Floor tom isolation mounting

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey everybody,

So I bought a kit that will arrive with a 16x15 (deep) suspended floor tom. I was planning on having it drilled with authentic parts and using authentic floor tom legs, but am a little loathe to have the drum drilled.

Then it dawned on me that isolation mounts exist for floor toms! I can install legs and not drill the drum!

On my quest to find this part I came across this:

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_105_77&products_id=2266

Does anyone here have any experience with these floor tom mounts? Good experience? Bad experience? There are alot of threads on this subject, but most seem to want to hang a 16" or 18" tom for suspension. I want to go the other way and turn it into a proper floor tom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I won't have to drill this drum!

Much cheaper, and very effective:

Pearl R-40 Air Suspension Feet

41w1FBfmj8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Best $20 I ever spent on the kit. (I have two floors.) Will make you forget all about suspension mounts.

+1 on the Pearl feet, I use them on all of my floor toms.

Just drill the drum, no shame having a floor tom with legs. Why have the extra size & weight with the RIMS style basket?

Bermuda

Hey everybody,

So I bought a kit that will arrive with a 16x15 (deep) suspended floor tom. I was planning on having it drilled with authentic parts and using authentic floor tom legs, but am a little loathe to have the drum drilled.

Then it dawned on me that isolation mounts exist for floor toms! I can install legs and not drill the drum!

On my quest to find this part I came across this:

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_105_77&products_id=2266

Does anyone here have any experience with these floor tom mounts? Good experience? Bad experience? There are alot of threads on this subject, but most seem to want to hang a 16" or 18" tom for suspension. I want to go the other way and turn it into a proper floor tom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I won't have to drill this drum!

If you don't want to drill this is the way. I'm not a fan of drilling toms for fl tom legs b/c my experience has been 'tastes change'... you some day may be OK with a hanging fl tom again, even actually need it.

The WORLDMAX looks smarter. With the GAUGER you'll need to buy leg brackets and legs, an added cost.

The WORLDMAX also has a thinner profile when its all $aid and done, a big plus.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 6,460
If you don't want to drill this is the way. I'm not a fan of drilling toms for fl tom legs b/c my experience has been 'tastes change'... you some day may be OK with a hanging fl tom again, even actually need it.

The WORLDMAX looks smarter. With the GAUGER you'll need to buy leg brackets and legs, an added cost.

The WORLDMAX also has a thinner profile when its all $aid and done, a big plus.

Thanks Les, I am at work and just googledfloor tom suspension legs while at lunch and grabbed the first link as an example so others could see what he was talking about. The worldmax does look better than the gauger

Thanks everybody - I even got a response from Bermuda! Thank you sir!

Yeah, the drum I have is not currently drilled.

Well, money-wise, it will cost more to get the Tama mounts and legs, plus I'd have to order them in black nickel, which will take more time, and cost me about $100 for the whole thing, and then have Pro Drum drill it for me. The cradle only cost me $60, so I'm gonna try that first. If it doesn't work, I can always return it.

i dunno if they would work for tama floor toms but i see mapex iso mounts (3 mounts and 3 legs) on ebay frequently for around $50. but my initial guess would be the lug holes wouldn't match up...

Hmm. It's an 8-lug floor tom, and the cradle is built for 8-lug floor toms....Is Tama cranking out 9-lug drums?

I ordered one today - I'll keep ya' posted. If it doesn't work, then I go the leg route. I have no problem with drilled floor tom mounts, just that this drum didn't come with any to begin with, so this is the cheapest alternative to start with.

Most all 16's are 8 lug, so it will most likely fit.

Watch out if you have LUDWIGS made in China though, some 14's have 6 lugs... way to go LUDWIG!

Last edited:
Ive ordered the worldmax dss floor tom mount, should receive it Monday, so Ill give you the skinny once Ive set it up.

am actually qhuite excited.

mounting a 14" gretsch rack tom rebuild and didnt wanna drill into it.

i dunno if they would work for tama floor toms but i see mapex iso mounts (3 mounts and 3 legs) on ebay frequently for around $50. but my initial guess would be the lug holes wouldn't match up...

do you have any experience with this kind of mounting system? , I was wondering which would have more sustain the worldmax dss floor tom mount or the mapex iso mounts

The worldmax dss arrived yesterday. Very impressed, really sturdy, and can't wait to finish the drum to use it, really easy to set up, and I reckon it looks lush.

My advice, get one.

The worldmax dss arrived yesterday. Very impressed, really sturdy, and can't wait to finish the drum to use it, really easy to set up, and I reckon it looks lush.

My advice, get one.

And the final cost to your door was?

Some good pics would be nice, show the brackets and legs... stuff you can't see worth a darn on the web.

Some good pics would be nice, show the brackets and legs... stuff you can't see worth a darn on the web.

Mine arrives today along with the drums. I paid $70 (total with shipping, no tax) for the whole thing including legs to fit an 8-lug 16" floor tom.

I looked up the Tama parts I would need to mount legs on the drum. The mounts, which are the same as the tom mounts, are $25 each, and a set of Tama legs costs about $50. Since I have that dark nickle finish for the hardware, no one stocks these so it would be a special order that I'd have to wait even longer for. Once I get it set-up later today, I'll post some pictures.

cost to my door was £56.

I have taken some pics, but cant put them on here thru the iphone (at least I couldnt last night)

Ill get em on tonight.

Hopefully those will still fit in your case or bag without going up one size.
Nice price on that cradle with shipping and all.

But try the Pearl Suspension feet anyway if you get a chance--even with the cradle.

I have them on all my floor toms too, and they're great.

OK. Got the drums today and the floor tom mount. So after doing some cleaning and such, here's a couple of pictures of this thing mounted on the drum. It looks good and does what they say it will.

Unfortunately, after it's installed, I don't think it'll fit into a 16" floor tom case now. Lucky for me, I already have an old 18" case lying around. The cradle that encircles the drum does make it bigger.

Not bad considering it was only $70 with shipping!

Attachments

• floor-tom.jpg
    floor-tom.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 21,142
  • leg-closer.jpg
    leg-closer.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 7,716
Back