Heads for Pearl Reference Drums

brayski

I am wondering what heads would sound the best on my reference drums i am looking for a sound that is warm and deep

Try some Remo Emperor's for the batter and Ambassador's for the res.

Or Evans G2's over G1's

Seems like the Ref's have softer tone to them.

I played a set and the guy had Aquarian Super II's on the batter and they were really soft and warm sounding.

I'm not sure if a pre muffled head would do any justice on the Ref. tom's.
So I would stick to a single or double ply clear head.

The kick drum on the Ref series sound so sweet, any 2 ply head on the kick with a touch of muffling will sound good.

ya i have clear ambassadors on them now and they sound a little bit bright i would really like them to sound warmer so next timei will prob go with emperors and do you think a powerstroke 3 will be ok because i just bought one and haven't used ti yet

ya i have clear ambassadors on them now and they sound a little bit bright i would really like them to sound warmer so next timei will prob go with emperors and do you think a powerstroke 3 will be ok because i just bought one and haven't used ti yet

Are you using clear or coated Ambassadors? If you're using clears, I think clear Emperors or clear G2's will be the sound you're looking for. As far as a kick batter goes, is your reso head ported?

anyone else seeing a problem with someone spending so much money on a Reference drum set.

and not knowing what heads they like or what to try?

NO. I see someone who wanted a great set of drums and was seeking advice as to what the forum thought would make them sound their best. Isn't that what we all want??

i got my reference drums for 1900 used and its a shell pack new this year

do you think that coated emporers are ok?

I think CE's are excellent for 12" tom and >. If you have an 8 or 10 you may want to go coated amb. Reason is that I found the coated Emp's muffled my 10" tom too much for my liking. I am experiencing this on a pro Yamaha kit just to give you an idea.
Right now I'm playing Coat. Amb's all around and I am very pleased with the sound and tuning flexiblility.

NO. I see someone who wanted a great set of drums and was seeking advice as to what the forum thought would make them sound their best. Isn't that what we all want??

+1 Gruntersdad...and Thank You!

I think coated Emps would be great since you mentioned you're looking for a sound that's warm and deep (or coated G2s if you want to go with Evans). A coated Powerstroke 3 might also sound good since you mentioned it below (you didn't say whether it was clear or coated though).

Basically, any coated head will help if you want to add warmth to the drum's sound. You could also try the Suede Emperor which is textured on both sides and also a touch thicker than regular Emps (plies are 7.5mil instead of 7mil). Just another option...

The good news is that you've got a great kit so it will sound good no matter what you use!! :D

All the best,

Mike

anyone else seeing a problem with someone spending so much money on a Reference drum set.

and not knowing what heads they like or what to try?

I don't see a problem, even some professionals don't know what heads to choose all the time. Especially if the kit is new (but even if it's not), all he's doing is asking the opinions of other Reference owners. When was that ever a crime...

Back