Favorite bass player? Only one allowed

Only one my a$$.......Francis Rocco Prestia! (John Entwhistle, Dee Murray, Sir Paul, Flea, Ray Brown, Stuka.....................) et al

There's a man in this world who actually calls himself "Flea"? That's hilarious!!

Well, since there is only 1 allowed, And my REAL favorite has already been metioned a few times, I'll mention 2 guys, that for the life of me, am shocked that NO ONE has listed so far. One for the electric and one for the upright acoustic.

Electric: Will Lee

Acoustic: Brian Bromberg (though he does play both incredibly well)

First mention of these two monster bass players? WOW!

Yea i agree, for me as Mike Poraco has had mentions - it would be Will Lee - awesome!

Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order. Not sophisticated playing, but some of the best, most emotive bass playing around.

I'm very sorry but I can't just name 1. And thats because no-one fits the bill totally for me. But here are my favourites:

Stanley Clarke (his work in Return to Forever is legendary and absurd)
Tal Wilkenfeld (she always plays sooo tasty and beautiful)
Christian McBride (wonderful discovery by Metheny. This guy always plays good and has beautiful intonation on the upright, that's where most bassplayers really lack! They can't play an upright properly. Take Clarke, he plays a lot of upright but always plays out of tune, HORRIBLE!)
Jaco Pastorius Ah well we all know the guy…

Larry, I know you want only one favorite, but as an aside, it would be interesting to think of who you think the 'game changers' were, in the various music categories.
Guys who created almost a volcaubulary all their own, which thereafter was adopted by the bass players of future generations.

Jaco Pastorius and Ray Brown come mind in the jazz idiom ( electric & acoustic ). Almost all bass players today do stuff that refers back to these two guys.

Any others? Rock? Metal? Country?

Jaco Pastorius and Ray Brown come mind in the jazz idiom ( electric & acoustic ). Almost all bass players today do stuff that refers back to these two guys.

Any others? Rock? Metal? Country?
When it comes to people who really did change the way the instrument was played then I still would suggest Stanley Clarke. His playing on the Alembic is unbelievable and idiom changing. His slapping influenced the likes of Mark King and he persued playing chords and comping with full chords which is still something most bassplayers never do (maybe an occasional 2 tone, perhaps the occasional chord but never full schemes, patterns and parts)

Another one that I would suggest that would fit into the category is Scott LaFaro who played a lot in Bill Evans' (Pianist, not the saxophonist) band. He changed the role of the upright bass in a trio setting.

Ron Carter is my favorite Jazz Bass Player.

Les Claypool is my favorite , non metal bass player.

Flea is incredibly melodic, and I feel uses it mroe like a voice where Less uses it more like a rhythmn or atmospheric instrument.

Mingus is always dominant. I think of him mroe liek a songwriter who plays bass.

Does my boyfriend count?

Only one? Larry you cannot be serious... :))

Well let's see, just one right? mmmh, who do I admire as a bass player, Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Stanley Clarke, Mo Foster, Anthony Jackson, Pino Palladino, Chucho Merchan, Marcus Miller, Roger Glover, Neil Murray, Glen Hughes, John Wetton... damn it's so hard....

Ha! got it.... Paul Mc Cartney! ... that the one ... pheeew, that was hard :)

Pino Pallidino looks like Prince Charles

Back