Drum Instruction DVD & Book Reviews

I have recently bought "Advanced Funk Studies" by Rick Latham, the 25th anniversary DVD. It is very inspirational and It has a lot on rudimental application. I suggest getting the book for it too, to use as reference. It is for all skill levels.
Beginner to advanced.
>

I got the expanded DVD and the book recently.

I think they are excellent for the precise purpose they were written for. They are not about basic rock or jazz. Nor are they straightforward groove primers like Tommy Igoe's excellent Groove Essentials concentrating on a ready made result you can use with further ado. The purpose is facility in playing often complex patterns using mixed single and double strokes plus bass drum. Which is what funk is about! The patterns really do enlarge your vocabulary. But that style of playing does not technically suit basic rock in my view so if that's what you want to play look elsewhere. Also it's not much about the triplet feel of jazz which is another planet. For that sort of pattern look to Jim Chapin and others.

The fact that the book and video have sold for so long I think emphasises their value. You can dip and learn a little hand and foot pattern now and then so it's not too hard work! They tend to stick with you I find so you absorb them subliminally. Watching him do it really adds to the subliminal so for the best you need the book and DVD. Not cheap it's true but worth it for the serious player with a long-term plan to master the damn things called drum kits which look a lot easier to play than they are. Which exercise from which page is given on the screen so you can watch book in hand working through examples from every section.

I particularly enjoyed Rick Latham's description as to how the tutorials came about. He regularly transcribed things leading players like Garibaldi, Purdie and Gadd were doing and used them in classes he taught at a time when the linear funk style was becoming popular. The class expected something new each time. It took off into a book.

I also enjoyed Ed Shaughnessy's remark about how few people at clinics say they practised simply playing groove. He said it's rare for someone to ring a drummer and say "I'd like you on the gig because I've heard you do great solos. I know your time's a little shaky but I'm really looking forward to the solo".

Hilarious!

I have recently bought "Advanced Funk Studies" by Rick Latham, the 25th anniversary DVD. It is very inspirational and It has a lot on rudimental application. I suggest getting the book for it too, to use as reference. It is for all skill levels.
Beginner to advanced.

Hey there,

Does anyone here have any experience with Mike Michalkow's Moeller Technique DVD:

http://www.moellertechnique.com/

I've owned Jim Chapin's Speed, Power, Control, Endurance video for several years, and it's still the best one I've seen for technique. It's helped me more than anything or anyone else. It seems as if I saw that it was supposed to be reissued on DVD with more content. Does anyone know when this is supposed to be out? I love that man.

I've not seen it but you make me want to!

Jim Chapin said somewhere that the reason he can play so well at his age is that he holds the sticks so loosely anyone could lift them out of his hands. I wish someone had told me that a few decades ago. Making the bounce work for you instead of hanging on like grim death in the fashion of people being rescued by firemen down a ladder.

alright, just registered.
i saw someone speak of the afro cuban for drumset by maria martinez, double disc.
i have that one but only a single disc and a note transcription pamplet with it.

what is on the second disc?

any reccomendeations for learning bossanova?
books, dvds?

Kristján.

"Bass Drum Techniques for today's drummer
Unburing the Beater" by Matt Ritter

This is a bass drum system that revolves around not buring the beater in the head.

Matt has an analysis of common Bass drum methods.
Talks about heel down, heel up, and how the system uses them in the unburing the beater system.
He covers basic drum setup, practice guldelines, and how to sit and stabilizing yourself at the kit.
Matts discusses pedal adjustments and becoming sensitive to your pedal.
He then goes into detail about single strokes, multiple strokes, fast multiples, doubles, consecutive doubles and "Bonham triplets".
Matt discusses using different parts of the foot, the slide,and gives practicle applications of the system.

The dvd has a FAQ section, and a section on troublshooting.
There is also some other bonus chapters about Matt.

I am a new drummer and this dvd has given me a great game plan to develope my bass drum technique, but I think it would help more than just begginers.
Very good dvd!

Can anyone tell me if this book is geared toward double-bass? Because I am not a double bass player, but really want a book that will help my single-bass technique.

Book: The Drummer's Complete Vocabulary as taught by Alan Dawson
Author: John Ramsay
Rating: # # # # #
Review: I started working on this stuff about 10 months ago and its fantastic. The rudimental ritual will give you a complete grasp of every important rudiment and a few more things that will help develop your chops. The various interpretation ideas for the Syncopation Book (by ted reed) will give you a lot of jazz vocabulary in the simplest way. All you have to do is follow the instructions and work hard on it. Great stuff every one interested in playing jazz needs to get. Alan taught people like Tony Williams, Billy Kilson, Terri Lyne Carrington, Kenwood Dennard and many more.

itemID(185)_001.jpg

NAME:
PROGRESSIVE STEPS TO SYNCOPATION FOR THE MODERN DRUMMER
by TED REED
STAR RATING:
#####
WORDED RATING:
The more into this book you delve the happier you get
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Beginner onwards (especially for the reading drummer!)
PUBLISHED BY:
Alfred publishing
DESCRIPTION:
The whole book is neatly hand written by a master drum teacher. It was literally the material he used for years of lessons. This book is an absolute must for guys learning to site read or brushing up on their reading skills. The first 32 pages are all about reading and are thorough and progressive. Syncopation only kicks in on page 33… but by then you feel you’ve already had your money’s worth.
Still ... Ted gives you loads of stuff to consider in the world of syncopation.

crosstic.jpg

NAME:
CROSS-STICKING STUDIES (EXERCISES FOR MOVING AROUND THE DRUMSET)

By RON SPAGNARDI
STAR RATING:
#####
WORDED RATING:

This book is simply written, progressive and FUN!
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate onwards

PUBLISHED BY:
Modern drummer publications
DESCRIPTION:

If you want to cross stick like Buddy Rich you have to learn how to organise your limbs. This progressive book is simple (only ever showing movement between the small tom, snare drum and floor tom) and progressive. It focuses on a single cross over movement at a time and puts it in various places. What I loved about this book is how soon results appear.

149579u.jpg

NAME:
1001 DRUM GROOVES

By Steve Mansfield
STAR RATING:
#####
WORDED RATING:

Very useful as a groove and beat resource and a site reading exercise to boot.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Beginner onwards

PUBLISHED BY:
Cherry lane music company
DESCRIPTION:

No jokes … there really are 1001 drum grooves in this book neatly organised by genre. Rock and funk (40 pages), blues and jazz (31 pages), ethnic (10 pages), afro-Cuban and Caribbean (20 pages). Sometimes the variation between one and another are slight though but all in all this book is a fantastic resource.

NAME:
Steve Jordan: The Groove is Here

By Steve Jordan
STAR RATING:
# # # # #
WORDED RATING:

Excellent for the grooving drummer. Tons of fun
TARGET AUDIENCE:
All

PUBLISHED BY:
Ritter Music
DESCRIPTION:

Steve Jordan plays many of his beats here. Goes through them in detail too. Also, interviews with other respected musicians (Kieth Richards, Drummer of The Band). Definitely one of my favorite DVD's of all time.

hi Kristján,

regarding bossa nova and samba, may I help you in your quest? I can suggest some CDs for you to listen to which'll give you some ideas, and possibly some exercises as well. Just let me know...

thanks,

Chuck Silverman

DVD Title: Bass Drum techniques for today's drummer, Unburying the Beater, by Matt Ritter

STAR RATING: # # # #

WORDED RATING:
Matt has excellent foot technique. I've yet to see a better description in media that describes this technique in detail. I studied with Rick Steed in CA years ago, and he called the technique "fulcrum foot".

TARGET AUDIENCE:
IMO, the technique is very useful for beginners and Pros alike, regardless of music style.

PUBLISHED BY:
http://www.unburyingthebeater.com/BassDrumDVD/OrderPage.html

DESCRIPTION:
Everything from setup to posture and shoes. Matt describes different applications of the method (Triplets, 8ths, 16ths etc) in a articulate manner. I'm not crazy about the pace of the DVD (it drags at some points), and his BD sound is very open and resonant, but the technique he teaches is a must for those wanting to learn. Will it teach you how to heel-toe to QTR=280? No, but it will teach you the proper way to play a Bass Drum....exactly what I was expecting. Thanks, Matt.

SRJ

I got Matt Ritters Video unburying the beter about 3 months ago, it is worth the money you will spend on it!!!!!!!!!!! Even with limited practice time i've noticed a great deal of change in my playing, my foot feels more in control!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Matt

I noticed that Paul Quin gave input in this thread on Pat Petrillo's "Hands, Grooves, & Fills". I got mine a month ago, and it has really helped me...Here's my review..

I've been playing for about 15 years, and have taken a lot of lessons. I had heard of Pat before, but then I saw his clips here on drummerworld and YouTube....off the chain!...I had to get "Hands, Grooves, & Fills"..it covers everything it says in the title and then some...

He's a monster drummer, smooth and fluid ,with a great feel and pocket, but he's an even better teacher!...Real personable....He gives you step by step lessons on the rudiments, and some excellent hand exercises, which is all about a relaxed rebound. His warmups are really helpful. He developed this Rudiment TAB System, which assigns a TAB symbol to each rudiment which then can be combined into great phrases..

The grooves section has over 50 Play Along tracks., included on the MP3 CD. Many groove based books have a lot of grooves, but they are very similar, one note added or removed. Not this book! Each one is VERY unique and no repeated patterns. Live band as well, playing in a different 'groove style" (Funk R&B, Rock, etc) Its an awesome feeling to jam with a great band. I especially like the "Nawlin' Funk", and "Gospel R&B tracks" !

The fills section is what I was looking forward to seeing. Now I know how to do some movements and phrasings that I have heard others do, but couldn't figure it out. It will take me a minute to work them out, but the DVD shows me some orchestrations and variations from the book. It really is one of the BEST DVD/Books I have in my collection, and I have ALL the Hudson stuff. Its a teaching DVD, and a performance DVD all in one. Quality was great...a couple minor issues with sync locking music to audio..not a big deal...

A DVD/Book/and MP3 CD with Play Alongs for $39.95. WELL Worth it!! 5 Stars!..really..no b.s...

Last edited:
NAME: Tiger Bill's Concepts of Tension Free Drumming, VOL I

STAR RATING: #####

WORDED RATING: Second only to hands-on instruction from Billy Gladstone, Joe Morello, Jojo Mayer...this is the 2nd best hand technique video I've seen to date....see below : )

TARGET AUDIENCE: Anyone desiring to learn Gladstone via Bill Meligari. "Building Monster Chops", originally found on his site is a text example of these techniques.

PUBLISHED BY: http://store.tigermix.com/tmtfdhtdvdvol1.html

DESCRIPTION: The "Space" theme, INTRO and choice of drum sounds from his Pintech kit are um, funny, but one can't deny the man has KILLER chops. I would have liked to hear more of his playing on a contemporary sounding kit. Tiger Bill goes into detail about tension caused by improper hand/wrist position, full/mid/low strokes, and transitions between. Very good instructor. I would have preferred a better overhead camera view (the one on the DVD was off center) but overall, this DVD (although a bit pricey) is excellent.

Last edited:
I thought i would give it an official review

NAME:
JOJO MAYER - SECRET WEAPONS FOR THE MODERN DRUMMER - A GUIDE TO HAND TECHNIQUE.
STAR RATING:
# # # # # #
WORDED RATING:
Hilarious and visually educating.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Any level
PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Ltd
DESCRIPTION:
If you don't know who Jojo is then I suggest checking him out here (http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/JOJO_Mayer.html). If you do know him, then you will also know that they man is a genius drum 'n bass wizard and a master of technique. He really has made studying technique his speciality and he has even refined some techniques to the point where he quite rightly names them after himself (eg: the mayer/moeller). His teaching explanations are excellent and clear and often voiced over slow motion, CGI visual demonstrations. Potential problems are highlighted and possible solutions are given, including many exercises to help build up your chops. There is a great, balanced amount of philosophy, particularly Jojo's practice quotes at the end of the second disc, which add depth to the whole work. Camera angles and close ups are very well chosen to help you learn. Add to that a great sense of humour, lovely snippets of Jojo drumming in and around New York and nearly perfect presentation throughout and you have, in my opinion, the finest instruction DVD available. This beats Thomas Lang'sincredible DVDs for educational value and is on par with Chad Smiths for charisma. Well done and thank-you Jojo.

I thought i would give it an official review

NAME:
JOJO MAYER - SECRET WEAPONS FOR THE MODERN DRUMMER - A GUIDE TO HAND TECHNIQUE.
STAR RATING:
# # # # # #
WORDED RATING:
Hilarious and visually educating.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Any level
PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Ltd
DESCRIPTION:
If you don't know who Jojo is then I suggest checking him out here (http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/JOJO_Mayer.html). If you do know him, then you will also know that they man is a genius drum 'n bass wizard and a master of technique. He really has made studying technique his speciality and he has even refined some techniques to the point where he quite rightly names them after himself (eg: the mayer/moeller). His teaching explanations are excellent and clear and often voiced over slow motion, CGI visual demonstrations. Potential problems are highlighted and possible solutions are given, including many exercises to help build up your chops. There is a great, balanced amount of philosophy, particularly Jojo's practice quotes at the end of the second disc, which add depth to the whole work. Camera angles and close ups are very well chosen to help you learn. Add to that a great sense of humour, lovely snippets of Jojo drumming in and around New York and nearly perfect presentation throughout and you have, in my opinion, the finest instruction DVD available. This beats Thomas Lang'sincredible DVDs for educational value and is on par with Chad Smiths for charisma. Well done and thank-you Jojo.

I received this video recently, and hadn't had a chance to view it......Simply the best hand technique instruction I've ever seen, including private lessons. The CG illustrations are priceless, and his sense of humor is hilarious.

BTW, did anyone notice the special thanks to Bernhard? That was nice.

SRJ

Last edited:
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about Contemporary Drumset Techniques by Rick Latham and Beyond Bop Drumming by John Riley.
thanks

Back