Spring tension on DW 5002 AD3...

SteveLC

Hi folks,

I decided to pick up a double pedal last week to help make my set more club friendly and to condense my set down a bit. I previously played 2 single DW 5000 Accelerators for years that were the older single chain model. I love those pedals and got very good with them.

Anyway, I thought the DW 5002 AD3's would be the most similar so I picked up a brand new set. Although the action is smooth, the first thing I noticed was the spring tension seemed really low, even on the tightest setting. They feel kind of "floppy," especially when doing slower double bass patterns. When I played the single pedals, I had the tension set medium and found this to be perfect.

My question is, does DW offer heavier springs that can be swapped out? I really feel that this would solve my problem and give me the exact feel that I'm looking for. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

same question, in need a higher tension spring! i just got a 5000cw and with spring tightened all the way, it's not enough for me. i spent 25 years with a speed king pegged all the way on tension so this dw feels a bit wimpy and slow to my foot.

same question, in need a higher tension spring! i just got a 5000cw and with spring tightened all the way, it's not enough for me. i spent 25 years with a speed king pegged all the way on tension so this dw feels a bit wimpy and slow to my foot.

Part of that feel for you is the difference between the direct drive speed kings that use a compression spring vs a chain drive with traditional spring, two completely different animals with a much different feel.

OK...I talked with a customer service rep at DW and he said that these pedals are shipped with "normal" tension springs but many prefer the "high" tension spring, which can be purchased separately. The high tension spring will work with all DW pedals that use this system.

For those interested, the part number for the high tension spring is DWSP024...

yes, i got prettty much the same reply:

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your inquiry. You are absolutely correct the DWSP024 is our hi tension spring. You can definitely swap it out. We unfortunately do not deal direct from our factory here. you will need to contact your local DW dealer for pricing and sales information on it.

By the way I also like a lot more tension so I use this DWSP024 spring too.

Back