dwforever

Lets tell eachother what cymbals we have and how much we love each one!!!!

-Zildjian 17" K hybrid crash (just got this cymbal; we have taken a real shine to eachother)

-Zildjian 22" A custom Sweet Ride (In love with this cymbal..it cost me a few organs, my dog, and my wife, but it was oh so worth it)

-Miscellaneous 18" crash (had this cymbal for years and years, it doesnt seem to have a brand and it is filthy, but the sound is not bad at all...me and this old ruffler have seen eachother through things)

-Zildjian A custom 13" Hats (me and these cymbals are close friends....before I had these corkers, I had the most awful hi-hat you could think of, so coming onto these zildjians was like having Jesus pull you out of hell and into heaven)

-Zildjian 16" ZHT China (Not bad, not bad at all....certainly nothing special, but it does the job...thinking of getting a Wuhan)

And finally, my dream cymbal:
21" Zildjian K Dark Complex Ride

btw, the dream cymbal is the one I want, not one that I have

Last edited by a moderator:
....-Zildjian 22" A custom Sweet Ride (In love with this cymbal..it cost me a few organs, my dog, and my wife, but it was oh so worth it)....

Better check this one again. Zildjian makes an A series 21" Sweet Ride. It's a great cymbal.

Haven't heard of an A Custom 22" Sweet Ride though.

I have a number of cymbals that I love dearly. But one that I will never part with is my Zildjian 17" A Custom Crash. It's so quick and warm, yet, it is so musical and projects perfectly.

My beloved cymbal setup that I treat with kid gloves:

Paiste 2oo2 14" Sound Edge Hi Hats
Paiste 2oo2 17" Crash
Paiste 2oo2 18" Crash
Zildjian A 21" Sweet Ride.

Part of the collection, and I love them all equally.

My Sabians:

21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride - got it for a great price, great sound
18" AAX Studio Crash - opens well at low volumes, also can get quite loud
17" AA Thin Crash - the best crash I have ever played, seems to be a bit thicker than most "thin" crashes
14" XS20 Medium Hats - great tone and response

I also have a Rancan (LP) 18" China - dark and trashy

Peace and goodwill.

Meinl 14 inch hats: they are OK but cheap, I will replace them next year hopefully.

Sabian 16 inch crash: don't know what kind it is, but it needs to go. It sounds alright but is in bad shape.

Zildjian 18 inch china: cracked up but I will use it until I get something new.

Zildjian a sweet ride: the one cymbal that isn't going in the trash within two years

Hmmm... Well on my main set I have:
14" paiste 2002 wild hats (Once I broke them in they sound great)
18"paiste alpha crash (90's)
20" meinl classics custom ride (Not my favorite as a ride,use it mostly as a crash)
broken agazarian splash underneath a 12" wuhan china in a stack(Made use of something broken and something I never use)
Zildjian ZHT 18" china
Zildjian (Most likely 60's) vintage 24" ride (Just got this beauty)
Dream vintage bliss 22" crash/ride(drool)
On my other kit(I know, Im spoiled) I have all sabian xs20's

I've had many pies come and go through the years, but the ones I have now I don't think I'll part with easily.

• Meinl Dark Hats 14" - Bought on a whim, thought I'd try a "dark" sound and haven't looked back. Sounded funky to me at first but now fit in with almost everything I do.
  • Meinl Byzance Thin Crash 15" - My first ever cymbal purchase. It was the best day of my cymbal life when I got this because it has never left my collection and it's one of those pies you know has a special quality to it, and probably another one won't sound the same. You hear audible colors in your head when it's hit. It opens up like a sea of glass, it's like a shimmering wash of beauty.
  • Meinl Byzance Thin Crash 16" - Realized I really loved the thin crashes when the other heavier Byzance pies I had gotten weren't cutting it. I went through tons of cymbals before I finally realized I just needed to find a mate for my 15". I even found one with the old logo to match... it was one of those special scores. Sounds similar to the 15 but not as washy and more "contemporary". A beautiful crash. Meinl Byzance for life!
  • Meinl Dark Splash 8" - Thought I'd buy it since nobody was bidding on it (small spider crack in hole) and snagged it for $35. A very unique splash that just makes you go YEAH!! every time you use it for an accent. Lots of 'tude.
  • Sabian AA Splash 8" - A good splash with a beautiful authorative crash. Bought it for $20 at a music store because it had "spider cracks" in
    the hole. They haven't spread and I couldn't be happier! Other AA 8" have not sounded the same to me.
  • Sabian AA Metal-X Ride 21" - My first ride and still my main one. Picked it by ear in the store and has a classy warm ping on the bow, and a cutting bright rock/metal bell. It was perfect and can be used for almost any genre.
  • Zildjian K Session Crash 16" - A cracked cymbal I bought for $50 and I use it as a trash. It sounds good it just has a 2 second decay time. Good for quiet coffee house gigs.
  • Zildjian K Crash Ride 20" - Got it on the cheap but am growing weary of it. I am planning on selling it for a Byzance Dark Ride. Anyone interested? :)
  • Meinl MB20 Rock China 18" - Another cracked cymbal score that sounds fantastic. Chinas have too much resonance and it's not a good resonance. So when the china is cracked it is not quite as 'in your face'. So cracked chinas are cheap, and so was this one, and it's a top shelf cymbal. Perfect for me, don't even want another china!

I’ve got a Sabian prototype 17 inch hand hammered crash that’s amazing. Mark Love from Sabian told me what made it different when I bought it a couple of years ago from the prototype tour. Can’t recall completely, but I think it’s got HHX-style lathing and an AA profile. Or something. Whatever it is, it immediately became by fave crash. Works great in everything from heavy rock to (not-too-light) jazz.

I have a *coughcough*healthy*coughcough* collection, mostly Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

I have to say that my '50-'70s Zildians mostly sound great, and it's a sound that even they have been chasing for a while. I love my '80s+ Sabians, and within the Paistes, I like the 2002s. Fortunately, Sabian captured that vibe with their APX series, so I don't have to 'stray' when I want that glassy, sizzly sound. :)

Bermuda

Hi hats,
14" 60's new beat large stamp, heavy bottom, light top, Zildjian.
14" 70's new beat small stamp, heavy bottom, light top, Zildian
10" 40's Zilco, the two are almost the same weight, they have a smaller hole and I can only use certain clutches. These are the only non-Zildjians I have in my collection. As strange as it may seem, when I was playing very low volumes, the other hi-hats were loud, I could control the volume to the bass drum and the snares and cymbals, but I had a problem with keeping down the volume of the hats with my foot. Ginger Baker calls his 8" cymbals a joke effect, I feel these small hats have a little of that effect too.

Crashes,
18" 1960's Zildjian, Wow this sounds good, I put it next to my ride and flick my right hand over to it for accenting, while riding. It really takes the energy and uses it very efficiently.
18" 2009 Zildjian K, This cymbal is thin and light and very reactive.
16" 1970's Zildjian, I like having this higher pitch crash to accent with, and it cuts through the music easily.
16" 1950's Zildjian, this has a little lower tone then the 70's crash.

Rides,
24" 1970's Zildjian This is a fun ride, I can crash it and ride it, it has a nice sound when you only want to have one cymbal at the gig.
22" 1960's Zildjian This is a great sounding ride, great for all kinds of sounds. It is however a bit loud.
18" 1960's Zildjian, This is a good ride for lower volumes, with my 10" hats.
20" 2009 Zildjian K, I would like to take off the coating on this cymbal, I think the coating is keeping the cymbal from reaching its full potential.

I do not use all these cymbals at the same time. Because I live in two different cities, I need to cymbals and drums whereever I am.

Last edited:
I love, Love, LOVE my UFIP Bionic Ride. The bell is unreal. It's not just a big sound, it's that it's so incredibly musical.

I hate my Sabian AA Regular hats. I'm just so sick of their sound I am putting them up for sale. I just can't stand playing them anymore. For awhile I was using a 70's Zildjian 14" medium thin crash at 836 grams for the top. It made a huge difference and a much more musical experience. Someone sold me a Zildjian heavy bottom to go with it for cheap, so I am going to use that for awhile until I figure out what I really want.

I like my 17" UFIP Bionic crash (black label)
. I wasn't sure about this one at first. It's really a little heavier than what I really want to play for crashes. It's thinner than a Z Custom/Z3 Medium Crash by almost 95g, but still thicker than the new blue label Bionics, which I think are quite musical in a loud setting. However, the black label Bionic sounds awesome on recording playback. It's has a real punch, without too much definite pitch overtones to it. It's just does its job and drops out of the way in the mix.

Back