Did Your Parents Disaprove.

im allowed to play whenever i want exept after 10, but my dad did put his head round my bedroom door when i was little and said "you dont want to do that for a living" which i do...

My mom was very supportive early on.

She signed me up for lessons, got me my first kit, and even helped me make my dream of going to PIT come true.

However, after that, she couldn't wrap her head around that I couldn't just go apply for a job as a drummer the same way an office worker could.

Once I started getting into the starving musician lifestyle, then the disapproval came in droves.

My parents are awesome!

Both of them were in a band together and in that time I gravitated towards the drummer. so i asked for a kit for my sixth birthday and i received. It was a piece but I loved it. Now me and my Dad (Bass) jam frequently in our basement. It's awesome! We both suck but, it's still fun.

My parents noticed I had some rhythm skills, though I don't know how, and later decided to enroll me into a music school where I would be taught classical (orchestral) drumming, and later some drumste drumming. They sometimes worry that I don't spend enough time on my studies because I play too much (sometimes they were right), or that I spend too much money on it (yeah, sort of...). But they are proud that I am still an active musician - I had two brothers who played instruments who both quit.

my parents really tried to talk me out of it for two years before I started. I wouldn't give up the idea of DRUMS. My dad even took me to the music store one day and said I will buy you a guitar right now if you give up drums. I wouldn't so finally after 2 years they let me get a drumset. I could only practice when they were out of the house, but eventually my mom would let me practice when she was home.

I read a quote one time "behind every great drummer, is an equally great mother" This has to be true. I guess eventually they came around or at least my mom did, my mom sent me to lessons, and took me to buy my 2nd drumset.

My dad only came to see my play drums maybe 3 times when I was younger, and he's seen me 3 times in the past year since he has retired.

Since I got my first drum kit my parents were really supportive although my grandmother would disapprove:

"Why don't you play violin like your grandfather?!"

To answer the question...my parents approved and thank goodness they did.

I was supposed to learn piano and I now I regret knocking back piano lessons; it would have proved very handy for my drumming :)

My drum teacher...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB6vigWTR3k

...told me to buy a keyboard so it would help with my "musicality" (...and so I can learn some keyboard basics), I have one now and I think it is a good idea since I saw my drum teacher bring in the vibes one lesson.

...yes, it does help...

Learning the vibes (ofcourse you have to know keyboard stuff first) helps with precision in drumming, because you have to hit the keys precisely in the right spot (for optimum resonance) with the mallet.

Back