Todd Sucherman here!

Hi Todd!.
First of all, I'm a huge fan and I think your dvd is simply perfect!.I enjoy watching almost every day and I can't get enough of it!.

I was paying attention to the "Motif solo" and you said it had such a brazilian influence.
Do you enjoy brazilian music + drummers?.We have some great drummers here.

And my main question is, well,is not actually a question,but as you are a experienced drummer,I want to know your opinion on a decision I made in my life.

I have a daytime job (I'm 21,and I hate my job,but I can earn money to buy cymbals + gear,etc) and of course,be a full-time musician is my only dream. I recorded a cd with my band Superstitious (very influenced by Styx by the way) and I do some local gigs and recordings, and I practice everyday (i'm a drummer for 12 years now).

Last week, I had a opportunity to change my life completely. I was asked to be a drum teacher in my city!. I was thrilled and I was preparing myself so much for it.
They said if everything would run ok, I could start the day after!.

But I was disappointed for many reasons. First,the neighborhood near the school was really dangerous,and the school was hard to find. When I got there,I brought some lessons I wrote,some recordings and some other material.
The owner of the school didn't even looked at my stuff. I thought they were going to gimme sheet music to read,or whatever,I was so prepared and they did nothing,just asked me some stupid questions like "Do you read music?". That's it.

And the drum kit they had was falling to pieces,i couldn't even hear myself groovin' on that junk. And to finish,they offered me a realy small payment,that I couldn't even buy 1/4 of my gear.

I declined. I was hoping that this was going to be my chance to do what I love for a living,but unfortunately,it wasn't this time.I'm kinda disappointed.
Do you think I made the right decision?! Have you been through any similar experience?!.

By the way,you drumming really inspire me!.

All the best!.

Larta--

I did a session or two with Jerry in LA for TV/film stuff. But I just have the two tracks he did for me. He also played a solo on a tracks from Tommy Shaw's "7 Deadly Zens" record that I did most of back in '98. Terry Bozzio asked me with an open invite to do something at the drum channel, so we'll see. I'm on the road for the foreseeable future. The clinic with Jimmy was a blast. We were winging it and made it a lot of fun. Your teacher has some good thoughts to dwell upon!

Flavio--

Everyone's life is their own. Only you can know or decipher if you made the right decision. If you follow your gut and your heart, you'll really never be wrong. That's all I can really say. Follow your path. I wish you luck!

Cheers from San Francisco,
Todd

Todd, are you doing any clinics this summer near Buffalo? I had noticed you hit Toronto, Canada, that's only an hour or so from Buffalo. Please let me know your clinic schedule, I would love to check it out.

Hey Todd!

Saw you perform with Styx last night in St. Louis and had a blast! You tore it up! So smooth and fast. Everyone in the band sounded great, by far the best performance of the night in my opinion.

Wish you guys could've played a bit longer though. How much longer do you have on this tour? Best of luck on the remaining shows!

Rob

How are you Todd?

Say...I really dig your Ayotte snare drums! They are pretty hard to get from where I am at and I guess they are amazing instruments. I've never been able to lay hands on one yet but that's what I can tell from a couple of your performances, e.g. the '96 tour. I read in an interview that you used one (or two different, I can't recall right now) for both the '96 and the '97 tour with Styx and you played the whole kit at one point. These drums sounded amazing and they are very pretty to look at, as well, I find.

I wonder: How come you don't have any pictures online of your Ayotte snare drums? If I look closely, I can point out a blue one and a red 4 by 14 (which you played in '96) in MM as well as on various pics on TS.com and your myspace site. Back in '07 they where located in the bottom section of your snare wall, if I'm not mistaken. Are they "Ayotte Pro's" ? Would it be possible if you told us a little bit more about these remarkable instruments, like where and when you got them, what you like about them and maybe where the rest of the kit is today? What made you choose the Ayottes for the "Return.." tour in '96?
It would be cool if you posted some pics too on your website because they are very rare!

Did you make your start in the band with the red one in '95? If you did, it must have a special place in your heart..and on the wall too, I think :) ...if you don't mind me saying so!

It's a dream of mine to own one of those red Ayotte snare drums some time.

As always, thanks, Todd and all the best for Atlanta tonight!

Cheers from Bavaria,

Andreas

Mister Zero--

I never have clinics planned. They come up, as a dealer will invite me. That's how it works basically. No one is Buffalo has requested me! So therefore, none are planned. But I've done two clinics in Toronto and about 7 different shows (between Styx and Gowan) in Niagara Falls in the last year. Hope you catch something soon.

RWats--

Thanks, man. It was hot that night! Yeah, it's hard to play more than 80 minutes when there are three bands on the bill. This run goes through July 5th but we will be out on our own through November. Thanks for coming and checking us out.

Andreas--

I used the same 14X4 drum in '96 &'97. I have two of their snares, a 6 ply and a 10 ply 14X5.5. Any kit I had I sold when I went to Pearl. The hardware was never the same after Ray Ayotte was ousted from his company, and as soon as I went with them, that happened. I knew my stay would be brief. If you can find "Ray era" drums, they are great. I haven't played them in a long time.....maybe I should revisit those.

John,

See you then!

Cheers, you guys-
Todd

Hey T-

Really looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!!!!
]
I am going to be there tomorrow as well. Foreigner, Styx and Kansas. What year is it again?

Fav I am going to look for you.

Hi Todd!

What is the most advanced beat and fill that you've recorded?

Anyway, I just got a Zoom Q3 and started to record myself...and man I need some improvement there! Every beat, fill and crash need to be on the beat! and it's hard! But just by watching me play and listening has already made me a better player! I'm more focused than I've ever been before.
So thank you for that tip!

Delta---

Hope you enjoyed the show!

Fav---great to see you!

Larta--

I have no idea how to answer your first question. But if you need improvement, you shouldn't be concerned with complicated things. Get your simple time and vocabulary together. Slow, patient practice will pay off.

Cheers from Minneapolis,
TS

For those who are interested, here's a little clip about the upcoming "Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin" CD. The Gershwin estate commissioned the project. I'm on 10 tracks---Scott Bennett plays one and Mike D'Amico plays one. It's really a charming record. It was done old school with full band playing live, reading charts, taking direction, no click track. I miss recording like that terribly. What a complete joy!

Cheers,
Todd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCy-z3e4D9A

Doing band and orchestra in high school I became familiar with Gershwin and a fan. Rhapsody in Blue is a phenomenal song. Todd how in the world did you get that gig? That has to be a thrill. The tease sounds good, and I will be very interested to hear the rest of the album. Congrats on what had to be a fun yet challenging project.

Hey Todd!

I am the guy that said "hello" to you on the flight from Austin to DFW a few weeks back. Have as great weekend!

Gruntersdad--- I've been lucky to work with Brian on and off over the last 12 years. It's always an honor to get the call from him and this record was no different. It really was a lot of fun.

KBadd--- thanks for saying hi on the plane!

Cheers,
Todd

Hi Todd! Firstly, I have to say that I really enjoy your playing.

Next, my question. What do you think the #1 (or top3) most important skill is for getting a high-profile gig?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't read the whole thread.

Hi Todd, I just recently (finally) got your Methods and Mechanics DVD and have to say it's the best one I've seen in a long time. Any plans to do another in the future, because if so, I'll be getting it right when it comes out this time. Sorry if this has been asked already. Thanks

Delta---

Hope you enjoyed the show!

You guy are great. And Foreigner as well. I see what you mean about the tribute thing now.Lol

I was going to come by with Fav and say hi; but I will definitely bug you next time.:)

andSometimesY---

The most important thing for getting a profile gig is putting yourself in the pathway of opportunity. Then you have to deliver the goods musically and be a reliable and amiable human being. There is a lot to this and I offer some detailed career navigational ideas in my "Methods and Mechanics" DVD available here:
http://altitudedigital.com/todd-sucherman-methods-and-mechanics.html

Hope you check it out, and thanks a lot.

Adam8---

Thanks a lot for picking up the dvd and I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'm getting ideas for dvd#2 together and I hope to begin filming in Dec/Jan. There's also talk of a companion book for "M&M" with transcriptions for all the songs and solos. Thanks again, man.

Deltadrummer---

Thanks! Glad you came out and dug it!

Cheers from DFW airport,
Todd

Back