Aquarian Head Questions.

darknessdude16

I play mainly rock/metal and im having trouble choosing some heads. I'd like you to think about Chris Adler's sound.

I've settled on Aquarian Response 2 coated for my tom batters (8", 10", 12" and 14") but what would be a good reso to match these? I'm after the modern metal sounding toms with clear air in between each hit, think of quick rolls around the toms in which you can hear definite hits. Also do you think the Response 2's will be okay on all the toms as i've heard the smaller toms can sound too stifled with some heads?

Also what would be a good Bass Reso/Batter combination from Aquarian to match the toms? I like the modern metal sounding bass, not the Ulrich click but the quick attack if you know what im after. My bass size is 22" x 18".

Yours

Adam

Last edited:
I thought Chris used classic clears on the bottom of his. Response 2 are like g2's, except that are a bit warmer.

The aquarian superkick I with a ported reso works well. Superkick 2 if you really want some extra muffling and depth.

When in doubt: use his drumhead setup.

He may use them, I'm not sure what exactly what he uses. On wikipedia it says he uses:

'Response 2 Clear Tom Batter Heads and Hi-Frequency Black Tom Resonant Heads'

Which is all fine for me on the batter side but im not keen on using black heads on my reso's so I presume that the clear Hi-Frequencys will be the same as the Black ones?

Adam

Some info from Aquarians site. In a DVD that I saw, he uses clears on tops and bottoms and a Hi - Energy on the snare and I think a Force 1 on the kick with a Regulator on the front.

TOMS (bottoms)Hi-Frequency™: A clear, single ply, thin weight head. It produces a sensitive, bright response when used as a resonant head for the bottom of tom toms. Hi-Frequency™ in Video Gloss colors: A single ply, thin weight drumhead available in glossy white or black. Ideal for the resonant side of the tom toms when a striking visual look is desired.

TOMS (tops)
Response 2™: A clear, two ply head manufactured with Aquarian’s Vacuum Process™ which eliminates air bubbles and wrinkles between the two plies. Full sound, great attack and consistent tone from drum to drum.

KICK
Force I™: A clear, single ply, medium weight bass drumhead. The Full Force™ drumheads feature an acoustically “vented” muffling ring that is tucked into the hoop on the underneath side of the head. The muffling ring has special “tone holes” that allow the ring to move and resonate with the head. This head has a powerful attack with outstanding projection. A free Kick Pad™ is included.

KICK (front)

Regulator™ Series: These single ply, resonant bass drumheads feature Aquarian’s patented “Floating Muffling System”. They are perfect companions for the Super-Kick™ and Impact™ series batter heads. The Regulator™ heads are available in Video Gloss black or white. They are available with a large 7" hole in the center, a 4 ¾" hole off set, or a full head with no hole.

SNARE
Hi-Energy™: A clear, single ply drumhead with an extremely thin layer of Power Dot™ material “bonded” to the entire surface of the head. It is reinforced in the center with a small Power Dot™. Designed for heavy hitters who want a powerful sound and a lot of durability.

Thanks for that wolfmoon. If these are correct then thats some great information you've found, like I said there is some info on Wiki but it may not be true.

Which DVD is this that you're talking about?

Adam

It was a Modern Drummer event from ..... 2006 ??? I'll have to dig it out. I don't know where it is at the moment.

Modern Drummer 2005 with Chris Adler and Jason Bittner.

Back