The biggest gear hoarders in DW

Its not really hoarding unless they are haphazardly stacked in corners and stuff.

IMG_5634.jpg

And there is approximately 35 snare drums.

May I have the green kit....

FWIW, the vast majority of my gear was purchased new or used, and not acquired via any of my endorsements. Cymbals in particular... Probably only 10% came to me through Sabian.

Bermuda

John, I don't doubt that your accumulation is not by hard work and sweat and paid for solely by you. I hope I didn't come over in a negative light, that wasn't my intention...But it does seem we share the same passion for the instrument and the collections....LOL

For:
One acoustic set and one electronic kit, 9 cymbals, one snare. Though I am looking at a rack and an Ludwig Epic Birch I saw at GC.

Stored ( somewhat) by size, each coded under the bell (to match hats and otherwise identify one cymbal from another) and entered in a database. Most cymbals are sampled, so I can audition them before dragging them out to hear each.

But over the last few years, I've been using about 30 Sabians exclusively, and they reside in handy bags and cases, separate from the others for easy access.

I'm gradually beginning to let go of some Paistes, they'll be the first to go when it's time to purge. I suppose eventually they'll all have to go. It goes without saying that I won't be here to see that!

Bermuda

This is a methodical and genius approach. I need to do this with my drums also.

+1 on the taxes. I keep digital and hard copies of all my expenses related to music. So far more of a loss but hopefully will decrease my tax burden :)

I won't assume you mean me, but for the record - today - it's:

30 kits

84 snares

791 cymbals

Bermuda

This not fit my definition of hoarder. A hoarder would not know he/she has 791 cymbals! Pretty cool to combine a hobby and a profession- I would call that a passion!

I don't know how many I have, maybe 30- with several of those on the launching pad to find new owners. Hard to let them go. Maybe I am an embryonic hoarder.

I usually hit a satiety point with pasttimes. I am about there with drums, with a set in the basement, one in the garage, and one in storage for restoration. Maybe having 6 different Ludwig snares qualifies as a mini collection.

2 kits
2 pairs of bongos
1 djembe
5 spare cymbals
1 keyboard
1 acoustic guitar
1 wood flute
1 pan flute
1 didgeridoo
2 pairs of agogo
2 cowbells
3 maracas (grrr)
3 tambourines
2 recorders
2 pairs of clap sticks
2 triangles
1 slit drum
1 guiro
2 wood blocks
3 shakers
3 jingle bells (instruments, not bells)
1 rain stick
2 rattly shell thingies (forgot the name)
1 thumb piano
1 pair temple cymbals
1 squeeze horn

All instruments have been used on home recordings at some stage or another.

Yes, drums are great, but this is the kind of collection I've always wanted to have ever since I was a kid. My collection of stuff is lacking at the moment. Lemme see...

3 Drum Sets ('88 Tama RockstarPro, 2 Pearl-style vintage orphan sets & 1 needs restoration)

11 Cymbals (3 rides: 20" 90's Sabian Pro, 20" 70's A. Zildjian & 2012 20" K Custom Hybrid, 3 crashes: '98(?) 16" Sabian Dark Crash & 2010 19" Sabian AAXplosion, & early 80's 20" Zildjian Amir, 1 splash cymbal: a 9" Sabian Mike Portnoy Signature, 2 sets of hi-hats: 90's 14" Sabian Pro's & 2013 14" Sabian XS20 Rock, all of good quality)

3 Snare drums (14"x5-1/2" early 70's Gretsch w/ aluminum shell, 14"x5-1/2"(?) early 80's B/O Ludwig Acrolite & 14"x6.5" 2011 Pork Pie Big Black)

2 complete sets of hardware (mixed brands)

1 cowbell (LP)

1 tambourine (in the shape of a fish)

1 2011 Gibson Les Paul Jr

1 Fender 15g amp

1 Autoharp (made by my dad)

several pairs of sticks
couple packs of guitar strings
Wooden Spoons
2 Pitch Pipes
1 Shaker Avocado

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that my G.A.S. is not as bad as it could be....................but it's all relative............

Current musical collection;

5 Piece DW Collectors
4 Piece Risen custom
8 Snares - 14 x 6.5 BB is my favorite
22 cymbals - mostly Zildjian, a couple of Sabians
2 Full sets of hardware
1965 Framus Guitar
1967 Fender Coronado II
1994 Guild D4-NT Acoustic
2006 Martin Koa Acoustic Electric
2008 Seagull CT-QI performer Acoustic Electric
2008 Yamaha Acoustic
2010 Michael Kelly Dragonfly Acoustic Electric Bass
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio

here's a few pics:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I prefer to avoid the term "hoarder," as I make it a point to reconnect with, and play all of my gear, rotating snares and cymbals as the mood strikes me, and the gig dictates:

Kits:

Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select
Pearl Reference Pure
DW Collectors Exotic (curly sycamore)
Tama Starclassic birch/bubinga (main gigging kit)

Snares (15)

Guru 7x14 In_Tense padauk stave (yes, the one from the video__thanks Andy!)
Joyful Noise copper, brass (TKO), and steambent reclaimed maple solid ply
DW Vault Edge, Collectors cherry, Top Edge exotic, and curly sycamore stave (dual badged with Gon Bops)
Brady wandoo stave
Premiere One Series
Tama Star walnut stave, Starclassic bubinga exotix, Starclassic bubinga select, and Starclassic nickel over brass
Pearl Reference Pure

Cymbals:

About 40. Like most, I'm fascinated how Bermuda accounts for his inventory. Most drum shops don't keep that much inventory.

Yes, drums are great, but this is the kind of collection I've always wanted to have ever since I was a kid. My collection of stuff is lacking at the moment. Lemme see...

Sounds like a good collection to me. You just need more cowbells :)

I've always liked the bits and pieces, and these days they're useful for home recording. I never aimed to have a collection - they slowly built up over many years and then a few years ago our singer found a bag of small percussions at a garage sale and that boosted things.

I only have three kits. A sense of proportion is achieved, IMO, if one compares the number of kits to the number of cats (in this case, four).

I am slowly photographing individual items for record on my thread. It takes a long time due to my being very busy. Plus new items add to the clutter all the time and in turn make it harder to access the older items.

There is a great deal more to record including 5 or 6 kits, approx' 30 snares, 10 surdos, 20+ cymbals, loads of percussion etc. The total # is unknown at this time. As an example, I reckon I own about 40 cowbells.

If I were to add books, well it'd just be ridiculous.

I don't consider myself a hoarder. Gear is used and rented out. I have a kit and a bunch of snares for hire in a shop, for example.

4 Acoustic Kits
28 Snares
Complete set of cymbals and hardware for each kit (roughly 30 cymbals total)
My house isn't exactly "large" and I have to get creative with storage. I'll admit, I have a thing for snares - that's my weakness.

As much as I would like more gear, (especially interacting with you folk), I have one kit, (two toms and bass), two snares (one good one), four cymbals, hardware for that stuff, a throne and a drum rug.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure what I would do with more stuff...except be confused about what to take to shows. Simplicity works for me.

I prefer to avoid the term "hoarder," as I make it a point to reconnect with, and play all of my gear, rotating snares and cymbals as the mood strikes me, and the gig dictates:

Kits:

Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select
Pearl Reference Pure
DW Collectors Exotic (curly sycamore)
Tama Starclassic birch/bubinga (main gigging kit)

Snares (15)

Guru 7x14 In_Tense padauk stave (yes, the one from the video__thanks Andy!)
Joyful Noise copper, brass (TKO), and steambent reclaimed maple solid ply
DW Vault Edge, Collectors cherry, Top Edge exotic, and curly sycamore stave (dual badged with Gon Bops)
Brady wandoo stave
Premiere One Series
Tama Star walnut stave, Starclassic bubinga exotix, Starclassic bubinga select, and Starclassic nickel over brass
Pearl Reference Pure

Cymbals:

About 40. Like most, I'm fascinated how Bermuda accounts for his inventory. Most drum shops don't keep that much inventory.

We would all love to see a comparison video of all those nice snares or at least your comments to how they compare

My biggest question and issue is storage...
Any tips on nice ways to keep these things together?

I have 7 kits, 60+ cymbals, 10+ snares, orphan drums, percussion instruments, and a closet full of hardware.

So my questions are about light sources for all you vintage guys, and simple storage advice.

How do you guys keep the light out?
How do you store cymbals?
How do you store massive amounts of hardware?
I use a cymbal tree from a store plus cases and bags...

Hmm, I thought I had an extreme hoarding/gear mover thing going on, apparantly not comparing to some in this thread :). People I know do look at me weirdly when I tell them I got new drums on order though...

But in my 20 years of playing, I've owned 20 acustic drumkits, 3 digital drumsets, full cymbal setups from Meinl, Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste (too many to count specifically) and countless hardware (stands/racks).

At the moment I have 3 acustic kits, 1 digital kit, 3 snares, 18 cymbals, 2 hardware racks and a complete hardware set, 3 double pedals, 4 single pedals.

Back