Mapex Falcon question

steverok

Silver Member
Hi everyone. The very cool drum guy at my local shop gave me a Mapex Falcon single pedal to take home and try, giving me the option to buy it. One thing that bothers me is the beater does not line up with the clamp that fastens the pedal onto the hoop. As a result, the beater does not strike the center of the bass drum head. It's off center by an inch or so. Is this an issue ? I use different pedals, and wonder if this is not good to have different pedals striking the head in different spots. Thanks for your input !

It's probably no accident. Dead centre is a bit of a dead spot. You get more of a note from off centre hits.

Hi everyone. The very cool drum guy at my local shop gave me a Mapex Falcon single pedal to take home and try, giving me the option to buy it. One thing that bothers me is the beater does not line up with the clamp that fastens the pedal onto the hoop. As a result, the beater does not strike the center of the bass drum head. It's off center by an inch or so. Is this an issue ? I use different pedals, and wonder if this is not good to have different pedals striking the head in different spots. Thanks for your input !

How big is your bass drum? Depending on the size, it may not be a huge deal. I use and 18, so I use a riser to hit closer in the center (I have the falcon and it is great). If you're playing a 22 and really laying into it, it's probably not a huge deal.

My bass drums are all 22". And yes, I always lay into it. I've never owned a fancy pedal before. It's funny that it has all these options that I'll probably never even try. It seems to be set up for me right out of the box. Double-bursts (or whatever you call them) have never been so easy. All double beats seem to be effortless with plenty of punch and power. I guess I'll keep the thing.

It has never been an issue for me. Like Dre25 said, dead center is a dead spot. I have used my Falcons for a few years now and love it. It feels great and has many adjustments for tuning to your liking.

I have had my Falcon for a couple of months now, and it actually, like has already been noted, pulls a fuller sound out of my 22" being a bit off-center.

I am still nerding-out with the adjustments in the pedal and beater, but it is super-comfortable and I love it!

Mapex engineered it this way, in part, so that on the double pedals, both beaters would strike eqidistant from the center of the head and thus the same tone would be heard. On the single pedal, the other responses were dead on, being the sweet spot is NOT dead in the middle of the head.

Back