Recommend Amp/Mixer for my Yamaha Speakers

So...a little off topic since this is a Drummers forum.

I have two Yamaha S115V speakers for a PA. I need an amp/mixer. I want to get a combo unit (like the Yamaha EMX series or something similar) rather than a Power Amp and separate mixer for simplicity sake, as well as transportation sake.

When it comes to amps and watts and ohms it's all greek to me. Can someone recommend a combo amp/mixer that would be suitable for these two speakers? I'm looking to spend between 400 and 600 (USD) if possible. I do not have any other speakers or monitors etc.

I just need something that's capable of powering these speakers. It would get almost no road use and would basically stay in my basement. Any recommendations from some Audio guys out there?

The EMX stuff is OK, but it's not the greatest. At your budget, anything will power those speakers and those speakers will handle whatever you do within your budget. So I don't think worrying about Ohm-age or wattage is going to be of any concern.

I understand you want to stay in a one-box-does-all configuration but I think you're selling yourself short here. Simply put, you may need more power in the future but you won't need another mixer. This upgrade means you'll be getting rid of both so you can up your power and then carry two heavy boxes in addition to your heavy speakers. It's best to start with separate so you can upgrade either when the needs arise. Chances are also, the circuitry won't be so much of a compromise either: the mixer circuitry will be better because that product isn't having to include power and vice-versa.

For your budget, I'd find a nice solid Mackie 1402VLZ (I saw some nice ones on eBay for $250) and then pair it up with a power amp. You can probably find a nice good Crown XLS404D (roughly about 200 watts per side) for another $250. Now you have a mixer that can handle the input coming in from drum mics with class-A circuitry and a power amp that handle the output side as well. Don't forget to invest in good cabling too!
And the cool thing is, you add your special effects too. You can find a nice Alesis Nanoverb for under $100 and that would cover everything you need.

Some may be surprised I don't recommend these newfangled mixers like Behringers or even Yamaha's boards with built-in effects. Simply fact: the Mackie and the Crown are proven road-warriors. There's no plastic on either pieces. Go for the investment, otherwise, you'll be buying new stuff sooner than you want. Good luck!

Excellent, thanks for the thoughtful response. I am going to take your suggestion and go with the 2 unit PA system since the cost seems to be about the same as a Yamaha all-in-one. I have already pretty much secured that Mackie mixer you recommended through Craigslist for 150.00 which seems like a good deal.

I'm looking at a Crown XLS1000 to power it all. Seems like it should do the trick, and is new for 300.00. Might be able to find it used for less too.

Again, really appreciate the response and the research you must have done. Thanks again!

Excellent, thanks for the thoughtful response. I am going to take your suggestion and go with the 2 unit PA system since the cost seems to be about the same as a Yamaha all-in-one. I have already pretty much secured that Mackie mixer you recommended through Craigslist for 150.00 which seems like a good deal.

I'm looking at a Crown XLS1000 to power it all. Seems like it should do the trick, and is new for 300.00. Might be able to find it used for less too.

Again, really appreciate the response and the research you must have done. Thanks again!

Very cool. Regarding the Crowns, apparently, they've discontinued the old XLS's and introduced new ones, so if you got the price for a new, go that route. At the very least, even though you're saving money, at least you have some to maybe have the mackie looked at if it's a used piece. I bought a used Yamaha O1v once long ago and discovered that the power supplies had issues on the earlier models and had to be re-soldered. Good thing I budgeted an additional $100, eh?

I have two Yamaha S115V speakers for a PA. I need an amp/mixer. I want to get a combo unit (like the Yamaha EMX series or something similar) rather than a Power Amp and separate mixer for simplicity sake, as well as transportation sake.... It would get almost no road use and would basically stay in my basement.

Separates are a hassle to move, you need a rack, extra cords, an FX unit, power conditioner, a bread box style head is so much easier, its why their so popular.

Try re-selling your separates in a year or two, its way easier to re-sell a bread box head, separates are too personalized.

Where are you going to get a super light weight 2 X 600 watts compact mixer with 10 channels, separate FX for mains/mons (100 patches each), feedback detection, dual 7 band graphic EQ, phantom power, adjustable aux in, mute switch, voice canceler (removes vocals from recorded tracks-Karaoke), even rack mount brackets for $400? BEHRINGER Make life easier.

I've heard a lot of bread box heads through the years and BEHRINGER sounds best IMO. I've talked to sound co's who rent out BEHRINGER gear and they say it's reliable as any, and sounds better too.

I agree that the separate unit approach is more of a pain, especially because of the extra cabling, box, unit etc.

Is the Behringer you recommend going to accomodate a full band (i.e. will it be loud enough to project vocals over guitar, bass, and drums)? Is it powerful enough to power the two Yamaha speakers I have? These are my concerns. From a pricing standpoint it seems like a great deal.

Let me know, because I was going to buy the separate mixer tonight at 7:30!!! (T-Minus 4 hours!). Thanks for the input too!

I agree that the separate unit approach is more of a pain, especially because of the extra cabling, box, unit etc.

Is the Behringer you recommend going to accomodate a full band (i.e. will it be loud enough to project vocals over guitar, bass, and drums)? Is it powerful enough to power the two Yamaha speakers I have? These are my concerns. From a pricing standpoint it seems like a great deal.

Let me know, because I was going to buy the separate mixer tonight at 7:30!!! (T-Minus 4 hours!). Thanks for the input too!

2 X450 watts is plenty of power for your band, the head will power 2 mains (ea 8 ohms) and two mons (same- ea 8 ohms)

Back