Death metal getting boring?

S

saturnrules

Anyone else out there get to a point where death metal, speed metal, screamcore, nu metal, and such starts to get old? I can't even listen to stuff I was heavily into anymore. I guess I got to the point where I just didn't 'get it'. It is highly predictable and just gets boring. Then you have bands like meshuggah and dream theater that require a calculator to get in to. They should pass out calculators at their gigs so you know what they are doing. So many notes, so little emotion sometimes. Metal isn't the only genre that can be that way, I get it.

I shake my head at how much I was into it. There is so much better music out there that I was missing out on.

You really need to broaden your horizons man, I have always been open minded about music but really listened to rock and metal mostly, like 99.9 % of the time. Now that I am getting older I really don't want to unwind at the end of a hard day with Slayer anymore and find myself listening to Yanni instead. Don't get me wrong I still like metal and HEAVY music but I just don't want to listen to it all the time.

Wow OP got banned, guess I will not be doing what he did.

Last edited:
Agreed. My iPod and CD collection has almost every genre, but metal and hip hop/rap. Put the iPod on shuffle and play to whatever happens to to play.

Personally, I love those cookie monster vocals!

Bermuda

Wow OP got banned,

What is it with Saturns and their ability to invoke the ban hammer? It's becoming a bloody trend.
I reckon answers to the next "should I buy this Saturn kit?" thread should include a warning that it doesn't bode well for Drummerworld longevity.

Metal? Like everything else.....depends what it is. Some of it is tired, predictable and cliched, some of it isn't. I feel the same way about pretty much everything else too. However, I will never stop getting a giggle out of the endless and ever-growing list of sub-genres.......at least players and fans alike have a sense of humour.

I was always wondering: What _ARE_ the Saturn rules?
Where are they written down? What do they mean? Who wrote them? And why? Any help, info?

Metal today for young people is like heavy rock and (the original) heavy metal was for my generation in the 70s - the meanest, nastiest music available (apart from free jazz and experimental :). I branched out from heavy rock too. Pretty common musical development from what I've seen. Since middle age the really heavy stuff has started feeling a bit like an assault.

Where are they written down? What do they mean? Who wrote them? And why? Any help, info?

Rule 1: It don't mean a thing if it ain't got those rings :)

Saturn Rules are very close to Jupiter Rules and the Rules of Uranus

Anyone else out there get to a point where death metal, speed metal, screamcore, nu metal, and such starts to get old?
Yeah, about 1988....................................................................​

Back