Is this what dents do?

I'd say 95-98. And that is tight!!! The reso head would be about the same. Maybe a bit tighter (87-92) depending on your taste.

Is that even possible? I can only tighten the batter side to 90 before my fear of breaking the drumhead makes me stop (I actually already had one break before). I can't even get past 85 on the reso side for the same reason.

Is that even possible? I can only tighten the batter side to 90 before my fear of breaking the drumhead makes me stop (I actually already had one break before). I can't even get past 85 on the reso side for the same reason.

It's possible, but it depends on the head. I don't think I'd tune an Ambassador up that tight, but a PS3 is stronger so its more able to take the pressure. However I must apologize again, because if you're going for the snare sound in that video, I think the batter on the snare is gonna be around 90-93. Just to be sure I wasn't telling a lie, I tuned my snare with the dial, and the top was at 93. So if you use the combo of 90-95 up top, and 80-85 down below, that should be in the neighborhood of what you're looking for. What size and kind of snare are you using by the way?

I've found that a new head is easier to get that tight (specifically a reso.) The key though is to tighten both heads up evenly, using a star pattern (there are videos of this on you tube. I think Bob Gatzen's are the best.) This will lessen the likelihood of breaking a head. But I'm not gonna lie it's possible, that's freakin tight lol. So if you feel like you're gonna break a head, stop!!!

I finger tighten, then go around the drum twice with half turns. Then start using the star pattern with half turns, using the drum dial. Too much tension on one lug is a quick way to break a head, not to mention swivel nuts (the things the tension rods screw into.)

It's possible, but it depends on the head. I don't think I'd tune an Ambassador up that tight, but a PS3 is stronger so its more able to take the pressure. However I must apologize again, because if you're going for the snare sound in that video, I think the batter on the snare is gonna be around 90-93. Just to be sure I wasn't telling a lie, I tuned my snare with the dial, and the top was at 93. So if you use the combo of 90-95 up top, and 80-85 down below, that should be in the neighborhood of what you're looking for. What size and kind of snare are you using by the way?

As rediculous as it may sound... My snare drum is the standard "wooden" snare drum that came with the drum set (14x5.5).
BTW, how can you tell if you got a dead reso side head? (besides by the weird sound) Because I think somethings up with one of the heads on my floor tom.

As rediculous as it may sound... My snare drum is the standard "wooden" snare drum that came with the drum set (14x5.5).
BTW, how can you tell if you got a dead reso side head? (besides by the weird sound) Because I think somethings up with one of the heads on my floor tom.

That doesn't sound ridiculous at all! You don't need to have a 600 dollar snare drum to get a good sound.

As far as how to tell if you have a dead reso, it's just a sound quality thing. A dead reso will sound, well, dead. It will sound very mid-range-y, and the low end will be almost non-existent. How long have the reso head's been on there? If it's been a year or longer, it's a safe bet to get new reso's when you can, especially if they are the stock heads. I've found that the reso on the snare will wear out quicker, because it's thinner.

As far as the floor tom goes, there are a lot of things that could be making it weird. Are there severe dents in either one of the heads? That would definitely cause a weird sound.

That doesn't sound ridiculous at all! You don't need to have a 600 dollar snare drum to get a good sound.

As far as how to tell if you have a dead reso, it's just a sound quality thing. A dead reso will sound, well, dead. It will sound very mid-range-y, and the low end will be almost non-existent. How long have the reso head's been on there? If it's been a year or longer, it's a safe bet to get new reso's when you can, especially if they are the stock heads. I've found that the reso on the snare will wear out quicker, because it's thinner.

As far as the floor tom goes, there are a lot of things that could be making it weird. Are there severe dents in either one of the heads? That would definitely cause a weird sound.

These heads are brand spankin' new. I just got them today. I hit it and less sound comes out then what you think would come out of a floor tom, also, the sustain is killed and the "boom" dosnt last too long.

These heads are brand spankin' new. I just got them today. I hit it and less sound comes out then what you think would come out of a floor tom, also, the sustain is killed and the "boom" dosnt last too long.

It's probably because you don't have your heads tuned to the sweet spot according to the size your shells, but your DrumDial just doesn't know this or hear this.

Dennis

Ive tried memo keys, drum torques and drum dials and other than using a memo key to tighten a loose snare tension rod during a gig after it has backed off due to rim shots i find they cause me more trouble than they save. Ive been playing the same maple kit for 12 years and experimented till i found the best head combo / tuning range and can now tune to near perfection very quickly. When replacing tom heads, batters and resos i finger tighten them, then at a 1/2 turn each bring them to 1 full turn then fine tune by ear the reso head to the highest sounding lug and the batter head to the lowest sounding lug making my reso slightly higher pitched, i tune all toms this way and the step between them is almost perfect, my snares i do the same thing but the batter head i bring up to 2 full turns, and the kick i find only needs about 1/2 a turn on all lugs, just enough to remove the wrinkles before fine tuning by ear. Once youve found the best head combo for your kit and find the sweet spot for tuning just make a note of the procedure you used and the next time you will have them singing in perfect harmony in no time at all. BTW : I use Aquarian classic clears and studio x on toms, classic clear snare bottom and coated studio x on snares and super kick with regulator front on kick but again what works on my kit may not on yours, hope this helps.

Is the resonant new too? And what kind of heads did you get?

What are you're Drum Dial setting for that drum? My guess would be that the reso is too tight (try dropping it down in increments of five.) If that doesn't do the trick, then I think you've got a dead reso.

Is the resonant new too? And what kind of heads did you get?

What are you're Drum Dial setting for that drum? My guess would be that the reso is too tight (try dropping it down in increments of five.) If that doesn't do the trick, then I think you've got a dead reso.

Yes, the reso side is also brand new. The batter side is a Clear Remo Pinstripe and the reso side is a Clear Remo Ambassador. The batter side is set to 78 and the reso side is set to 75 on the dial.

Yes, the reso side is also brand new. The batter side is a Clear Remo Pinstripe and the reso side is a Clear Remo Ambassador. The batter side is set to 78 and the reso side is set to 75 on the dial.

Try the batter at 73, and the reso at 78. The pinstripe is a muffled head, so it won't ring nearly as much as you're stock heads. Is there anyway you can post a video?

Try the batter at 73, and the reso at 78. The pinstripe is a muffled head, so it won't ring nearly as much as you're stock heads. Is there anyway you can post a video?

Actually no. I currently don't have a camera that works.
BTW, just in case... can you even return a drumhead to Guitar Center after having it for about a week?

Actually no. I currently don't have a camera that works.
BTW, just in case... can you even return a drumhead to Guitar Center after having it for about a week?

Okie doke that's cool. But if they are both new heads, you should be ok. The lower batter and higher reso like I mentioned before, should give you a good sound.

You cannot return drumheads to guitar center if you have already put them on a drum.

Back