My Unix Bubinga Stave Kit - Chocolate Thunda!

Actually I DID ding the 12" tom already and put a nice 1/8"x1/8" nick just to the right of the "Unix" logo. I was messing around, moving the stand around trying to get it into position and smacked it on the hoop of the floor tom.

A little dab with a brown sharpie and a smear of the finger...poof...I can't even find it now!

Its all fun n games till somedrum gets hurt! J.K. I feel your pain though. : ( At least it was "fixable".

yah - but yours looks cooler, and we're all about the eye candy 'round here : )

That's right buddy...style before substance. :p

Here's a fairly uneventful clip of a groove I made up in 7/4.

It's just a simple scratch track I made for my guitarist - it's a tune we're working on and he's got a great melody to match it but has had a hard time staying in 7 so he wanted something simple to practice against.

I'll post more on this tune once we get it arranged...the real groove has some nice ghost notes, hi-hat work, and little nuances. This shows off the power of the Unix kick drum and how nice the Keplinger sounds w/ the kit.

Here's a transcription for anyone who might be curious.

Attachments

• 7-4_segment_scratch_track.mp3
    3.9 MB · Views: 303
  • 7-4_groove.gif
    7-4_groove.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
That's right buddy...style before substance. :p

Here's a fairly uneventful clip of a groove I made up in 7/4.

It's just a simple scratch track I made for my guitarist - it's a tune we're working on and he's got a great melody to match it but has had a hard time staying in 7 so he wanted something simple to practice against.

I'll post more on this tune once we get it arranged...the real groove has some nice ghost notes, hi-hat work, and little nuances. This shows off the power of the Unix kick drum and how nice the Keplinger sounds w/ the kit.

Here's a transcription for anyone who might be curious.

Hey Vin,

I am stealing this beat. Very cool.

My guitarist and I are looking to do a song in 7/8. This should fit perfectly.

Thanks for helping me write!

Don't worry, I will send you royalties!

Hey Vin,

I am stealing this beat. Very cool.

My guitarist and I are looking to do a song in 7/8. This should fit perfectly.

Thanks for helping me write!

Don't worry, I will send you royalties!

I'll look for the check in the mail.

I have one in 7/8 that's actually pretty cool, if you'd like me to post that one too? I can do that tonight...I'll put up a transcription as well.

I'll look for the check in the mail.

I have one in 7/8 that's actually pretty cool, if you'd like me to post that one too? I can do that tonight...I'll put up a transcription as well.

Absolutely!!!

I would love to see / hear it.

Thank you!

How much longer until your snare arrives?

Wow Vin,

I just caught on today that you reposted this link since Frank put yours out to the world. Now that you do have them home and set up they look KILLER...that is the sweetest eye candy seen in a long time...will have to listen to the sounds later. Congrats again on making the jump and thanks for sharing.

JIM

Absolutely!!!

I would love to see / hear it.

Thank you!

How much longer until your snare arrives?

Here's a rough one where I was experimenting with hi-hat openings...I'll post a better one w/ a transcription later on. You'll get the idea once you find the "1" - the crappy mp3 editor I have on my pc here at work won't let me get precise enough to cut it to start on 1.

This one was done w/ the Jojo hats and the Pork Pie Brass Patina snare...you'll definitely hear the difference.

Frank actually called me today, I should have the snare anytime...and who knows...maybe a special surprise, too. ;)

Attachments

• 7-8_groovulous_groove.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 287
Here's a rough one where I was experimenting with hi-hat openings...I'll post a better one w/ a transcription later on. You'll get the idea once you find the "1" - the crappy mp3 editor I have on my pc here at work won't let me get precise enough to cut it to start on 1.

This one was done w/ the Jojo hats and the Pork Pie Brass Patina snare...you'll definitely hear the difference.

Frank actually called me today, I should have the snare anytime...and who knows...maybe a special surprise, too. ;)

That was a great groove!

I will be stealing that one too!!!!!!

Those Jojo hats are very unique sounding. Snare sounded really good!

Can't wait to hear the new snare(s)!

Mike

Yeah!
Sadly the snare was done, but like I was almost sure, the qucik release are perfect for tom and bass drum, but not as good for snare. The tension is too hard on any single point lugs actually.

From now on any Unix snare will be equiped with tube or bride lugs. I will work on a quick release double end soon... but... I won't talk about the surprise, as I promis Vin that I will only send the pics to him and he will judge if he will post it or not :)

Thanks Mikey - I didn't have time to fight w/ Finale tonight so I'll post a trans. for it another time.

Frank - I can't wait to see the wicked creation you described to me over the phone! I thought I'd mention that your voice reminds me of Jojo Mayer only, like a true Canadian, you throw in "eh" every now and then. Ha!

Yeah!
Sadly the snare was done, but like I was almost sure, the qucik release are perfect for tom and bass drum, but not as good for snare. The tension is too hard on any single point lugs actually.

From now on any Unix snare will be equiped with tube or bride lugs. I will work on a quick release double end soon... but... I won't talk about the surprise, as I promis Vin that I will only send the pics to him and he will judge if he will post it or not :)

Agaast !!! This has all the makings of a great mini-series. You've got me, I'm hooked, I can't wait for the next episode !!! :)

Got some new shots, just for fun. DMC inspired me to add my 10" tom back in and reduce my hardware as much as possible, so here's the result. The left DW double tom stand holds the 10" tom, the 17" crash, and the 10" splash (as usual). The right stand holds the 12" tom, the 21" ride, the 20" china (with 7" alu-bell on top), and my cowbell.

You can see that I got new claws as well. I nabbed some from drumfoundry, thanks to a pal on here pointing them out to me.

I also got some snare pics from Frank last week, so I'll have some new goodies to show you soon (hopefully!)

Attachments

• DSC06158.jpg
    DSC06158.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 1,326
  • DSC06150.jpg
    DSC06150.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 629
  • DSC06151.jpg
    DSC06151.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 592
  • DSC06152.jpg
    DSC06152.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 555
I like the added "presence" the kit itself has now. Less clutter = more shell visible. That's also why I like racks, less "stuff" standing in front of the kit.

I kind of miss the blue weights as kick spurs... you were on to something there ;)

Still waiting to know DMC impression, if Unix is worth something or just simply ordinary?...
Vin, can I use those pics to put on my website, you do take amazing pics and the kit look so gourgous with your photos...

Got some new shots, just for fun. DMC inspired me to add my 10" tom back in and reduce my hardware as much as possible, so here's the result. The left DW double tom stand holds the 10" tom, the 17" crash, and the 10" splash (as usual). The right stand holds the 12" tom, the 21" ride, the 20" china (with 7" alu-bell on top), and my cowbell.

You can see that I got new claws as well. I nabbed some from drumfoundry, thanks to a pal on here pointing them out to me.

I also got some snare pics from Frank last week, so I'll have some new goodies to show you soon (hopefully!)

DANG you! You added your third tom AFTER I left Friday night! Oh well, now I have a reason to go back and play at your pad. I should add that we were playing fairly late into the evening, but since Zambizzi has this really well-done drum room, no one heard us.

Unix, I am honored to play behind one of your sets. I was truly blown away playing behind Zambizzi's kit Friday. When I wasn't playing it, I was fondling it. It is a true work of art, an instrument of sonic and visual beauty. The projection, presence, richness and character of sound are every bit as stunning as solid-shell drums.

Still waiting to know DMC impression, if Unix is worth something or just simply ordinary?...
Vin, can I use those pics to put on my website, you do take amazing pics and the kit look so gourgous with your photos...

I think he liked 'em! ;) I wish I could play with the kind of power he does...he was pulling sounds out of those drums I didn't even know they could produce!

Of course you can use the photos. I was actually going to take some today with the window open so there is some natural sunlight hitting them. I might hang sheets or something behind them so there is a nice, plain-white background. I'll shoot them over to you if I do.

I think he liked 'em! ;) I wish I could play with the kind of power he does...he was pulling sounds out of those drums I didn't even know they could produce!

Of course you can use the photos. I was actually going to take some today with the window open so there is some natural sunlight hitting them. I might hang sheets or something behind them so there is a nice, plain-white background. I'll shoot them over to you if I do.

Please I would love that.
DMC, beleive me the honor is all mine. I love so much building drums, and I never get use to the fact people like them.

DANG you! You added your third tom AFTER I left Friday night! Oh well, now I have a reason to go back and play at your pad. I should add that we were playing fairly late into the evening, but since Zambizzi has this really well-done drum room, no one heard us.

Unix, I am honored to play behind one of your sets. I was truly blown away playing behind Zambizzi's kit Friday. When I wasn't playing it, I was fondling it. It is a true work of art, an instrument of sonic and visual beauty. The projection, presence, richness and character of sound are every bit as stunning as solid-shell drums.

OK Guys, Please tell me there is sound bytes ??? and maybe pictures of both sets next to each other? Huh huh huh ???? :)

I like the new setup. It looks more balanced and less cluttered. How does feel?

Back