Remo vs Evans

gbftats

Im in the market for some new tom heads. Originally i was thinking Ambassadors top and bottom, But i keep hearing about these Evans G1 and G2 heads. I really like a warm wide open drum. None of that slappy head sound. My main complaint with the heads i have now is that they sound dead when we play out doors. Do the coated heads still project in an outdoor setting? I like the warm tone they produce.

Im in the market for some new tom heads. Originally i was thinking Ambassadors top and bottom, But i keep hearing about these Evans G1 and G2 heads. I really like a warm wide open drum. None of that slappy head sound. My main complaint with the heads i have now is that they sound dead when we play out doors. Do the coated heads still project in an outdoor setting? I like the warm tone they produce.

Heads, regardless of who makes them, will always project. The problem you're having is that you're playing outside. So what you're used to is the environment you're in. Outside, everything tends to go away because the sound can't bounce back at you, you're outside.

Either Remo or Evans will do, but to get that 'warm tone' outside, you have to mic up.

You don't say so, but I'm assuming unmiked.

If so, then I suggest stick with single-ply. They're louder and tend to be less slappy sounding than two-ply. Coated Amb over clear Amb would work fine.

Also, tune both batter and reso to the same pitch. Get them as close as you can, to get the most volume and sustain. You might also try tuning a little higher overall, as long as you stay in each drum's sweet spot.

evans a hundrer thousand times
go for the coated g2
those will sound lovely on your kit, in both outside and inside conditions
only cons is that they arent as durable as remo; at least i noticed that!

evans a hundrer thousand times
go for the coated g2
those will sound lovely on your kit, in both outside and inside conditions
only cons is that they arent as durable as remo; at least i noticed that!

I've never found evans to be less durable than remo about the same in my book. I've used both to me remo has a touch brighter tone to it, evans a little darker tone.

Like Bo said playing outside the sound just dies so to really get the sound you want you will need to mic up.

I find the differences between G1's & Ambassadors & G2's & Emperors to be negligible. To me it's the speciality heads like Hydraulics, EC's, EMADs, vs. Pinstripes, Renaissance, Fiberskyn, Suedes, etc., that separate the two companies from one another.

Personally I like the coating on Remo heads just a little better, however I use Evans heads on my 2 vintage kits because the Evans collar fits these drums just a little better than Remo heads do.

That said I like & use heads from both company but for lots of various reasons.

Back