What do you use for snare straps?

Yes butt straps. One of the latest "inside" jokes here at DW. I don't really use butt straps, there is no such thing. It's a derogatory term I came up with that was inspired by a thread. Proper useage.... "Man that guy is a butt strap".

Other "inside" jokes.

Rediculous

Milk
Seatbelts
Going to the coast (before my time)

There must be others...

OK, now I get it.

I'm going to go adjust my butt straps now. Nice and low.

TTNW, if you're not using the American BALD Eagle bone marrow, you're using the wrong stuff and getting jipped.

I hate when they try and pass other stuff off as the real deal.
The other stuff is only 1/4 as good, but almost the same cost--if it's even Eagle bone marrow! It could be just Hawk, or Falcon--which is REAL crap. Don't be fooled, Falcon marrow is garbage.

They need to regulate the labeling better, and crack down on the people putting out the junk.

Just tryin' to keep people informed.

TTNW, if you're not using the American BALD Eagle bone marrow, you're using the wrong stuff and getting jipped.

I hate when they try and pass other stuff off as the real deal.
The other stuff is only 1/4 as good, but almost the same cost--if it's even Eagle bone marrow! It could be just Hawk, or Falcon--which is REAL crap. Don't be fooled, Falcon marrow is garbage.

They need to regulate the labeling better, and crack down on the people putting out the junk.

Just tryin' to keep people informed.

The package on mine says Eco Friendly so..

.. I suppose I'm an ass for mocking this thread a little but tell me.

Besides even tension, is there really an advantage to one kind of strap to another, as long as it doesn't stretch or break?

Besides even tension, is there really an advantage to one kind of strap to another, as long as it doesn't stretch or break?

If there is, then it's a better ear than mine who can pick it. My snares still sound like snares regardless of what's holding them in place. Once the band cranks up around me....forget it. ;-)

This is usually the part where people come in and use pseudoscience to try and convince us it makes a sonic difference...

I like the PureSound indexed nylon straps with the shepherds crook pins.
I know that the sound isn't altered by the strap.
I just like them.

I like the PureSound indexed nylon straps with the shepherds crook pins.
I know that the sound isn't altered by the strap.

Actually, the sound is HEAVILY impacted by the strap! Depending on the type of wire, thickness of plastic, and even how much of a notch is contoured out of the bottom of the snare strand ends (and how the attaching straps sit in said notch), you can have anywhere from a boxy sound to a tight, snappy sound. The Puresounds don't hold a candle to the new Evans snare straps...have you seen the new Gatzen video? He goes into all of the technological advances that their labs have spent years developing. Be sure to listen to the audio files with super-high-quality headphones, otherwise you won't hear the difference. [/sarcasm]

I just like them.

No, you don't. You're just saying that, but really, you're holding on to troubled feelings from your upbringing that you've repressed all throughout your adult life, and it's shaping the way you're hearing your snares. A couple of years of intense shock therapy and emotional fits of sobbing will do wonders for your snare sound, Bobda...

This is usually the part where people come in and use pseudoscience to try and convince us it makes a sonic difference...

Crap.

Last edited:
If there is, then it's a better ear than mine who can pick it. My snares still sound like snares regardless of what's holding them in place. Once the band cranks up around me....forget it. ;-)

Yes I agree. I like the blue puresound cord because it's easy to take in and out and doesn't get in the way, no sound difference as far as I can tell. If there is a sound difference I'd think it was would be positive, just because it's a tiny bit less material touching the hardware that's touching the drum ;)

I'm using the strap and pin system on the puresound custom pros. Really awesome, great for quick changes. I can actually carry a couple sets around and decide mid show to switch one out. I can be like, "what fits better here, a 24 strand steel wire or a 16 strand brass?" you get the idea.

Curiosity just got the better of me. I took the snare cord off my Supra and replaced it with a plastic strip. As I said before, it's clearly a better ear than mine that will discern any difference. I noticed nothing of consequence.

So in the interest of fairness, I tried it on my BB......then I tried it on my maple FF....again, nothing discernable. Certainly nothing that leads me to believe it really matters a pinch what is actually used. I guess I could keep working through snare drums, but I gave up after three considering the results were all the same and that I couldn't a/b two identical drums side by side without the changeover anyway.

Actually, the sound is HEAVILY impacted by the strap!

Tuning heavily impacts the sound. Head selection heavily impacts the sound. Shell material heavily impacts the sound. I'm just not so sure snare wires/strips or cord is anything more than negligible, Caddy.

I'm not saying there is nothing to it, but I do think that unless it's an exceptionally sensitive ear we're talking about, for the most part, the subtleties are gonna be lost .

At any rate, I don't think this is an issue worth losing sleep over. :)

It just so happeneds that I was fooling around with different snares and snare straps the other day.
I put maple hoops on my Safari snare drum and I tried a few different snare setups afterwards.
There was no noticeable difference due to the brand of snare wire and straps.
I installed 3 different brands of 24 strand med quality snares on the drum that I had on my work desk.
A Pearl, A Puresound, and a Gibraltar.
I wound up going with the 24 strand brass PureSound snares in the end.
Simply because it was the last snare strainer that I tried and I decided that it was time to play the drum!

The wooden hoops made a big difference in the sound of this inexpensive drum though.

Jules, I think you've been had...by Caddy. He's an evil jester.

Back