Bass Drum Trigger Problem

DJgrind

Ok, so I have a Ddrum pro acoustic bass drum trigger hooked onto my bass drum. I'm running it through an Alesis DM5 module. I've noticed whenever I try to do single stroke rolls with my double pedals the single stroke roll gets cut out at high speeds, even at 190bpm (It's not completely cut out but it's not a clean stroke even though I'm playing it clean). But when I hit the head with each pedal separately at the same speed, it picks that up fine.

If anyone is familiar with the DM5 module, I have the following set up:
Gain: 50
VCrV:3
Xtalk:60
Dec:20

I'm not too familiar with how to use the settings to my advantage so any advice would help!

How dampened is the bass drum?

To do triggering at higher speeds, it often needs a head with absolutely no 'give'. Otherwise you end up with mis-triggering or one beater cancelling the other out. It's worth trying serious muffling on your bass drum. That should work.

Seeing as you're using triggers, the actual bass drum sound doesn't really matter.

Well I threw a ton of blankets into my bass drum to muffle it, and the head it decently tight..

When you say it must have "no give", do you mean I should tighten the drum head until it's super tight? Or muffle the drum even more?

Thanks for the response!

Either should do it. Hopefully it should make some difference.

If you are playing metal with fast double bass,
put on Gain about 75-80, and Noise up to 80, then you will get constant kick sounds. It's impossible to play with 50 gain the way you want.

If you are playing metal with fast double bass,
put on Gain about 75-80, and Noise up to 80, then you will get constant kick sounds. It's impossible to play with 50 gain the way you want.

I disagree, I have my gain set around 40 and my noise set around 10 and I have almost perfect triggering. The kicks trigger very well and consistantly. Ive had issues with my snare triggering my kicks and this pretty much resolved that issue.

First off, You could have started a new thread rather than bring up an unrelated DM5 issue topic from 2011, but that is besides the point.

That laser thing would worry me, what if it moved, what if your bass drum was vibrating, Pizo triggers like Roland and Ddrum have owned the market for years. The Roland triggers with a TM-2 are the perfect match. I'd like to try this for a review, but wouldn't buy one yet as it would work me on a gig.

The Pizo one is a better choice but a few issue raise for me. What if the batteries die. My TM-2 I can plug in AND use batteries. This is a big deal for me. Also, Bluetooth is great, and is a nice addon to items, but we have all had our phone have a crappy conenction where we needed to restart the phone or bluetooth device. I would like to see an up/down gain button, up/down file button to change the samples, and an up/down threshold button to stop double triggers right on the module.

A huge plus side is not having to bring a module to a gig. but the biggest down fall is how long do the batteries last. I get it for a gig. but when your playing at home you have to use batteries ALL the time? there should be a power adapter as well to make it practical for all situations.

A few tweaks and this device could be very cool

Yeahh Holly thread Resurrection Batman!

I also saw that nice laser trigger module package!

Just I'm waiting for some reviews or some sort of that. Also, I'm triggering my entire set, so getting a sound output directly from this thing isn't good for me.
And then that Battery only thing,, uhmmm, not for me.
The price seems very competitive though, for what it is.

Back