Yep...3,500 people at a festival with a giant screen. I was playing guitar...

I was in a band a couple of years ago that were known locally - well, one of the gimmicks was the lead guitarist stripping off mid-gig to do just that. He always left his hat on.

I've not done many performances whatsoever and most of the times i did i was wearing my school uniform (that's not some sort of ironc display either, it really WAS just school uniform).

Last edited:
My old band used to put on a Haloween extravaganza every year and the most memorable costume I wore was a full body, professional zombie outfit. Im talking mask, wig, clothes (worn over regular clothes), boots, make-up, the full kaboodle.
Needless to say the mask lasted about 2 songs, the gloves didnt even get to the first chorus of the first song.

Once played with a multi media group called "Freedom's Way (chorus, orchestra, winds, rhythm section, video) and I wore a white tux with white patent leather shoes and a red frilly shirt (a la Tom Jones). Somewhere there is a picture unless I find it first and burn it.

Oh, and I was a 200 lb "Kit Kat Girl" in a university production of Cabaret. Yes, in drag. I think I've burned all of those pictures, however.

Oh, what we do when we are young and foolish!

Last nights gig had about 150 people. It was about 100 degrees behind the kit and I forgot my fan.

Just a pair of shorts and a Krispy Kreme Donut Paper Hat

140.jpg

Slighty drifting from the thread alittle. I was at a football match with Southend United in the away surporters stand, it is customery to wear fancy dress, when in walked snowwhite, the 118118 men then a 40 year pld baby, then Rambo, then a lad dressed in full german SS gear, the long grey coat, the peaked hat, red arm band with swash sticker and a toy plastic Aoosie, how he got in dressed like that i will never know, but then 300 away fans let him know what they thought of him, in true football fashion.
Mug..

Did they accuse him of being a Millwall fan?

Back