Charlie Watts

Very nice person, and grooving drummer.

Watts has this great "lift" thing he does with his right hand on certain beats, just on the back beat he'll throw in this 1/4 note pause that opens up the sound and makes the snare hit more up front and not buried with the hats. Very tasteful and subtle.

Thats how I started to play and still play.

A couple of years ago I got to visit the DW factory and they showed me a picture of Charlie Watts playing Terry Bozzio's monsterous kit. Needless to say it was a very funny!

Yeah, Charlie is great. The reason i first bought a china type cymbal was because of his playing on "She's So Cold."

I like to play on drums: Tumbling Dice, Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter.

All the Best,

Charley Watts is my favorite and inspiration from all the songs that I heard. I am a tabla player but I love the Rolling Stones and the way Charley plays along. Personally I like him for his modesty and simpler approach. He is my role model.

Yes, as I've delved into "Uncle Charlie" kit history a bit more, seems like he started out on Premiers (like most UK drummers), but jumped to Ludwigs as soon as he could. Had a Black Ludwig kit, and a Black Diamond Pearl kit. And picked up Gretsch, like PW states, 66-67. That makes his Gretsch kit already 10 years old when he got it.

I've read that Charlie switched to Gretsch in 1968 . Take a look at the cover of GET YOUR YA YAS OUT and you'll see him carrying a black Gretsch bass drum . He played this black kit for a few years before latching onto the natural maple 50's set he has been playing for years now . This kit was appropriated from S.I.R. recording studio in NYC in the 70's sometime . Apparently he was there for some recording , fell in love the sound of it , and made the studio an offer it couldn't refuse .

man ... Charlie is one of my absolute faves - Not only does he drum from a crossfire hurricane, but check out those threads (I bet Saville Row has done alright out of him over the years!)!!

I've had the good fortune to see him not only with The Stones, but also with his quintet at a small London club and also a couple of times at Ronnie Scotts with his tentet. Always an absolute pleasure to hear him play! I was fortunate enough to meet him and have a chat at The 100 club & the man is so humble and genuinely surprised that HE has been any kind of influence on any drummer!

Love the '57 Gretsch's too. He has a fine collection of vintage drums I believe - including some real gems (Sonny Greer's Duke Ellington set ...bought from Steve Maxwell's in Chicago)..

While I don't like the drumming of Charlie Watts in the least, I must admit he's been there so long he's sorta like an institution. And at this stage in the game with the Stones now playing well into their 80s, it would be sad to see him replaced.

Almost anyone can play along Stones music, as long as the drummer doesnt show off with theatrical chops and all...... So technically, there wont be any difference if we hear a different drummer in Stones music, but to see the stones live without Watts is a sad thing, for millions of stones fans like me.

Charlie talks you round his kit in this vid:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7PZug4854sI

Apprently bought the kit off company he had hired it off for a tour.

Love the Gretsch, have the same one in Cherry.

Incidentally never paid much attention to him until I saw the Scorsese film. I got hypnotised by his really weird style, now I cant get enough of Charlies' playing!!

His humbleness and self confidence.. thats what inspires me. He likes to be called as a band member, not a solo artist who gets hired for any type of music like Steve Gadd, who is a brilliant drummer.

Even though I am no way near Charley , I like to be like him, being a back seat guy who plays simply with a smaller kit.

There are few other drummers that I readlly admire and Charlie is in a league with few others. May you live to be one hundred with an extra year to repent!

Thanks for the beats Charlie!

GJS

Love Charlie Watts no flash,just cool my fav CW tune is "Can't you hear me knocking" great Stones tune you can hear the jazz influence for sure. too bad he looks like a mortician with a bunch of dead guys LMAO

Bonzolead

I feel bad for not jumping in the bandwagon here, but I have to be honest. I'm not crazy about his 8th note pause on the HH for the back beat, it sounds too tentative and uncontinuous to me. Sorry Charley. I don't dislike his playing, I do like his tone, but his playing just never tripped my trap. He does make the song work however.
He is a gentleman for sure, personally I like him better than his playing.
For simple styled drumming, I'll take Ringo every time. No disrespect to Charley. He's had a helluva ride.

He is a gentleman for sure, personally I like him better than his playing.

How down-to-earth and humble is Charlie? This much.

I really enjoyed this interview. The whole vid was well edited, flashing from Jazz You to his comments. Love it when he says drums are acoustically the loudest thing in a band, immediately followed by a snare WHACK

When I read ads from bands/musicians searching for a drummer, time and time again I see Watts mentioned as the kind of drummer they are looking for. Songwriters love his style, because he always makes the song groove and he's never distracting or overbearing.

Back