Jerry Gaskill

well im pretty sure no-one started a Jerry Gaskill thread, who is of course the fantastic drummer for King's X for over 20-25 years. any discussion of his technique, achievements, style are welcome!! personally hes one of my biggest influences on the drums, hes not too flashy but god can he play when he wants to, just listen to Moanjam or Six Broken Soldiers. his single pedal capabilities are among the best in the business, he could give Nicko a run for his money!!

I'm a huge King's X fan and I love Jerry's playing with the band. What amazes me most
is his ability to play drums and sing at the same time over some pretty tough parts like
in their song "We Were Born To Be Loved". I also love his consistency on the kit which helps
King's X be one of the tightest bands out their.

I'm looking forward to their new album in May called "XV"..

I can't let this go with only 3 replies. The man's too talented.

I love the way he sings and drums. King's X has the three-piece chops of Rush and Triumph, with the vocal abilities of Queen. I've seen them live three times and they kill.

Great, great band with a great drummer.

His little drum break in "Over My Head" was a real lesson in doing something musically simple but oh so cool. He has great taste. Have you heard his solo album? Good stuff.

--LG

definitly. for a drummers solo album, its incredibly fluid and musical, different from say gregg bissonettes album where he explores different drumming styles and situations.

Sorry I'm coming to this party so late. I have been a huge King's X fan since FHL came out in '90 or '91. Seen them 20+ times and they are always on. Vernon Reid from Living Colour said on VH1 that they never have a bad night performing and that it’s a shame that they are not the biggest band in the world. I went through my different drummer phases, (Alex Van Halen, Weckl, Vinnie, Cobham, etc) but through it all Jerry has been at the top of my list since the early 90’s. He is incredibly fluid, tasteful, and can sing his ass off. It also doesn’t hurt that he’s a super nice guy as well. I actually got to play with them a couple of years ago at the HOB on Sunset. What a thrill. Hell, I named my dog Jerry only because my wife shot me down on naming our first son after him.

I just joined so....hi.....I've been a Kings X fan for a VERY long time. Jerry Gaskill is in my top three GREATEST drumming influnces. He (as well as his band) continue to go year after year and NEVER get the "kudos" they so truly deserve. I personally find it disgusting that drummerworld has a page dedicated to Meg from the white stripes (what a joke) & nothing that I can find on Jerry Gaskill. Can someone please tell me how this can be ???

Kings X and Spocks Beard are my two bands that I think SHOULD have "made it" but never really did.

I agree, the KX guys are all really cool and nice and humble. They're one of those bands that will hang forever after a show to meet the fans.

It doesn't hurt that they're all such monster players. I didn't really like "Ogre Tones" but their other CDs are in regular rotation for me.

Jerry does create some really great drum parts too. That part in "Moanjam" right before "I got the blues this morning" is just killer. I had trouble figuring it out by ear and when he played it in front of me here in Indianapolis I just about freaked. Too cool.

I mostly lurch around here but I have to agree that Jerry is a very skilled and very tasteful player. I've been listening to the old King's X CDs quite a bit recently and it has really struck me how much Jerry influenced my playing without me ever really being conscious of it!
I mean, not only do I love the way he holds down a groove so well, but the way he uses the kick in all the right places always makes me think 'that's the way I would have done that part'. But I know it is just that he has influenced my playing very subtly. Or maybe it is just something in the water here in Houston!

By the way, the new CD 'XV' kicks ass! Best new material in about 12 years IMHO...

For anyone reading this who is not familiar with King's X, here is lesson #1 in how to rock the f@#$ out live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMQd4quu6Rs&feature=related

Ekim,

i think you're thinking of the song "talk to you" instead of Moanjam, Moanjam doesnt have a break down section its more of a continuous tempo whereas Talk To You has the breakdown and crazy drum patterns.

both great songs! who else agrees jerry needs a drummerworld page?

I'm way late on this thread, but better late than never when it comes to supporting Jerry and the mighty X. He has influenced my drumming immensely too. He just plays so tastefully (check out the rudimental breakdown section on Fall On Me from the Gretchen record), and is the living demonstration of less is more.

And yet the man can rip when he wants to.

Anyway, Jerry's fans know he's a single bass, single pedal kind of guy. But does anyone know anything about his bass drum technique? I intend to ask him the next time I see the band live (in about three weeks), but maybe I can get some insight before then.

Thanks in advance!

im not sure. but if you have the chance talk to him. hes got a pretty crazy sense of humor, but theres no denying he's a massive force and talent.

Well, I got a chance to ask Jerry about his bass drum at a recent show. Unfortunately there was a crowd of folks milling around so I only had time for a quick question:

"Jerry, what's your best piece of bass drum advice?"

"Hit it with your foot."

You know, there's probably a piece of profound wisdom in there somewhere.

I'm way late on this thread, but better late than never when it comes to supporting Jerry and the mighty X. He has influenced my drumming immensely too. He just plays so tastefully (check out the rudimental breakdown section on Fall On Me from the Gretchen record), and is the living demonstration of less is more.

And yet the man can rip when he wants to.

absoltutely! just saw king's x last month in NYC.. god jerry can still bring it.. actually got backstage too, got to hang with him and dug (singer / bassist).. it was a night ill never forget. got to talk to jerry about how his drumming affected me, how i love his current use of china cymbal, and how impressed i was with his son's drumming on Dug's solo album (emotional animal).. good toknow jerry was very impressed too!

Can't belive I've got to resurrect my own thread... Jerry just suffered a heart attack last night and is recovering. Please wish him well guys.

Back