Drum hobby without drumming?

Steven P

I found a new job and I don't really have time to play drums. Usually whenever I come back from a hard days work, I'm tired and achy from being on my feet all day and i don't want to play drums with sore legs. I'm able to play drums from 10am - 7pm. The thing is I'm usually at work then. When ever I finish early I'm tired, sore etc. I have gave it a bit of thought and I may need to quit playing the drums. Out of all of the hobbies I have done in my life. I have had the most fun with drums. It's the only instrument I have real interest in. everyday I'm always looking at drum covers, drum cams and drums in general on the internet etc. So you could say it's a big passion of mine. They are a REALLY big part of my life. OTHER than PLAYING the drums, Is there anything else I can do as a hobby that involves drums. I have had a few ideas such as collecting drum pedals, snares, sig sticks, fav cymbals etc.

If YOU were in my situation, what would YOU do? Remember, you can't fall back to guitar or singing or anything like that.

My first question would be- what does this new job entail and what pre-existing skills do you have which could be applied to the drumming world (if not playing)?

drum refinishing.
lots of old kits and orphan drums out there need some TLC. you can resell them.
but its a bit of work too... sanding, stripping etc, mostly with your hands.

i understand you work all day on your feet but there are also weekends, or days off?

Practice pad in front of the TV.

Practice pad in front of the computer while watching drumming videos on youtube.

Posting on here.

Okay yeah refurbishing drums would be a good hobby if you like working with wood. I dont know your situation but sounds like you just need to let your body adjust to the new job a bit more. The soreness should go away.

I recommend going digital with a good VST, DAW and midi controller. That way you can still create and record some awesome sounding beats/tracks without too much exertion.

i wish i had the answer to your question thats a tough one. here is how i see my life...

1. My Son
2. My Wife
3. My drums

if you were to take either of the first two away from me it would kill me, or i would kill you. Third would be almost as bad for me, I can't imagine not playing the drums... You take away your passions in life and whats left? I need all 3 in my life, or it would never be the same.

Thanks for the replies guys. I get days off but i'm usually still achy a little.

Is there anything I can put round my legs or something to sooth the soreness so an hr or so later im good to go?

I should have mentioned before but the sort of music I'm practicing is extreme metal

I'd quit your job because drums rule and jobs drool.

:)

Seriously though, if it really is your passion you would find a way. Buy an e kit and practice 6am everyday?

Thanks for the replies guys. I get days off but i'm usually still achy a little.

Is there anything I can put round my legs or something to sooth the soreness so an hr or so later im good to go?

I should have mentioned before but the sort of music I'm practicing is extreme metal

Give it a bit of time mate. I'll wager your body will get used to it eventually and what seems wearing and exhaustive now won't quite be as hard a slog. Much like how knackered you can get when starting an exercise regimen initially......it's a killer until the body gets used to it and what was once hard becomes routine.

I reckon within a few weeks you'll find yourself adapting to the extra effort and find that you'll be able to spend time back behind the kit without nearly as much grief as you're feeling now.

I'd quit your job because drums rule and jobs drool.

:)

Seriously though, if it really is your passion you would find a way. Buy an e kit and practice 6am everyday?

I used to play acoustic but had to switch to ekits. But after 7 am, my parents want to rest and stuff. Downstairs they will hear the banging from my bass drum. headphones or no headphones

Give it a bit of time mate. I'll wager your body will get used to it eventually and what seems wearing and exhaustive now won't quite be as hard a slog. Much like how knackered you can get when starting an exercise regimen initially......it's a killer until the body gets used to it and what was once hard becomes routine.

I reckon within a few weeks you'll find yourself adapting to the extra effort and find that you'll be able to spend time back behind the kit without nearly as much grief as you're feeling now.

From Easter all the way through to the end of summer is VERY busy a work. Much busier than it is now, and I'm struggling to get any time on drums as it is. But when ever i do have time im sore. I'm just worried at the moment I'll get used to it and start drumming again and Easter - summer I'll get very very VERY little drumming in to the point i'll be drumming 30 mins per week. It's not alot though

Keep drumming. It sounds to me like adding some basic stretching exercises into your
daily schedule will help with the aches and pains. In my mid 60's, my legs and back are
basically shot from all the abuse they've taken from working all my life. I do simple hatha
yoga stretching exercises to keep things limber. Hatha yoga is just stretching exercises
that limber up the body. A simpler solution might be a very hot shower and some simple
bending exercises before playing. Start easy and in a month or two you'll be amazed how
limbered up you get. Do not pull muscles or anything like that....go easy daily...it'll get
better...keep playing!

If I were you, I would just quit and never drum again. Why enjoy something you like? When you get home, you should remind everyone how sore you are and how hard you work. Maybe somebody will take pity on you and give you a foot massage.

Okay now remember this advise is worth what you paid for it. Again, I am not a doctor either but thru the years I have lifted weights and for the soreness of joints etc... I use THERAGESIC it is kinda like Ben Gay but the smell will go away. A couple or 3 coats will help with the aches. Hope this helps.

If I were you, I would just quit and never drum again. Why enjoy something you like? When you get home, you should remind everyone how sore you are and how hard you work. Maybe somebody will take pity on you and give you a foot massage.

If you haven't got anything useful to say. Don't say it!

Back