John Bonham

Re: Bootleg John Bonham???

now that's better.

well its hard to authenticate this. the bass drum and tom sounds are not really dead on with the sound of john. even the snare timbre is a bit of a stretch at times. the figures being played are very much as i would imagine he would sound while stuffing around or warming up. hard to tell really. in all bootlegs of bonzo you hear him grunting and shouting while he drums... here there is nothing.
on the other hand if someone were trying to make a fake bootleg they would play the very obvious bonham trademarks...the foot triplets, phrases from zep songs. this one is more like something from the middle of an early moby dick.

all that said i am 80% sure this is what it says it is.

so thanks
j

Glad everyone can hear it now...I found this at some other site, can't remember where, and was wondering if it really was Bonham noodling around....

here's a few stats from the us sales figures:
Number Artist Sales 1 The Beatles 106,530,000 2 Garth Brooks 92,000,000 3 Led Zeppelin 83,620,000 4 Elvis Presley 77,280,000 5 Eagles 65,000,000 6 Billy Joel 63,250,000 7 Barbra Streisand 62,750,000 8 Elton John 61,620,000 9 Aerosmith 54,370,000 10 Pink Floyd 52,600,000

just look at which band occours over and over again in this list counting down album sales in all categories.
Millions Sold Title Artist's Name 28 Their Greatest Hits (vol. 1) The Eagles 26 Thriller Michael Jackson 23 The Wall Pink Floyd 22 Led Zeppelin IV Led Zeppelin 21 Greatest Hits VOL I & II Billy Joel 19 The Beatles The Beatles 19 Come On Over Shania Twain 19 Back In Black AC/DC 19 Rumours Fleetwood Mac 17 Boston Boston 17 The Bodyguard (soundtrack) Whitney Houston 16 The Beatles 1967 - 1970 The Beatles 16 Hotel California Eagles 16 Greatest Hits Elton John 16 Jagged Little Pill Alanis Morissette 16 No Fences Garth Brooks 16 Cracked Rear View Hootie & The Blowfish 15 Physical Graffiti Led Zeppelin 15 The Beatles 1962 - 1966 The Beatles 15 Saturday Night Fever The Bee Gees 15 Born In The U.S.A. Bruce Springsteen 15 Dark Side Of The Moon Pink Floyd 15 Appetite For Destruction Guns 'n Roses 15 Double Live Garth Brooks 14 Supernatural Santana 14 Bat Out Of Hell Meat Loaf 14 Ropin' The Wind Garth Brooks 14 Backstreet Boys Backstreet Boys 13 Frampton Comes Alive Peter Frampton 13 Greatest Hits Simon & Garfunkel 13 Purple Rain (soundtrack) Prince & The Revolution 13 Whitney Houston Whitney Houston 13 Baby One More Time Britney Spears 13 Millennium Backstreet Boys 13 Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live Bruce Springsteen 13 Metallica Metallica 13 Greatest Hits 1974 - 1978 Steve Miller Band 12 Abbey Road The Beatles 12 Led Zeppelin II Led Zeppelin 12 Hot Rocks The Rolling Stones 12 Slippery When Wet Bon Jovi 12 II Boyz II Men 12 Kenny Rogers Greatest Hits Kenny Rogers 12 Breathless Kenny G 12 Hysteria Def Leppard 12 The Woman In Me Shania Twain 12 No Jacket Required Phil Collins 12 Yourself Or Someone Like You Matchbox Twenty 12 Forrest Gump Soundtrack Various Artists 12 Wide Open Spaces Dixie Chicks 12 Ten Pearl Jam 11 Dirty Dancing Soundtrack Various Artists 11 James Taylor's Greatest Hits James Taylor 11 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band The Beatles 11 Crazysexycool TLC 11 Pieces Of You Jewel 11 Houses Of The Holy Led Zeppelin 11 Titanic Soundtrack Various Artists 11 No Strings Attached 'N Sync 11 Falling Into You Celine Dion 11 Eagles Greatest Hits Volume II Eagles 11 Devil Without A Cause Kid Rock 10 The Stranger Billy Joel 10 1984 Van Halen 10 Aerosmith's Greatest Hits Aerosmith 10 Best Of The Doobies The Doobie Brothers 10 Can't Slow Down Lionel Richie 10 Daydream Mariah Carey 10 Dookie Green Day 10 Eliminator ZZ Top 10 Faith George Michael 10 Fly Dixie Chicks 10 Greatest Hits Journey 10 Human Clay Creed 10 Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin

Doesnt sound like him at all. As nutha said no grunting from him, doesnt sound like his snare at all and none of his playing style is reflected in this. Its definatly a fake

NUTHA JASON said:
in all bootlegs of bonzo you hear him grunting and shouting while he drums... here there is nothing.

Jeez, and I thought I was the only one that grunted while drumming... phew. At least I haven't worked my way up to shouting.

-Michael

I'm not sure about this one, although the drums don't sound quite right I think like Nutha said it could be some kind of warm up, maybe before recordings or a practice session. Some parts do sound like his earlier playing.

Hmm, although its cool it doesnt have the bonzo feel to it, cant really explain why but I think its fake.

not even close to bonham.

I have to agree with the majority and say none of it sounds like Bonzo. the snare has too much of a jazz/fusion sound to it (probably a more modern tuning than from back then). The kick drum is barely audible, and when it is, it's nothing spectacular. The cymbal attacks are too weak. Overall the drummer just doesn't sound like he/she has the confidence of Bonham's playing and the timing sounds a bit off at times. To me it sounds like a marching snare drummer, just learning to play a full kit - not Bonzo.

Bonham tuning

I hope someone can help me hear. I watched the video clips on this web site of Olcheltree talking about Bonzo's tuning techniques. Well I am getting a great sound out of the 14" tom, 18" floor tom , snare, and the bass drum but the 16" floor tom sounds horrible. I have the bottom heads tuned higher then the top heads like he suggests, everything else sounds great but the floor tom just rings for days it seems like. In the video the floor tom just decays very quickly without any muffeling, that is the sound I am going for. Does anyone know for sure how much higher the bottom heads should be compared to the batter side?

Re: Bonham tuning

there is no solid answer. it's not even logical to have your heads at the same pressure through all of them when you press your finger in. you'll have an odd, uneven degression of pitch if you try to tune your heads all to the same "pressure."

just mess with it. you know what the sound needs to be. if it's ringing, it's resonating. the logical debugger would say that the resonant head is thus at fault for the excessive resonance.

but then again, what do logical debuggers know?

tune your resonant head down a bit, and then do whatever you'd like to your floor tom.

i personally dont think bonhams toms sounded good at all, but that's your set you're tuning.

I really like this type of tuning because sometimes I play in situations in which I am not miked, so having the bottom heads tuned way up helps with projection. I personally really like Bonham's total sound, it fits with my playing style very well.

I also love this type of tuning as it reduces excess resonance, throws the sound back up at you and is real punchy. It works great in a number of situations that I have been involved in with tuning drums, my own and other artists. If you got the 18" tom sounding good, to me that would be the toughest. Here's what I know from my experiences with this type of tuning.

When you say the 16" tom sounds horrible, what exactly do you mean? Too much sustain? Too floppy? Too high pitched? There is no exact answer to how much tighter the bottom head should be, but as a general rule, it usually works if the heads are in a relationship that is complimentary to one another. What I mean is, the bottom head usually works well on floor toms a third (4 notes) higher on the bottom than on the top. That's how Frankie Banali from Quiet Riot, who is a huge Bonham fan and has a vintage 1969 kit in the Bonham sizes, tunes his floor toms, with the top heads at a slightly higher tension than one would think. (Coated emperors over coated ambassadors)

Then, the drums are in tune with each other in that the two floor toms are in a complimentary relationship as well, (probably thirds or fourths) which eliminates weird overtones when you strike them together and avoids frequency cancellation, which enables each drum to project to it's fullest, making the floor toms sound huge.

It sounds to me like you're almost there, you just need to tweak the drums a bit. I would forget about the other drums for a second and start over with the 16" tom, getting it to sound good, and then try to compliment that drum with the others. You should make out OK. If you have any specific questions you can always email me and we can put our heads together to get those puppies sounding monstrous..

Thanks for responding to my question. When I say the 16" sounds horrible it just has to much sustain, the 14" and 18" have very short sustain. They sound very big and full, but the sustain fades very nicely. Sometimes I have to put my hand on the 16" top head to get it to stop ringing. I'm using Remo Coated Emperors on the top, Remo Coated Ambassadors on the bottom. In the Ocheltree video he says that the "bottom head on the 14" sounds like a snare getting tuned and hence the other drums go down from there." I have tried that and I think the 16" bottom head is too tight and I think that is why it has too much sustain. But I loosen it up and then it just sounds completely different then the other two toms. It sounds very flat and dead, it just doesn't fit with the very round sound I am getting out of the other two toms.

Sounds to me like you're in the ballpark, and just need to tweak that 16 into perfection. If it really never hits that mark however, a small strip of felt run underneath the batter head will probably fix it.

Back