Decision Time: New Kit or Camera

Sorry Homey, but no 15 yr old deserves a 10K car. ; ) I'm sure you have a 15 yr old around....go buy one for em.

WTF!...Thats a real nice thing to say. :/

I dont know you but you sound like an ok kid to me, what with the hole family vaca's and school trips with nice photos and all.
$10,000 is not exactly a ton of dough for a car these days but they could get you something used in good condition for less.

Anyway, about the whole kit vs camera thing?. I dont know anything about Ludwig Accents but if youre gonna get a different kit, it needs to be much better or you wont be happy,so pick the right one.
Gretsch Cat Maples are good sounding, good quality (for mid grade kits) but I dont know if they are any better than your Luddies.

If it were me, I would buy a decent camera and a good kit. JMO though. :)

ASK YOU PARENTS IF AND HOW MUCH THEY MIGHT SPEND ON A CAR FOR YOU AND IF IT IS NEAR 10K, ASK THEM IF YOU COULD GET A DECENT 5K CAR, TAKE THE REMAINING CASH AND WHATEVER YOU CAN ACCUMULATE PLUS WHATEVER YOU CAN GET FOR YOUR CURRENT KIT AND CUSTOM ORDER A KIT TO YOUR LIKING. YOU COULD GET A BOMB KIT FOR 5K. EVEN A BETTER SET UP FOR ANOTHER 2K IF THATS WHAT YOU CAN SAVE. THE CAMERA IS SOMETHING THAT IS NEW TODAY AND OUTDATED TOMORROW. NEXT YEAR YOU'LL BE ABLE TO GO TO SAM'S CLUB AND GET A CANON 35000D WITH 650 MEGAPIXELS FOR $399.

If you want a camera here is my 2 cents as a long time photo enthusiast: DONT invest money in camera bodys. Invest money in lenses. Bodys will be outdated real soon (sooner than you like). A great lense will stay a great lense forever.

I say: Used Nikon D80 something similar + plus used 50mm f1,8 or used 35mm f1,8 is all you'll need.

Ok, I am a big time Nikon fan (because I can't afford Leica, hehe) but I'm sure that Sony offers something similar. The difference might be, that with Nikon there is a huge market for used lenses that are still great.

I just scored a Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 from 1988 for a few bucks which still takes great pics.

Never forget - just as with drums: The camera and the lenses or the drumset matter 1%, the guy behind the camera or drumset 99%.

Therefore: You have a drumset, make the best out of it. You don't have a camera. Easy decision.

I suspect you are from Europe to dislike Western society like that! Wanting stuff happens in many other places, even non-Western societies.

So what the heck does that have to do with being a european? Is that the prejudice that americans have about europeans? That we don't like western society? Why do you mention this? Does that help this thread?

You know.... we also have some prejudices about americans I guess, but if you ask me, I think we would all be better off, to leave this kind of stuff out of this forum.

Edit: @Bo Eder: never forget that Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography, so he can NEVER be wrong. Ken Rockwell can hold his camera so steady, he can shoot a 600mm lense at night and f22 without using a tripod. He can also get more DOF out that same lense at f4 than you and I could get get out of a 14mm Lense at f22.

2nd Edit: Ken Rockwell once went to Nikon, asked for an L-Lense and got one.

First off, I'm glad there are young folks still willing to do yard work. The last question you asked was whether to save or spend, so that's what I'll address. I would recommend saving. Its a skill that will benefit you the rest of your life. You will need to learn to save and budget for buying houses, cars, and other necessities. Anyone can spend, many don't learn to save. The current economy here in the States attests to that.

That said, you didn't mention if you currently are taking pictures as a hobby. If you go the spend route and get a camera, consider a cheap used camera, or ask someone who trust you to lend you a camera for a spell. Specialty items (cameras, bikes, golf clubs, telescopes, pool tables, etc) have a way being purchased, used for a short spell, and then sitting unused. I'd be hesitant to spend a lot on my first camera.

I'd talk to my parents about what their expectations are about you driving, and then buying a car. That's not something my parents allowed me when I was 16 :-(. And dont' forget, driving is the act that keeps on giving/taking: Insurance every month, gas every week, planned and unplanned maintenance and so on.

Homey, so I guess this is a pissing contest now. Well, piss away. My "kids" are 29 and 28. I DID get them both cars.....actually more than one each, beeotch. I simply said "NOT A 10 K CAR". Enjoy your kids......they are gone before you know it. Don't keep pissing.

My 16 year old does (now 18). Maybe yours doesnt.
And I already have bought him a $12,000 car.

I'm glad I dont think like you. : )

Gee, sorry homes! Don't wanna ruin yer day. Peace.

Back