someone school me on Roland V-drums

73Rogers

Decided to take the plunge on an E-set to practice quietly on, and the Rolands seem like the best quality kits.

I have the current catalog and see the different levels, but I'd like to buy used and maybe get a better quality kit for less $$.

That said, can someone fill me in on the older models and how they compare to the current lineup? I see TD-6, TD-7 and TD-10 used kits for sale - where do they slot in?
Or, are the new lower end models like the TD-4S better than what were considered higher end kits a few years ago?

When shopping used, is there anything I should specifically look for (and look out for)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I see TD-6, TD-7 and TD-10 used kits for sale - where do they slot in?
Or, are the new lower end models like the TD-4S better than what were considered higher end kits a few years ago?

Personally to me the newer kits even low end are better than the old ones cause of the simplicity and ease of understanding.

I bought a new TD9 over a TD12 which has been around for a couple of years and even tho it was a higher end model, it was a little confusing to figure out. IMO it basically had too much crap to deal with.

The TD9 is icon based, simple and easy for a dummy like me and it has a real big screen that you can actually see what your programing.

When shopping used, is there anything I should specifically look for (and look out for)?

I would never buy used cause you really don't know what was thrashed until you use it for a while and then its too late. Lets face it drummers bang things so why would you want someone elses junk.

If money is an issue buy the new low end TD4 or perhaps there is a disounted floor model of a TD9 at Sam Ash/Guitar Center and you will still be covered by a warranty.

Good luck!

I agree that the new Rolands are easier to use - but Roland take great care to introduce new models that don't surpass their older but higher number kits. The older TD12 is still a better module and kit than the latest TD9. The sound is better and you are able to use the better hihats VH11 and VH12. Also the download kits available for the TD12 and 20 are the best available. I totally disagree about the used statement. Ask to see the previous owner play his kit and this will indicate what sort of player they are.

A used TD12 is half the price of a new one and if you can afford it offers fantastic value.

The other thing to look for is the mesh kits. The feel and quietness is marginally better than all rubber.

Peace
Davo

Last edited:
Back