Can anyone identify this snare drum?

davor

Hey, bought this really cheap. I play e-kit and have very little knowledge on acoustic kits. Anyway, I can't find any info online about it at all! Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20171202_184325-600x1067.jpg
    IMG_20171202_184325-600x1067.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 362
Hi, I've started taking this snare drum to rehearsals, but I have to admit, it doesn't sound great. A lot of overtones, and quite a shrill sound. So I'm using a tea towel and a couple of moon gels, which has improved it.

I'm now wondering if I should spend some money on decent heads? How do I know if it would be worth it or not? And which ones should I buy?

My band is hoping to gig later this year, and I've not had much exposure to different snare drum sounds. If I can get this drum sounding good, that would be ideal. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Its a basic steel snare, but Premier generally makes good quality products. If you play only an e-kit its possible your tuning skills just need some work. Sure, new heads are always an improvement, but for a start tighten the resonant head, really tight. Also check the wires and strainer. You could post a vid on here somebody will help.
The other fact is steel can be very harsh sounding. People like it for its 'crack'.

Before you go spending any money on it, I'd suggest looking at tuning to see if you can get a sound you like. Many many people recommend Bob Gatzen tuning videos on YouTube, but there are a ton of others out there too. Play around with it, see what sound you can coax out of it.a different head could well improve matters but try retuning first.

As suggested, make sure the snare head is TIGHT. That's a common mistake.

If you feel you should spring for a new head, I'd replace the batter with a coated CS dot or genera dry, something that reduces the ring a bit. But that's just me. Others might suggest a straight 2-ply like an ambassador for a more open sound. It's all down to taste, I'm afraid.

Most snares should be able to produce a sound thats acceptable, and will be OK for now. Will it ever be your dream snare? Doubt it. Will it 'do' til you have more experience and know what sound you're looking for? Probably.

Thats just my opinion. Wish you luck whatever you decide.

Back