First Drum show. What to expect. Any advice?

Steve922

My teenage grandson has been drumming for about a year and I'm intending to take him to his (and my) first Drum show this weekend as a surprise. Its at Manchester in England.
I'm really not sure what to expect, what to take, what to anything... Any advice from the regulars will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Just looked it up. I'd go just to see Dennis Chambers and Simon Phillips.

I'm sure it'll be lots of fun!

Take a white coated head and a felt tip marker in case an autograph chance pops up.

You'll thank me for this afterwards = Ear plugs and comfy shoes

....Especially the ear plugs!! After a few hours the constant noises get way too much.

Have fun!

I see there are quite a few lessons available at extra cost. How do these work if I book one (or two) for him? Are they like lectures? Or hands on? Or.... ?

I see there are quite a few lessons available at extra cost. How do these work if I book one (or two) for him? Are they like lectures? Or hands on? Or.... ?

I don't think these are one on one lessons. It's a masterclass with a whole auditorium full of people. You just watch, listen and try to learn, maybe ask a question at the end.

Unless I am mistaken and there really are one on one lessons. I'm doubting it.

I'll be there :)

I'll likely be there too, and dragging a bass player friend with me, haha.

I'm probably only going for the Saturday, and already planned a full day : -

11.15 Thomas Lang (Main Stage)
12.00 Jost Nickel (Clinic)
13.00 Dennis Chambers (Main Stage)
14.00 Tommy Aldrige (Clinic)
15.00 Emmanuelle Caplette (Main Stage)
16.00 Craig Blundell (Masterclass)
17.00 JR Robinson

My only worry is whether each event will bleed into the other! The website only gives a start time for each event, not an end time. For instance, will Thomas Lang on the main stage take more than 45 minutes?..

Either way it looks like a great day!

I went for a lesson with Craig a couple of months back. He gave me so much material, it'll probably be a few more months before I go back for more! But go back I will.

Thanks so much for the help chaps. Following up, I have a couple questions :-

1. Earplugs - Not sure what to buy, would these be useful? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pairs-Howa...UTF8&qid=1505847930&sr=8-2&keywords=ear+plugs

2. I'm thinking of booking all three beginner lessons on the Saturday. Would that be too much for him? Also, should we bring anything along? Notebook, Sticks, anything?

3. Will there be anyone there selling stuf? New? Used? No?

I really want him to enjoy the day so any other tips......

1) They'll almost certainly distribute foam earplugs, which will do you and your grandson until you buy some better ones. There'll be plenty to choose from.

2) No idea, sorry, but if it's remotely possible and it won't be a disaster if it is too much, then yes.

3) New - yes, loads and loads and £££ loads. Used - I doubt it.

Definitely head for the Guru stand and ask for Andy. There'll be a fair few of us lurking there and more than happy to send your grandson off while we go for a cuppa.

Back