THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

TopCat said:
hey, im currently using the Pearl Chad Smith sig, was the first snare I bought *tear.

I'm looking to get another, I like the crack the CS has but I wanted to get something with more warmth. I have gone through this thread, but was hoping to recieve some opinions of those having played the CS and could offer an opinion on other snares in comparision.

cheers

Can´t say I´m a big fan of the CS, but if you´re looking for a drum with crack from hell (or heaven), articulation, lots of body, sensitivity, then the Brady jarrah ply 5.5x14 is awesome (I own one). Chad Smith actually uses this model a lot (according to interviews). The only "downside" to this snare is the price.

tomtom said:
Can´t say I´m a big fan of the CS, but if you´re looking for a drum with crack from hell (or heaven), articulation, lots of body, sensitivity, then the Brady jarrah ply 5.5x14 is awesome (I own one). Chad Smith actually uses this model a lot (according to interviews). The only "downside" to this snare is the price.
Ohh wow, thanks. Yeah i'd imagine that brady costs the best part of a 1000usd.

Yeah.. finaly a new snare

I bought a Ludwig 14x6,5" brass today. It was really a big upgrade from my last snare, which was a standard Tama Rockstar 14x5". I really like the loud sound from the Ludwig!
I got it for 2000,- NOK (norwegian kroner) = $300. (Yeah, it look's kinda expencive, but drums cost's alot over here).

The drumhead it came with is really bad, and I'm not sure what kind of head i'll put on. I like alot of depth (bass sound?).
I got Evans "Super Tough" on another snare i own, which really stands up for its name, but I think it's too thin. Any suggestions? I play mostly rock/heavy.

Yeah, I suck at english.

Call me Old School if you like. One thing I always get good marks for is the sound of my Drums. I use Ludwig 6ply Maple Kit with 3"x13" Ludwig Maple snare. I use Remo FiberSkyn Heads. To me the heads are the overall best sound. They are very warm and full sounding and there is really no need do even dampen them. Also I have found the older they become the better they sound.

In my dreams I have two snares. One is a 6x14 steel shell because although I can understand people who say they like warmth, the crack, sensitivity and high ring appeals to me most. I also have a 4x13 auxiliary maple snare because I want the pop and crack that this would probably give (I think!). I foolishly tried to make my rubbish 5x14 six lug unknown wood snare sound like both of these and failed dismally both times. I think I'd like a black beauty.

My 2 favorites
-6x14 Starclassic G Maple Black Cherry finish with Chrome hardware. (On special order, coming in the mail in May)
-Yamaha Mike Bordin Signature Copper 6.5x14 (Some day she will be mine, oh yes.)

Attachments

• snare.bmp
    263.7 KB · Views: 2,645
  • SGS146H.bmp
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,566
I don't know if anyone has tried the new Rush 30th Anniversary Neil Peart Snare Drum, and I know it's a bit expensive but man, it sounds awesome and looks great with a really subtle sparkle finish. I am not usually a big fan of signature stuff because it's so sound specific but this ones a winner.

love the way custom drums play.

take for instence this truth chamber snare, my dream snare, 1400 i think for a 14".

this, is my dream snare

snare76.jpg

Anyone have a Pearl Export ELX 14 x 5" snare? I'm pretty sure they are common but I saw one at the shop today for about $130 and sounded pretty good...nice pop and better than the limited selection of other snares. Any comments from those who have played them before? Wondering if I should snag it soon.

Whats up people

I've been contemplating buying a new snare, and have been looking at the Chad Smith Snare, and the Pearl Ultracast snares. I've played around with the chad smith snare at the store, and have only heard the ultracast once. I didnt really get to mess around with them like i really wanted.

obviously a difference in price, but i was wondering what anyone had to say about either of them? Would you recommend them? Is the ultracast worth the price? Does the CS sound too tin-ey?

I've been having a hardtime finding people who can give some info on the ultracast.

I'm looking for a snare i can tune pretty tight and get a good crack out of, but still have lots of ghostnotes cut though, as well as have good tone and body at a lower dynamic of playing.

Any other suggestions/reviews would be awesome.

My primary style is hard rock (ie the stylings of chad sexton (my hero) of 311, and abe cunningham of Deftones)

thanks guys

-JOE

My primary snare is a Pearl M1330 Maple Piccolo. It's got a great popping sound, and the ghost notes are beautiful. It has loads of low-end for a piccolo, and sounds good at any tuning range. 3 x 13

259011.jpg

I also have an Ian Paice signature snare which I hardly use anymore, I took the snares off and I use it as a side snare, it's got a Danny Carey-ish snare-less tone that Iike to play with sometimes.

I have a ludwig classic birdseye maple. GREAT SNARE DRUM ! But for me the best snare drum is a bel brass sonor sig Horst link 14*6.5.

Hey, I'd like to find out what Jojo Mayer used in the drummer convention. I know it's Sonor, but is it maple? Bumbinga?

I think he used an ambassador on it, since it was sonor head.

To me, it was the ideal snare sound. Any info?

what's the real diff (if any) btwn ludwigs' 400 & 300 import versions of the same
snare (both supraphonics if i'm not mistaken)?

Back